What's your ideal song time length?

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
According to Billy Joel’s Entertainer, 3:05.

Remember when a DJ could play an entire album side on the radio? Like Telegraph Road by Dire Straits.

Alice’s Restaurant kind of became a Thanksgiving tradition since it kind of gave the DJ a long enough break to eat a dinner while working on the holiday.

Shock

Synchromatic
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota

Remember when a DJ could play an entire album side on the radio? Like Telegraph Road by Dire Straits.

Alice’s Restaurant kind of became a Thanksgiving tradition since it kind of gave the DJ a long enough break to eat a dinner while working on the holiday.
The Golden Age of FM.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
I've been to many Grateful Dead shows. Half hour jams are common.
I’m very much a Grateful Dead fan. Just not that Grateful Dead. I caught a couple of concerts, including the very last one in Chicago before Jerry’s death. I was highly absorbed and still couldn’t handle the jams. They had a monstrous catalog of beautifully crafted 3-4 minute masterpieces. The appeal of Jerry’s endless noodling and Mickey Hart’s percussion interludes was entirely lost on me. And I also really appreciate Jerry’s playing. I get it for a band that doesn’t have much else, but they wasted a lot of time in their shows that, at least for my tastes, could have been stuffed to the gills with one gem after another.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I’m very much a Grateful Dead fan. Just not that Grateful Dead. I caught a couple of concerts, including the very last one in Chicago before Jerry’s death. I was highly absorbed and still couldn’t handle the jams. They had a monstrous catalog of beautifully crafted 3-4 minute masterpieces. The appeal of Jerry’s endless noodling and Mickey Hart’s percussion interludes was entirely lost on me. And I also really appreciate Jerry’s playing. I get it for a band that doesn’t have much else, but they wasted a lot of time in their shows that, at least for my tastes, could have been stuffed to the gills with one gem after another.
You were at Soldier Field?!?!? I didn't see you.
I was the one in the tie dyed Grateful Dead T-shirt.

I was lucky enough to see The Dead quite a few times. Got to share a smile with Jerry once in Indy when they were still using the Wall of Sound. Mickey's drum group played one of our theaters and was a joy to work with. I got my Mickey Hart drum books autographed. The Dead was all about the jam. Their repertoire' was pretty much set on their tours. They'd play pretty much the same show with a few variations. Even tho they had a huge catalog, not all of the songs were recently rehearsed. They liked to play at Deer Creek Music Center in Indy as it was one of the smallest venues they worked---only 20K. Saw them at Indy's Clay Court tennis courts---an intimate crowd of only 8,000. They even played at Purdue in '69. Missed that one as I was overseas in a jungle at the time.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

3-30 minutes. basically, any cure song length.
Most AM radio songs were in the 3:00 to 3:30 length range. 3 minutes of music, 2 minutes of jabber and ads.
Hell yes I was at Soldier Field. I was the 19 year old that looked like he spent all his money on little squares of loose leaf paper and canned mushrooms. It was the day I learned that we’re not all in this together.
At least the Chicago cops were mellow. It was a lot easier for them than a losing Bears game.

Last edited: