Which amp to chose?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by jakjar123, Feb 14, 2021.

1. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Is that a preamp? I'm only getting into the electric world now haha. From what I've seen they don't sell them in the UK so I would have to order from the states and that's a pain cause I would have to add 20% tax on it plus postage so it would cost around $500 total. At that point it would be same price as the DRTM I just got. Plus getting the pedals, again, from US with the tax, I would be looking at paying an extra $1000 altogether which is beyond the TM. Would that really be worth it to add all those things to the little JC-22 haha? The preamp and the pedal would cost me almost twice as much as the amp which I got on sale.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I couldn't say. I know a few on here gig or did gig over there and have purchased it. They could tell you better if it was worth the money. I have a fair few Nocturne pedals and find them to be top-notch and work very well with My Penguin and my Strats. Maybe @Trash Kidd can give his thoughts. I think he has one.

3. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Yes I’ve had my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb almost a year now.
    I can’t say enough good things about this amp! Fender got this right..
    I don’t care what anyone says but you really can’t tell this is not a tube amp!
    The cleans are awesome.. classic Fender cleans.. Dial the volume to about 6 & it breaks up nicely.
    The built in attenuator on the back means you can play this amp at low volume levels if you wish & it still sounds incredible.
    The DI has been invaluable for recording & you could go straight into a PA for live gigging if you wish.
    I’ve owned Vox, Fender, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, Peavey, Laney amps over the years & i can say this is possibly the best amp I’ve owned & weighing in at only 23 pounds I can carry it with my little finger!
    I highly recommend these amps...

Randy99CL and jakjar123 like this.
  4. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Ok so I got the amp and compared it to the JC. From my experience, the JC is a lot darker. It actually sounds muffled compared to the Fender. I recorded both with a phone just get a rough idea as well. I turned the treble down as low and bass as high as I could on the Fender. Then it almost matched the tone of the JC with treble at 3, mids at 4 and bass at 7. Being 100% serious, the neck pickup on the Fender is about the same as the middle pick up on the JC.
    So I prefer the mids and the lows of the Fender. I like the highs equally even though they are totally different. The only thing that the JC wins in is the reverb. The Fender one is just overpowering and I keep it at about 2.

So with all that being said I am leaning towards the Fender. It's almost twice the price but the thing is, if I put the highs and mids higher on the JC the sound is harsh whereas if I want the more bassy sound, I can lower the tone on the guitar on the fender and still have the highs sounding nice. While the JC has a nice sound at the setting I got it, it doesn't have the same mid range of the Fender which is what you want for fingerstyle. Within minutes I got the Chet tone I was looking for more or less. Overall, I'm not sure if the Fender has a "better" tone but it is different, so I'm still not 100%. I feel like the Fender allows the guitar to sound more Gretchy as it takes the midrange a lot better.

Edit, I realised that the 1st channel has almost a bright switch that's always on, but even when turning the bright switch on the JC, it just made it more "quacky" for lack of a better word.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  5. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    I agree, it's got an awesome sound for sure and very versatile, I very quickly found good tones for Jazz, Blues, Fingerstyle, Funk and Country that I liked. I think I will keep this one because when I move into uni accommodation in a couple of months, I will be able to play plugged in without sacrificing tone. I honestly find the power attenuation amazing. If you wanted to keep that on a tube amp you would have to go for something like the OX. With this the quality seems to not change at all so I would also recommend this amp for sure.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Sounds like you made a good choice with the Tone Master.

7. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    There’s a firmware update on the Tone Master to do , well a couple. Bright cap mod which makes it take drive pedals much better... less spikey sounding & there’s also a reverb update to tame that reverb... Definitely worth doing & you can reverse it at any time..

jakjar123 likes this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How about the Mystery Brain, don't you have one of them? Does it play well with the TM?

