Where's your volume at ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Raspy, Feb 12, 2010.

1. MGllm

MGllm Synchromatic

According to my lovely wife, its ALWAYS too loud.

2. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    I used to be wide open all the time until I worked with Norman Nardini for a few years. He showed me how dynamic a guitar can be by using the volume on the guitar and touch.

3. dimszappas

dimszappas Gretschie

Feb 23, 2009
    Karditsa Greece

4. roadminge

roadminge Electromatic

Nov 27, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I turn mine up to 11, when the wife is out :)

5. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    Depends on the room, half way up in the basement, but all the way up if I can, the Playboy sounds freakin awesome turned up!

6. funnyorangeguitar

funnyorangeguitar Synchromatic

Jan 6, 2010
    Australia
    I just had top go and get a cloth to clean the coffee splutter that now covers my monitor.

Settings. It reminded me to go record the settings from my amp from todays activity.

Guitar master volume is anywhere to about 80%. Otherwise the kids yell at me to turn it down "you and your crazy rock and roll"

Attached Files:

7. KimK

KimK Gretschie

Jul 15, 2009
    oklahoma city
    Please tell us more about Norman Nardine and what you learned from him. What did he do with the volume that added so much dynamic?
    I am playing around with this right now and am very interested in the different tones I can get with volume control both on the Vox amp and the guitar.

Lead us on o' GreatGretsch!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    is that a Deluxe?

Where are you playing that thing @ those volumes?

9. funnyorangeguitar

Jan 6, 2010
    Australia
    Yep HRD w/ Jensen . That is a practice setting for a small sized room 10m x 4m. If I need more there plently left in the amp. Also micing up is always an option.

10. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    Vintage Fenders have a sweet spot, depending on the amp, somewhere between 3.5 and 5.

11. jostan

jostan Gretschie

Jan 5, 2009
    ohio
    My HRD is too loud above 2 on the volume. I only use the clean channel, so master does not really affect the sound unless i were to use a dirty channel. I your guitar volume turned down to allow the volume on the amp to be high?

12. Jeff O

Jeff O Country Gent

Sep 25, 2008
    The Motor City
    That's because it has a linear pot for the volume.

13. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Basicly a Strat with low output Danelectro pickups into a Peavey Classic is what Norman uses most of the time. You have to have an amp that is dynamic enough to to clean up when you back the volume or your attack. High output pickups are usually not as responsive. I think that is why you see most experience players using lower output pickups.

If you have ever seen Norman; He can go from as searing over-driven sound to clean and uses no pedals....EVER. He thinks they are the devil.

14. Bear

Bear Country Gent

It really varies for me on what tune I'm playing on which guitar. I have no set parameters.

15. gretschiam

gretschiam Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    Chicago
    For the last 10 years I've usually left my volume and tones at 10 on all my guitars. I certainly agree with the reference from Norman Nardini and used to practice that myself, but I've just fallen in love with the sound of different pickups. Generally, I think pickups have their true sound only when they're on full. I often use a volume pedal to adjust, and I use effects to modify them, but there's nothing like a Filtertron, Supertron, Humbucker, Lace Sensor, etc. I love those true, clean sounds.

16. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Oh...I agree that a great sounding pickup sounds great full volume, but like a woman with a real sexy voice; I like to hear her whisper and make a few more quiet sounds before she starts to scream....If you know what I mean;). It's the whole "musical experience" you can squeeze out of a good sounding pickup that turns me on.

17. GreatGretsch

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Wow after saying that...Pedals really must be like "toys", there is nothing like just plugging in:D....Just kidding.

18. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    I've stripped by Gretschiphone (ES-295 w/Filters) down to a single master volume. I move that knob all over the place :D

19. anothersixstringer

anothersixstringer Electromatic

Sep 12, 2009
    Brampton, ON
    Good to know I'm not the only one being yelled at by the kids...!

When I was a teenager my mom used to yell at me to lower the volume of the guitar and/or stereo, when I got married that role was overtaken by my wife, and now my children are the ones that are in charge of sending me that message...!

20. funnyorangeguitar

Jan 6, 2010
    Australia
    I grew up in a totalitarian tate ruled by adults and now I live in a totalitarian state ruled by children.. (not my quote). Keeps you young though :p Make me proud when I here my kids singing '50s songs when they're doing home work. The power of the subliminal..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.