Which amps for Rockabilly? Fender, Marshall questions

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by yoshiii, Nov 21, 2021.

1. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I use a Tonemaster Deluxe, or a Strymon Iridium. Rockabilly didn't really roll into the sixties, so Setzer is not even a thought for me when it comes to Rockabilly.

2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I don’t know much about the Rectoverb, but on the Mark Series Mesas, the key to getting a Fender rockabilly sound is the presence control on the back.

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Great speakers (my favorite speaker) but I don't think they would hold up too long in a Twin amp.
    They are rated 15 watts each. The Twin puts out about 80 watts. The creambacks might be a better option. They make both an alnico version and a ceramic version. I like the way both of them sound. The alnico version sells for around $300 while the ceramic version sells for about half of that. I tried a ceramic creamback out a few months ago - it sound really good with my 65 Deluxe and even better with my Marshall Jubilee amp.

Shock and Tele295 like this.
  4. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Rockabilly...

Here's Lucky 13, a small band from Nürtigen / Germany, where we played together at the Nürtingen Musik Nactht - my cool friends Annie (Bass), Thomas (Drums - he's the French member), and Eddie (Guitar, lead Vocals) that our band invited several time in France for the 21 June Music Fest...

The amp that Eddie uses nearly all the time is a cheap little solid-state Danelectro 25Watts : it can be seen on the video below, near his purple G6120 at the right.

[​IMG]

Another picture that I took at Belsers KellerTraube Pub in Nürtingen in May 2017, when my band "Music85" was there - you recognise again the little Dano amp at the right :

upload_2021-11-23_17-8-49.png

upload_2021-11-23_17-10-10.png

Eddie has a killer dirty tone :cool::cool::cool: with his Gretsch and his Danelectro, trust me... I was on stage beside him with my SF PR and it did really no better o_O than his little Dano amp !

So IMHO @yoshiii , if you already have a Gretsch, most of the road to Rockabilly is done... ;)

A+!

new6659 likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I’ll have you know, this thread has revived my interest in a 6g6b blonde batsman type amp.

6. felix277

felix277 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Germany
    Hi,

If you use a Fender Blues Junior or a Blues Deluxe, better a Bassman you get an really good Sound. I'm using an Marshall Origin 20C with a little bit of a Reverb Pedal and a Deley Pedal.

But I can recommend you this Video:

7. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Forgot about that IMPORTANT detail, I believe you are correct, and creamback is good for just everything

Is it possible to make a Jubilee sound bad? honestly

Shock and Gretschtim1 like this.
  8. garagegods

garagegods Electromatic

Sep 30, 2021
    Los Angeles
    in no way shape, form or sound does Marshall scream out Rockabilly to me! gotta have that classic fender spring reverb that's what makes the Rockabilly sound!

swivel likes this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Actually when Rockabilly was born back in the 50s there wasn't any reverb on Fender amps. It was the slapback echo that gave rockabilly it's sound. Even today Brian Setzer is still using tape echo live and in the studio.
    Marshall amps wouldn't be my first choice to use for rockabilly guitar but some Marshall amps (not all of them) are capable of some very good clean sounds - mainly the older ones before triple gain stages became the norm. The low gain input on my 50 watt 800 and on my Silver Jubilee has a pretty nice clean sound if you take the time to dial it in. Lots of guys just always plug in to the hi gain input and that is not gonna ever be clean enough to play rockabilly.

chicago slim, MIke M and garagegods like this.
  10. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I'm Using a Mesa Dual Rectifier and it definitely can get some good Rockabilly tones, but i'd suggest to get the Nocturne mystery brain too.
    I've been Using that Combination for quite a while now.... Gretsch, mystery brain and Mesa Dual Rectifier.

But i'm Using the distortion channel most of the time since i play more Psychobilly than Rockabilly

Waxhead, Henry and Shock like this.
  11. felix277

felix277 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Germany
    Guys be honest, the biggest part of the rockabilly sound is you and your playing. An amp may helps you to define it.

Henry and Tele295 like this.
  12. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I saw Scotty Moore play through a Peavey Delta Blues, and he sounded just like Scotty Moore from 50 years previous

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Rectoverb cleans & reverb are excellent - similar to Lonestar.
    Very few people commenting here would ever have played a Rectoverb.

For rockabilly a Rectoverb is better than any Marshall, Vox, most Fender amps and certainly better than any amp mentioned here imo.

You don't need any pedals.
    You don't need a speaker swap either.
    Save your $$ and enjoy the Rectoverb - it has everything you need :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Wow, it even has built in slapback delay?

15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2021-11-25-11-14-26-1.png Best ever Rockabilly amp....Martin D28.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    new6659 likes this.
  16. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Yes, yes… yes yes and yes..
    If your amp has pre and master volume, turn pre to Zero and open up the master 3/4 to full. Then use your preamp as your master volume control. This should open up your amp n make it more touch sensitive..
    I’d add a Nocturne BS 301 for slap back and cleaner pre amp boost…
    Maybe a V30 to your amp..
    All things I did….

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.