Where can I buy a clear pickguard?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pete12string, Aug 25, 2021.

1. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    I have a G6120 with TV Jones T-Armond pickups and it has the gold “Chet Atkins” signature pickguard. I was thinking of changing it to one of those clear pickguards. Will the clear pickguard from a G6120 Eddie Cochran or RHH fit? And where can I get one?

Thanks!

Mojoman likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Check out Quick Guards.
    Not the cheapest, but not too expensive either considering he makes quality stuff.
    He can make whatever you want, any size you want.
    https://quickguards.com/

pete12string and section2 like this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Pickguardian makes good stuff.

pete12string likes this.
  4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I second the Quick Guards recommendation. Greasy Groove is a less-expensive option, but I think their pickguards don't have the Gretsch logo on them.

I'm not sure whether the Eddie Cochran or the RHH pickguards would fit, given that they have different pickups.

pete12string likes this.
  5. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
  6. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Just ordered one from Quick Guards. The other places didn't seen to make them in the correct thickness... Not cheap, but I didn't want to skimp on such an expensive guitar!

MrWookiee, section2 and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Mr. Quick does fantastic work.
    I used his services to spruce up my 6120-60 into a Poison Ivy tribute model based on her 1958.
    He made me a pickguard with her signature (in place of Chet’s), plain pickup rings, and my truss rod cover.
    Because my 6120-60 is a 1995, NONE of these things were standard sizes. He made them all custom, and they all fit perfectly.
    45A18511-BEDF-4128-9F5F-F2B545326C1D.jpeg C447EC20-917F-46BD-9CE5-6F38580A0EEC.jpeg D4C53517-EA92-43D5-8EBE-06C9FC02ABDA.jpeg

Waxhead, Trash Kidd, wildeman and 4 others like this.
  8. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    6467E0E0-7A33-412B-BEB5-584E695D0097.jpeg Pick guard…. I don’t use no stinking pick guard!!
    The Clear ones are the Coolest!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    pete12string likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I had one around here but I can't seem to find it.

pete12string likes this.
  10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
  11. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Did you have to wait 2 months? That’s the current wait time posted on his site now. I’ll be looking at middle to end of October. But the quality looks like it’s worth the wait.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I did wait about 2 months.
    However, once the package arrived and I installed everything, I was overjoyed and forgot all about the time I waited.
    Sometimes the best things take time.

pete12string likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Eddy stripped the paint off his, you could do the same. I used brake cleaner and a rag on my 5120 guard, worked great.

pete12string likes this.
  14. Desirsar

Desirsar Electromatic

Jun 9, 2021
    Lincoln, NE
    Don't give me terrible ideas. To that thought, anyone know which part number is correct for a new 5655T? No way I'm doing it to the original pickguard, but I'd totally order a replacement to attack in the garage with a gas mask and brake cleaner...

pete12string and wildeman like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, i dunno if I'd do it to a real 6120 guard but I've no trouble violating a 5120:cool:

16. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    The original pickguard still has the plastic on it. Going to save that one!

17. pete12string

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    My new pickguard from Mr. Quick! Looks PERFECT! But now I need some help. I took off the original pickguard and a couple of pieces dropped off without me knowing where they go...

Where do the little black felt pieces go? I think they came from where the pickguard attaches to the bracket with the small bolt and screw.
    Where does the white plastic washer go?

Just want to put it back together the way it is supposed to be.

Thanks for your help.

18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I would put 1 black felt piece on the screw touching the guitar body - they will protect the finish.

The white washer probably goes between the nut and the pickguard underneath.

So little screw goes through the pickguard (wide end), then (maybe black felt then) white washer then nut.

Long screw goes through pickguard (narrow end near neck) through black felt (or 2) then into body.

Not sure why you have 2 black felt pieces. You may need both of them on the long screw so that the height of the oickguard is correct. Alternatively, I like to have something soft under the pickguard between the pickguard and white washer so that you can install it but it has some cushion to slide the attached pickguard up and down the slot to get the right fit.

If you look at a new gretsch pickguard assembly, there is usually one black felt (used between nut or washer and pickguard) and a black plastic tube over the long screw to space the narrow end off

[​IMG]

Best of luck!

pete12string likes this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Many Gibsons end up with the pickguard bracket screw marking the finish underneath, I would glue the felt washer on the bottom of the nut (or something) to keep it from touching.
    You can get extra felt washers (made for strap buttons) from Fender, about $6 for 12.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Henry and pete12string like this.
  20. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Remove the pick guard but leave the hardware. Then it looks like you have the clearest pick guard ever! :)

Henry, pete12string and capnhiho like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.