When was your first time?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Did you ever master that F-chord?

2. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    Started on trumpet when I was about 8 yrs old and my grand mother, seeing that I was interested in music, gave me a guitar,but it wasn't loud enough (never heard of Leo Fender yet) so within a week I traded it for a fishing rod. When I was 15 along came electric guitars, rock and roll. My next door neighbor was joking and ask if I had anything to hock and I told him I had a trumpet and he told me he could play a guitar so we took my $100+ trumpet to a pawn shop and traded it for a $10 guitar. I found out he only knew how to play a D chord ... With the help of a few previous years of music lessons on the trumpet and a guitar chord book, I got started playing. I soon met a guy who played guitar and sang. He had just finished serving in the Marine Corp and had recently seen Hank Snow along with a guy called the Hill Billy Cat (Elvis, Scotty & Bill, from Sun Records). and he knew how to play their songs. By the time I was 17 I was playing in clubs on Baltimore Street.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Ricochet likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, SAguitar !
    welcome mat 125.jpg

SAguitar likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I spent ages 4-13 forced to take piano, trumpet, violin and baritone horn.

Age 16, I decided I wanted to play guitar. I saved, stole rolls of laundry quarters from my mom and went to an annual sale event at Gelb Music (these events are amazing - by invitation only, all their suppliers send reps, and they discount everything). I had an Ibanez luthier spend an hour trying acoustics with me until we found the best one for my budget, about $115 in 1992 - he actually knew the owner and got him to lower the already discounted price to match the exact amount of money in my pocket. Still have that guitar.

One of the best shopping experiences I've ever had.

6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Christmas Day, 1966, age 12 but I had been wanting one for about two years. It was an electric guitar and amp form either the Eatons or Sears catalog. I've been at it ever since. Not long after that my future brother-in-law gave me a Harmony Stella which I played and played until I got a Framus and then a Gibson (J45).

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My dad have me his Sears Silvertone with lipsticks and signed me up for lessons when I was 8 years old. I absolutely hated it.
    Took up drums instead.

Then when I was 14 my brother taught me how to a play power chords, and I’d play along to the Ramones’ first 3 records. That made a lot more sense to me. Then I learned cowboy chords.

The end.

8. Kitvin713

Kitvin713 Gretschie

Jan 10, 2017
    Fresno, CA, U.S.A.
    My dad got some sort of online deal for a parlor guitar and a full size dread. We were supposed to learn together. I picked it up, he didn’t. I was 9ish. As I’m typing this I do remember plucking some strings at someone’s house when I was much younger than that. They were impressed. I kept at it.

9. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    In grade school I played trumpet & sax. I got a Yamaha DX-100 in Jr. high that wound up primarily being used for pads & bad improv scores to horrible VHS movies my friends & I would make. I spent a fair bit of time messing around w/ Cakewalk in the Mac lab at high school too, doing theory ignorant 8 bit orchestral compositions & arrangements that I'm sure had to be pretty bad as well. Played drums in high school, my college bit, & for a while beyond as well, but never really had a kit of my own outside of a year or so.

I got my first guitar at 16 in 1990. Bought it from a classmate to help fund his first Les Paul. I think it probably first clicked for me as something I really loved doing 1.5 years or so later when I first played w/ some friends. Group dynamics & improvisation have been & continue to be the ultimate hooks for me, but I've certainly developed a genuine enjoyment out of developing my skills or just playing for fun by myself over the years too.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Started at 5 thanks to an Elvis record. That would have been 1983. Been obsessed ever since.

11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    My older sister and dad both played. I grew up listening to them, while playing air guitar on a plastic Nerf bat inserted into a portable seat cushion. Think that was when I realized I had a love for baseball bat necks. Think my first(non-Nerf bat) guitar(electric) was at age 9 or 10

Jeff67 likes this.
  12. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Gretschie

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    I was a kid. And had toy ones in the house and a few real acoustics 1980. And played without a amp a old offset off brand left at the church. Then one day that was a great day the preacher told granddad it was mine. We took it home. 1983. Then dad got me a old acoustic. But I never had a amplifier back then. :(

Latter on I got a Casio synthesizer. 1985. I never knew it was a synthesizer until I looked it looked it up a while back. It is long gone. My cousin had some real drums. In his grandmother basement. He is not a musician player. I played them and a small electronic set I had at home. 1987 or later?;)

Then one day years later I got the very first First Act guitar the company ever created to my knowledge? A LP copy at a store gold plated and quality to boot. Ugly headstock and horn. A nice min amp. And a computer program at a store to teach you to play. 2001. We all could learn more no matter how long we had a few guitars in our life.o_O

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    7 years old and i remember my first tune sounded a lot like nothing else matters by metallica.

JeffreyLeePierre and Stefan87 like this.
  14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum friend

SAguitar likes this.
  16. PJHoppy

PJHoppy Electromatic

Feb 9, 2014
    London
    I first played with (rather than played) a classical guitar that belonged to my brother in law when I was about 15 years old in 1982. I didn’t get my own guitar, an Eko Ranger 6 acoustic, until I was 17. I was obsessed with guitars and used to dream about them but we had no money. Both my parents had been severely injured in a car crash in 1973 and dad’s business collapsed, we lost the house etc. As a result I learned how to make the most from the least and amazingly I managed to buy two electrics, two amplifiers and a few pedals out of my student grant. I’d never had so much money before! I’ve made up for my early deprivation now though...

17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I remember my uncle having an old acoustic when I was 10 or 11 but never played it the first time I saw it, I wasn’t even interested as I was deep into sports.
    Lately, when I was 17 and everything started with punk rock and I was deep into it, it seemed natural to me to start playing guitar (me and my long time best friends decided on a sketch, like “you! play bass! You! Play drums! And I’ll play the guitar! Let’s start with “Brand new Cadillac!:)) so I asked my uncle his old acoustic, and started with it. The most terrible piece of wood I ever played. It was a classic guitar where he installed bronze strings instead of nylon, but the higher tension just detached the bridge from the body rising the action to unplayable levels.
    I bought my first electric after 2 months. ;)

18. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I started playing flute when I was 10, taught myself piano shortly after that. Decided I wanted to learn guitar, so my parents bought me one, I was about 12 at that point. I messed around with it, but that was long before the days of YouTube and all, and no money or a way to get back and forth to lessons, so I quit. Fast forward to a little over two years ago, I decided I really did want to learn. Bought a new guitar, signed up for lessons, and even though my first teacher was lousy and a jerk, I eventually ended up with someone who knew what they were doing and how to teach someone with the amount of music experience I had.

JeffreyLeePierre and dak55 like this.
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    About 13 or 14 when I first heard the Ventures. After I heard James Brown and his Band I was hooked.

new6659 and SAguitar like this.
  20. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    13. I'd moved to a new town, didn't have any friends yet. Sat in my bedroom with a Mel Bay beginners book and a book of classical guitar pieces. After a few months, I could read music. Now, 50 years later, I've sold all my electric guitars, and though I don't regret selling those particular guitars, I find myself jonesing for a nice hollow/semi-hollow all-around guitar. Which is why I'm here, I guess. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice