Which pickup position do you use most?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Frank_NH, May 30, 2015.

  1. Frank_NH

    Frank_NH Synchromatic

    847
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I've been playing a lot of gigs lately with my 6120N (with the DSW as backup), and the band I play with does mainly rock, country rock, and blues (e.g. Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, BB King, Buddy Holly, and even an AC/DC song!). I have my overdrive on probably 75% of the time and it seems I'm always using the bridge pickup as this contrasts well with the other guitar player especially if he is playing acoustic. For blues though I'll at least start with the neck pickup (and usually end there), while for rockabilly numbers like "Stray Cat Strut" I use the middle position. But mostly, it's the bridge!

    I was wonder if other folks end up on the bridge pickup as much as I do...:D
     
  2. dankas11

    dankas11 Country Gent

    Age:
    50
    Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    bridge on the gretsch, neck on the Jazzmaster.
     
  3. speedicut

    speedicut Friend of Fred

    Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Seems like I'm always in the middle position with the volume of the neck pup rolled back a bit..
     
  4. GretschSwing

    GretschSwing Country Gent

    Age:
    55
    Jan 27, 2014
    Howell, MI
    Almost always in the middle position on the two Gretschs, 6196 and 6120EC, and mostly the neck on the Epi Broadway.
     
  5. Henry

    Henry I Bleed Orange

    Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Middle probably plurality of the time. Bridge the lease, only with higher gain which I don't usually do with my group.
     
  6. BarryMClark

    BarryMClark Country Gent

    Age:
    46
    Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Neck position with the mud switch in the darkest setting
     
  7. Robbie

    Robbie Friend of Fred

    Age:
    68
    Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Primarily neck and switch to both sometimes for more BB style single note lead stuff.
     
  8. Lizardkinged

    Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

    Age:
    35
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Mostly bridge, but I do like a good neck pickup and a middle combo... also a middle combo out of phase. so I dunno. Just depends on my mood or which set of guys Im playing with lol.
     
  9. GuyaGuy

    GuyaGuy Gretschie

    222
    Jun 9, 2014
    Brooklyn
    Bridge. Anything else just demonstrates a fear of standing out.







    :D
     
  10. MTurner

    MTurner Friend of Fred

    Age:
    65
    Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Thanks for the tip. My playing sucks so bad, I'd better lock my 5120 on the neck pickup!

     
  11. GuyaGuy

    GuyaGuy Gretschie

    222
    Jun 9, 2014
    Brooklyn
    I was obviously joking but it did take me a long time before I was comfortable playing lower output bridge pickups. Neck Gibson-type buckers just have more compression and muffle the attack.
     
  12. Hammerhands

    Hammerhands Country Gent

    Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Middle position, but with the bridge rolled back.

    On the Tele, and most other guitars, it's neck only.
     
  13. jacodiego

    jacodiego Gretschie

    162
    Mar 24, 2011
    california
    Bridge 95% of the time...I do enjoy the other 5% at the neck. I rarely use the middle position...in fact, I could use a 2-way pickup selector and be perfectly happy.
     
  14. nadles

    nadles Country Gent

    Middle on my Gretsches.
     
  15. robert beasley

    robert beasley Electromatic

    26
    Apr 25, 2015
    woodburn ky
    Mid with mud sw in neutral on lead, on dark on rythm. Vol pots about 50/50.
    I play mostly country with a little old rock.
     
  16. Tinman46

    Tinman46 Country Gent

    Dec 19, 2011
    Nope
    Mostly bridge, occasionally both, rarely neck.
     
  17. chairman

    chairman Gretschie

    256
    Jul 9, 2014
    St. Louis Mo.
    With 5422/BT p/u's clean, I use middle and neck to get warm yet detailed sound.
    Fuzz- Neck or bridge.
    Overdrive- middle and neck. The modulation effects also factor in.
     
  18. Dostegrar

    Dostegrar Country Gent

    Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    I like to lean against a lamppost with one elbow while crossing my legs at the ankles with my derby tipped slightly over my eyes and a lit camel hanging from my lips.
     
  19. workknot

    workknot Country Gent

    Age:
    80
    Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    Mostly the neck and the mud switch up with my White Falcon and a Brass Tone Chambered bridge.
    "Pops"
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.