Which tailpiece for my G5422?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by WilburBufferson, Sep 27, 2021.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Electromatic

Jan 23, 2017
    Canada
    I am thinking of removing the Bigsby on an incoming 5422 in favor of a hardtail/tailpiece. I really like the look of the Harp Tailpiece on the Tim Armstrong model, if I can find one. I already have a shorter/chrome one with the G cutout on hand. My question is, looks aside, are there any performance or technical issues I should be aware of such as overtones or buzzing if I go with one versus another?

006-2745-000.jpg tmg4ovym0jlmpcoa7yy2.jpg

Craig Encinitas and Paulie26 like this.
  2. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I use the G cutout one on two of my Jets and they are rock solid. You might get some mild overtones depending on how you play but that can be dealt with. It’s never been an issue for me and I play loud rock. No experience with the harp tailpiece but it would look awesome for sure.

Craig Encinitas and Paulie26 like this.
  3. WilburBufferson

Jan 23, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks! I can't seem to find a source for the harp tailpiece. Especially in gold which is what the new guitar is appointed with.

Paulie26 likes this.
  4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    guitarpartsresource.com has this one for about $50 that would look great on there...

Gretsch tailpiece.jpg

Archtops, Waxhead, jfassett and 2 others like this.
  5. WilburBufferson

Jan 23, 2017
    Canada
    I called Gretsch/Fender and apparently they don't offer the tailpiece as an aftermarket part. The chrome one (above) looks good but it doesn't come in gold.

Craig Encinitas and Jeff67 like this.
  6. Clejmac

Clejmac Electromatic

Dec 24, 2020
    Cleveland
    I had a Gold Country Club tailpiece installed on my G5422TG. I purchased it off Reverb for $125ish. Screenshot_20210727-174019_Gallery.jpg

Paulie26, Jeff67, Archtops and 2 others like this.
  7. Craig Encinitas

Craig Encinitas Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Encinitas, Ca
    I’d have to go with a custom tailpiece…

But, I want to de-Bigsby my 6659.
    Doing so would expose the screw holes for the tension bar mount and the lower ones at the strap button. It’d be fun to switch it up, though.:D

8. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Another option: if you just want to disable the Bigsby, you can replace the spring with a dowel. It'll play like a regular tailpiece and you won't need to worry about holes.

Archtops, Craig Encinitas and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.