Trash Kidd likes this.
  9. crossthestyx

crossthestyx Electromatic

Oct 20, 2020
    not here
    If you want to do Chet Atkins, then you should start with looking at his gear.
    https://equipboard.com/pros/chet-atkins

I personally think you're going to be happiest with a tube amp that has a great speaker. Sound is no place to be cheap. The better your sound is, even in your bedroom, the more you will enjoy playing. Which in turn, means you'll play more, get better, and believe it or not, a great tone actually makes you play better. Trust me. You got a nice guitar, plan on spending for a nice amp. You'll thank me. ;)

MotorCentaur likes this.
  10. crossthestyx

Oct 20, 2020
    not here
    If you want to do Chet Atkins, then you should start with looking at his gear.
    https://equipboard.com/pros/chet-atkins

I personally think you're going to be happiest with a tube amp that has a great speaker. Sound is no place to be cheap. The better your sound is, even in your bedroom, the more you will enjoy playing. Which in turn, means you'll play more, get better, and believe it or not, a great tone actually makes you play better. Trust me. You got a nice guitar, plan on spending for a nice amp. You'll thank me. ;)

Sorry. I don't know why this got posted twice. (website to internet connection)

11. Steveee

Steveee Electromatic

Feb 5, 2021
    Melbourne, Victoria
    The Tonemaster Twins are great- Fender nailed it.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  12. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Oh yeah!!!! Forgot to mention the Mystery Brain!
    It’s my “always on” pedal.. It works great with the Tone Master... The pre amp side drives & shapes the amp tones in the same way it does with the tube version...

13. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    I saw that website. "Sound is no place to be cheap". Yeah I'm not being cheap but I'm also a student and not paying £3k+ for an amp or getting one that will be so loud I will get kicked out of the accommodation, they have a policy on audio equipment. I read that Chet used to also play on a DR, which is what I got. The tube part wouldn't make sense cause Chet never drove his amp anyway, he always played crystal clean and the tone master is arguably even better at the "vintage" clean tones than the reissue so I'm happy with what I got.

14. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Cool did you order it from the US? Can I also ask how did you record using the DI? Did you get a XLR to USB? I don't really wanna spend more on a UI or a soundcard haha.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  15. crossthestyx

Oct 20, 2020
    not here
    You do understand that companies like fender make small tube amps that can give you that clean plinky sound And give you warmer tones as well without being a 100 watt head on top of 2 4x12's "for 3k"?
    Though you may have to pay 1k. But then there's always that old Gorilla amp on craigslist. lol..
    Good Luck.

Rmccamey likes this.
  16. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Yes but then I'm not buying the exact thing that Chet played so it kind of defeats the original idea you came up with. I saw the small fenders and they cost around the same as the tone master. I decided that the tone master clean sounded better to me and it has an attenuator so I can play it like a regular tube amp or barely a whisper. If you disagree that's fine :) Standel amps on reverb that I found are heads or too big and loud. Plus the reason why the closed was their QC was all over the place so I would be risking wasting money. Again, the other amp that Chet played was the DR and I decided that the tonemaster will be the best option. If you're a tube purist that's fine, but they're not for everybody and would make 0 sense in my situation as I would have to keep the volume at about 1.

new6659 and MotorCentaur like this.
  17. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Yes ordered the Mystery Brain direct from Tavo in USA cost a small fortune to get it here in the UK but worth every penny!
    Recording wise with the Tone Master... XLR out the DI into an interface going into MacBook..

jakjar123 likes this.
  18. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    Great, thanks for all the advice :) I will save up for it then!

Trash Kidd likes this.
  19. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    I still want someone to review a Bassbreaker 15. I like what I read about them but would like to get some feedback from an actual user.

20. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Check out a Silverface Fender Pro Reverb. It's a killer sounding amp. It's called a "Baby Twin" It has 40 watts and sounds glorious. Lots of headroom and it responds really well and quickly to your picking hand.
    A good one in decent shape is around 7 to 800 bucks here on Long Island.

Stay well.

jakjar123 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.