which model says “Gretsch” more than any other?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by DoubleDropD, Oct 16, 2021.

1. DoubleDropD

DoubleDropD Electromatic

Oct 14, 2021
    Denver
    Just joined the forum and hunting for my first Gretsch.

wanting to get my bearings on the Gretsch landscape.

What model says Gretsch like no other. The model everyone should have?

2. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Welcome to the forum!

You'll get plenty of ideas, but personally, I think some variation of a Nashville/Chet Atkins/6120 style does the trick.

Others will recommend a Jet of some kind.

Those are the two styles the legend's built on. Sort of the Tele and Strat of the Gretsch line-up. Undeniable classics.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Although some will say The White Falcon .....this does it for me . My ( 2006 ) 6120-1959 Chet Atkins
    IMG_0009 2.JPG

4. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    Definitely a 6120 followed by a Jet.

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    The 6120 is the most iconic Gretsch model.

6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

6120. No doubt about it.

7. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    32CCDBD2-FD1A-4A3E-BF3F-1908D5ACD7EF.jpeg
    Most iconic- coolest- prettiest

jdr1014, manunk, MichaelRopp and 10 others like this.
  8. DoubleDropD

DoubleDropD Electromatic

Oct 14, 2021
    Denver
    I was thinking 6120 based on my poking around. Can anyone give me a primer on them?

For instance, there are two for sale right here at the moment. One DSV the other VS (what’s that)? Is the G Brand mean anything? How many reissues have been offered and what should I know about those different runs?

9. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    To me, when I think of Gretsch guitars, the Country Gentleman that George Harrison played comes out on top of the list. But there are so many others, it is not easy to say that just one defines the brand.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The 6120 is the one. It was the model that made Gretsch famous thanks to Chet Atkins and Duane Eddy. Now it's most associated with Brian Setzer, who is identified with the modern brand. If you ask people what Gretsch is best known for, many will probably answer "rockabilly." That's thanks to Setzer as it wasn't the rockabilly guitar of choice in the 50s except for Eddie Cochran. The iconic orange also flashes Gretsch to the world.

The second choice is one of the George Harrison models - Duo Jet, Country Gentleman or Tennessean. Those models were for a time the most popular in the world thanks to the Beatles.

Lastly the White Falcon, being both the blingiest of the models and played by some modern hard rockers like Billy Duffy and John Frusciante.

Take your pick of any that you like - you can't go wrong with any of them - but nothing says Gretsch like a big orange hollow body.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    MTurner, section2, mrfixitmi and 10 others like this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    A good 6120 is a great choice. It's an iconic model in the Gretsch line up.

20200802_174931.jpg

Londoner, Fatboymac, Wavey and 14 others like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yup. The 6120. No doubt. It comes in a bewildering array of versions….. i always go to the Gretsch Pages forum for a good run down of the history and versions of any gretsch model.
    72D086C1-0DA7-45B2-BCC9-387493C9364C.jpeg

14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The model with the mutes built in just screams Gretsch!

16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Current models can be found in their catalog and web site, which also highlights several different signature artists, so you can see there is a wide variety of folks using Gretsch guitars in old and new ways.

Choose your own adventure!

https://www.gretschguitars.com/support/catalogs

instead of looking for a guitar that screams Gretsch, you can find a Gretsch that screams @DoubleDropD

17. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    For me is was always the Country Gentleman for my time period growing up.Harrison’s use of the model along with Atkins in the sixties played a big role in how I viewed a Gretsch model. In saying this there is no denying Setzers use of the model in the 80s really connected everyone back to early Atkins, Cochran and Eddie along with the 50s vintage movement. Don’t forget Atkins predominately played a Country Gent both single and double cut. The popularity of the 6120 is undeniable now and both guitars represent what best of the Gretsch company. Choose what suits you best..

Gretschman2, Xochi2, Synchro and 3 others like this.
  18. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    You know in a way the Country Gent hasn’t had the same amount of model tweaking Gretsch shows the Duo Jet and 6120 in terms of colors and minor model tweaks. Maybe in the future it would be cool to see some colors added to the 62 model instead of a custom shop line.. I know they had a white version and a custom shop Green. There has been a black special run. Love to see some colors like deep maroon small sparkle, lime gold or a sea foam blue or something. How about a 64 model with Supertron? That would also be cool

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  19. DoubleDropD

DoubleDropD Electromatic

Oct 14, 2021
    Denver
    Is the country gentlemen the same as the country club?

20. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

That's got to be one of the prettiest tops I've ever seen. What would you call the grain on that beauty?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.