Which amps for Rockabilly? Fender, Marshall questions

S.R.Cash

Gretschie
Aug 29, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I use a Tonemaster Deluxe, or a Strymon Iridium. Rockabilly didn't really roll into the sixties, so Setzer is not even a thought for me when it comes to Rockabilly.

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
I don’t know much about the Rectoverb, but on the Mark Series Mesas, the key to getting a Fender rockabilly sound is the presence control on the back.

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
Just get a Milkman Amp :)

I think you are looking for Celestion Blue speakers
Great speakers (my favorite speaker) but I don't think they would hold up too long in a Twin amp.
They are rated 15 watts each. The Twin puts out about 80 watts. The creambacks might be a better option. They make both an alnico version and a ceramic version. I like the way both of them sound. The alnico version sells for around $300 while the ceramic version sells for about half of that. I tried a ceramic creamback out a few months ago - it sound really good with my 65 Deluxe and even better with my Marshall Jubilee amp.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Rockabilly...

Here's Lucky 13, a small band from Nürtigen / Germany, where we played together at the Nürtingen Musik Nactht - my cool friends Annie (Bass), Thomas (Drums - he's the French member), and Eddie (Guitar, lead Vocals) that our band invited several time in France for the 21 June Music Fest...

The amp that Eddie uses nearly all the time is a cheap little solid-state Danelectro 25Watts : it can be seen on the video below, near his purple G6120 at the right.

arton206.jpg

Another picture that I took at Belsers KellerTraube Pub in Nürtingen in May 2017, when my band "Music85" was there - you recognise again the little Dano amp at the right :

upload_2021-11-23_17-8-49.png

upload_2021-11-23_17-10-10.png

Eddie has a killer dirty tone :cool::cool::cool: with his Gretsch and his Danelectro, trust me... I was on stage beside him with my SF PR and it did really no better o_O than his little Dano amp !

So IMHO @yoshiii , if you already have a Gretsch, most of the road to Rockabilly is done... ;)

A+!

WingZero

Electromatic
Oct 21, 2021
Québec City, Canada
Great speakers (my favorite speaker) but I don't think they would hold up too long in a Twin amp.
They are rated 15 watts each. The Twin puts out about 80 watts. The creambacks might be a better option.
Forgot about that IMPORTANT detail, I believe you are correct, and creamback is good for just everything

it sound really good with my 65 Deluxe and even better with my Marshall Jubilee amp.

Is it possible to make a Jubilee sound bad? honestly

garagegods

Electromatic
Sep 30, 2021
Los Angeles
in no way shape, form or sound does Marshall scream out Rockabilly to me! gotta have that classic fender spring reverb that's what makes the Rockabilly sound!

Gretschtim1

Country Gent
Dec 4, 2012
Dundalk, Md
in no way shape, form or sound does Marshall scream out Rockabilly to me! gotta have that classic fender spring reverb that's what makes the Rockabilly sound!
Actually when Rockabilly was born back in the 50s there wasn't any reverb on Fender amps. It was the slapback echo that gave rockabilly it's sound. Even today Brian Setzer is still using tape echo live and in the studio.
Marshall amps wouldn't be my first choice to use for rockabilly guitar but some Marshall amps (not all of them) are capable of some very good clean sounds - mainly the older ones before triple gain stages became the norm. The low gain input on my 50 watt 800 and on my Silver Jubilee has a pretty nice clean sound if you take the time to dial it in. Lots of guys just always plug in to the hi gain input and that is not gonna ever be clean enough to play rockabilly.

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
I'm Using a Mesa Dual Rectifier and it definitely can get some good Rockabilly tones, but i'd suggest to get the Nocturne mystery brain too.
I've been Using that Combination for quite a while now.... Gretsch, mystery brain and Mesa Dual Rectifier.

But i'm Using the distortion channel most of the time since i play more Psychobilly than Rockabilly

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Hello

I want to start playing rockabilly so I want a amp that will get close to the Brain Setzer type of rockabilly/jazz.

I have a Mesa Rectoverb 25. Since it is kind of Fendery in the clean channels, would this amp be good for it?

What Fender amps besides a Bassman will be good to use? Blues Deluxe? Hotrod Deluxe? Super Sonic?

Will Marshall amps get the sound close? SV 20?, DSL 40CR? Origin?

Vox Ac15 c1?

Rectoverb cleans & reverb are excellent - similar to Lonestar.
Very few people commenting here would ever have played a Rectoverb.

For rockabilly a Rectoverb is better than any Marshall, Vox, most Fender amps and certainly better than any amp mentioned here imo.

You don't need any pedals.
You don't need a speaker swap either.
Save your $$ and enjoy the Rectoverb - it has everything you need :)

Last edited:

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Rectoverb cleans & reverb are excellent - similar to Lonestar.
Very few people commenting here would ever have played a Rectoverb.

For rockabilly a Rectoverb is better than any Marshall, Vox and most Fender amps imo.

You don't need any pedals.
You don't need a speaker swap either.
Save your $$ and enjoy the Rectoverb - it has everything you need :)

Wow, it even has built in slapback delay?

SLICKFASTER

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2009
USA
Hello

I want to start playing rockabilly so I want a amp that will get close to the Brain Setzer type of rockabilly/jazz.

I have a Mesa Rectoverb 25. Since it is kind of Fendery in the clean channels, would this amp be good for it?

What Fender amps besides a Bassman will be good to use? Blues Deluxe? Hotrod Deluxe? Super Sonic?

Will Marshall amps get the sound close? SV 20?, DSL 40CR? Origin?

Vox Ac15 c1?
Yes, yes… yes yes and yes..
If your amp has pre and master volume, turn pre to Zero and open up the master 3/4 to full. Then use your preamp as your master volume control. This should open up your amp n make it more touch sensitive..
I’d add a Nocturne BS 301 for slap back and cleaner pre amp boost…
Maybe a V30 to your amp..
All things I did….

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
An old thread but I'm joining in cos the Danelectro Nifty Fifty was mentioned earlier. I never thought I'd say I'm playing through a 25w solid state amp....and loving it! So much so that I bought another! Turned up loud with very little gain, they sound amazing. Loud enough for a drummer too. I check eBay regularly for em for spares. Not as cheap as they used to be, word is getting out

Latest posts