What's your favorite Dyna-equipped Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by MarkH, Mar 5, 2021.

1. MarkH

MarkH Electromatic

Apr 6, 2020
    Marietta, Ohio
    In the past I had a couple of DSW's and a 2005 6121 Roundup, all with regular factory Gretsch Dynasonics. I always liked the sound of them, but ended up gravitating more toward filtertron-equipped guitars, over the years.

Anyway, I'm thinking my next Gretsch might be one with Dynas, specifically, T-Armonds, because I do miss having that sound in my arsenal. So, I was curious as to what your favorite Dyna-equipped Gretsches might be?

Those of you with T-Armonds, do you like them better than the regular factory Gretsch Dynas?

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I haven't played any modern Dyna equipped Gretsches but I think I prefer the one in my '56 Streamliner to the T-Armonds I put in my '01 Silver Jet on a whole.

Outside of mid heavy, hard rocking sounds I think I like the DeArmond 2000s in my red Special Jet more than the Silver Jet too to be honest, but it may just be that Silver Jet doesn't like the T-Armonds (or I haven't achieved optimal height adjustment of them). Some day I need to try them in another Gretsch.

3. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

If I were going to buy a dyna equipped Gretsch hollowbody, I’d probably look at the Duane Eddy 6120

AllenK likes this.
  4. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Big Dyna fan. Love the standard Gretsch dynas in my 6120. That would be my recommendation. But youve had a DSW already. Ive had seymour Duncan dynas in my penguin and in my 6130 roundup. I have to say well worth the extra $$$. More like the snarl of a ‘58 Roundup that i had the chance to play a couple of years back.

5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I just recently replaced the factory Dynas with T-Armonds on my '99 6129T-57. The Dynas seemed smoother and cleaner throughout the entire volume range, the T-Armonds have more bite when the volume's all the way up. That's not a bad thing at all, in fact, considering what I play, it might be a good thing.

I'm still getting used to them, but so far I like what I hear.

My 6120's got Filertrons, but yeah, I'd love to have a big ol' hollow body with the T-Armonds. Seems like a pretty good excuse to get another Gretsch.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    Yep! My 55vs 6120 has t-armonds and in my opinion they are better than dynas in every way. I have a falcon that had dearmonds and there just wasn’t a comparison to the TAs.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've tried to love Dynas. Had a Duo Jet and a 6120. Even put in vintage Dynas in the Jet.

They both sounded great, when someone else was playing them, but I just couldn't get that sound that I was after with my hands.

Just a Filtertron guy (as I run, duck, and hide!) Lol

new6659 and audept like this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I only have a bridge T-Armond in my 6110JR2, never played an actual dynastic. Neck is a T-90. Both are filter mounts. 20200607_122310.jpg

drmilktruck and Chmason85 like this.
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    <-----Not really Dynasonics but my favorite. G5129 with DeArmond 2000s. Fit well within my budget and I wouldn't sound any better playing a G6xxx.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Tony65x55 and drmilktruck like this.
  10. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I love Dynas in a Duo Jet, less in a hollow body..

s360guitarist likes this.
  11. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MH,

George Harrisons, 57 Duo Jet.

Best,

BIB.

IMG_0231.JPG

drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  12. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Never had a true Dyna equipped Gretsch, but I have a 5420T with T-armonds.
    Pretty sweet tones.
    Sounds like sharp maple syrup.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Have a coupla Duane Eddy 6120s, two 6120DSVs and a DSW. Also have a 6136TLDS White Falcon and a Country Club, plus a few Jers. All with stock Dynas.

Thought about sticking TVs in the DSVs(my stage guitars), but...why? I can't criticize what is in the guitars currently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I do have a coupla 5420s and a 6136DL that have humbuckers, but I'm a Dynasonic player. They fit like a hand in a glove to me.

The short answer to your question...from me...is a 6120 with Dynas.

14. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    My favorite Dyna equipped guitar
    IMG_0649 (1).jpg

Scott, drmilktruck and new6659 like this.
  15. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Through the 1970s I played a ‘57 Duo Jet with original DeArmonds, Melita bridge etc. A very nice guitar but I actually prefer the ‘53 VS Duo Jet that I bought last year. The T-Armonds just bring a little extra richness to that classic sound.

16. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    My only Gretsch with Dynasonic's, tv jonesT-armonds. I love there sound.
    Jim.jpeg

Scott, JC higgy, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  17. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I have 4 Dyna equipped Gretsches, my fav is the 6120.But that could be because the 6120 is my fav Gretsch...Who knows.

Scott likes this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    My penguins has dynas and i love the sound they put out, so that would be my choice.

19. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Much as I like my Dyna Falcon, my Roundup sounds killer with any kind of music I play on it. I've had a couple of Duane Eddys, one pre-FMIC, one FMIC-era, they were great, but had to part with them. Had a couple of Dyna Clubs, a sunburst which I didn't bond with, and a blonde which I wish I still had. 2 or 3 caddy green dyna jets, all pretty nice, too. Had a bamboo/copper Club, almost forgot about that one, it was nice, too. Oh yeah, had a different Dyna Falcon and a different Roundup but foolishly let them go because it didn't occur to me that I could just change that stupid Melitta/Stinkrosonic bridge. Won't be making that mistake again.

Duo Slinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.