Where to buy Gold HS Filter'Trons?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Bamblebee, Jul 17, 2021.

TV Jones or HS Filter'Trons (and $100 in my pocket)?

1. TV Jones

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. HS Filter'Trons (NOT factoring the price difference)

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. HS Filter'Trons (factoring the price difference)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    Seems as if there are precisely zero online retailers that have Gold HS Filter'Trons available. I'm looking to upgrade the Blacktops in my G5422TG, but I don't really wanna spend $140+ per pickup for TV Joneses, even though I'm likely going to buy one of their wiring harnesses. Are the TV Jones offerings really $100ish better for a set? I know that's a loaded question lol. TIA!

2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    If it was me and I'm on a budget id go the HS FT, i have both and love both equally, there is a difference but not really that noticeable unless you are really picky about tone.

3. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    After posting this, I found a set of gold TV Jones Classics that were never installed on Reverb for much less than what I'd have had to spend for a "new" set. Included a set of gold EM2 pickup rings to boot! Should the EM2 rings work to replace the stock rings on my G5422TG? Still plan on getting the wiring harness from TV Jones at some point.

dlew919, Merc, Stefan87 and 1 other person like this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Congrats! The EM2 rings should be a perfect fit.

FWIW, I have a Jet with a TV Classic at the neck and an HS Filtertron at the bridge, and I think they're both great pickups. You can't go wrong with either one.

5. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    Thanks! Great to hear! If I could have found a set of HS Filter'Trons, I would have likely gone that route to save some cash, but for $220 including shipping and tax WITH rings, the TV Jones Classics were too good to pass up. Might go ahead and order the TV Jones wiring harness, seeing as how I'll have to solder and mount the new pickups anyways. Might has well just solder once, right?

capnhiho and section2 like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's what I would do.

TV does a beautiful job on any configuration harness. I just received his Hot Rod harness for my next project.

I have them add the master volume treble bleed too. I highly recommend it.

Just easier to upgrade once, then just play and enjoy it.

Best of luck.

capnhiho and Merc like this.
  7. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    I appreciate the insight.

The TV Jones wiring harness looks so nice and tidy, and I'm sure the components would be a pretty decent step up from the stock pots and switch.

G5422T likes this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    You bet. Components are higher quality, longer time to a failure or glitch.

Once and done.

FWIW, my project will be my 5422TG also. I like how it plays and feels. It's an early '12, so it has the larger metal pup surrounds.

Longer term project, but I'm using the Hot Rod harness that I just received.

Going to go with TV HiLos and the HR setup.

Time and money. :)

ZackyDog likes this.
  9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    You can often find Gold HS FilterTrons on eBay.

Right my honest opinion is that HS FilterTrons actually sound better than TV Jones..
    TV Jones pick ups are awesome, don’t get me wrong but I believe people buy into the hype!
    My Falcon has HS FilterTrons & my 5420 TV Jones Classics..
    The 5420 sounds fantastic but the Falcon with HS FilterTrons really does noticeably sound 100 times better…

Robbie, new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I will second this to a degree and say that i wouldn't swap out HS Filters for tv jones classics.
    I wouldn't say one or the other was better just different and depends on what the person likes, i don't see HS FTs as being sub par though and indo think sometimes people could be a bit hastly in doing the pick up swap when they don't really give the HS FT a good go, my opinion any way.

new6659 and Trash Kidd like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I never went to TVJ Classic FilterTron pickups, deterred by a cost circa 2x higher, prefering Genuine Gretsch HS FT - brand new (79E each) or used (quite scarce here in France).

My daughter owns a Gretsch G5125 Corvette "GLove" factory fitted with one TVJ Classic Plus at the Bridge and one TVJ Classic at the neck :

[​IMG]

We compared side to side with some of my Gretsch HS FT-fitted solid and hollowbody guitars. The TVJ Classic Plus sounded similarly to a regular "à la Gibson or the like" Humbucker pickup, while the TVJ Classic made no obvious difference with the Gretsch HS FT.

That's the other reason why I stayed whith Gretsch genuine HS FT... But one day, I"ll make the jump on one of my guitar projects to come, moreover if I find a good deal ! ;)

A+!

new6659 and Trash Kidd like this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    To me the high end is a bit smoother on the TV Jones Classics. What does that mean exactly? It's hard to quantify. To me the TV Jones just sounded slightly more refined. But they're very similar.

hcsterg, Stefan87 and G5422T like this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I often read this, yes... o_O

A+!

14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I had the HS Filters in my -58RI for years.

They sounded very good, but just overall "darker" sounding than Classics.

Depending on the amp played through and type of music played, I'm sure numerous folks are happy, with no thoughts of changing.

I finally had to "fold" when the Ray Butts version came out. Why?

This will be the closest that I'll ever get to an original '58 Gent, so I installed the RB's.

Worth it? To me, oh yes indeed. Pleased in every single way.

20201208_153952.jpg 20200625_170113.jpg 20200107_170427.jpg

The only thing needed now is regular play time, and it gets that.

new6659, Stefan87 and Trash Kidd like this.
  15. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I replaced a HS with the TVJ once. I heard ZERO difference. Removed and sold the TVJ.
    Now if you want other models/options the TVJ are probably worth it, but for a standard Tron, just keep the HS

Outlaw, Robbie, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Agreed….

17. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    The only reason I could pick up a difference was I recorded clips with both in the same guitar. I A/B'd them one day in the car. More high end in the TV Jones, but somehow smoother and somehow less "rustic" sounding? Really hard to describe it. Probably not a difference worth worrying about.

Stefan87 likes this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I do agree with you in saying the tvj options highend is smoother, and like @G5422T said the HS FT do have a warmer feel too them, well that's what i hear anyway but that may come down to guitar construction too.

19. Bamblebee

Bamblebee Electromatic

Dec 31, 2020
    USA
    Wow, appreciate all of the replies and opinions! Sounds like either would be winners... Just depends on what flavor and somewhat on how much one wants to spend. I would have most likely gone with HS Filter'Trons if I could have found a new or even slightly used set, but I am equally pleased with the deal I found on the TV Jones set.

20. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    AES has Gretsch HS Trons in Nickel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.