What's your dedicated slide guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Waxhead, May 15, 2020.

1. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Over the years, I use this Astro for slide more than any other.

p90astro.jpg p90astro2.jpg p90astro3.jpg

2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Waxhead likes this.
  4. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I have an Agile two pick up LP-Jr-esque that is a hot damn guitar to begin with and gets me in to Duane Allman territory in hurry.

5. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I use a Lap Steel too (oh, well... Time to time ! :rolleyes:)

It's a Fender FS-52 bought for 100 Euros plus case and slides, that I Lefty-Ized and tuned CEGACE (C6th) :

[​IMG]

I should learn to play it more seriously... :oops:

A+!

Tele295 and Waxhead like this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    thanks for sharing your sliders guys :)

I've been looking at cheaper SG copies like Harley Bentons but have run into a few problems.
    The Harley Benton DC Custom Cherry - this one
    https://harleybenton.com/product/dc-custom-cherry/

looks pretty good for about A$300 but I can't find one anywhere to test out and can't even find one for sale in Aust.

And these Harley Bentons have a few spec features that don't suit me either (like narrow 42cm nut widths). Same for lot's of the other cheap copies. Can't find one here to test out anyway and I'm not paying for sight unseen or played.

"Artist" guitars are an aussie company who also make cheap copies but I can't find them anywhere to test one out either. And not travelling to a capital city to do it.

So I'll probably go for an Epi SG copy and pay a few $100 more.
    The Epi specs are good for me and I can at least test out and fully inspect them in stores here :D

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  8. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Well, if we’re including steels, then I don’t have one dedicated slide guitar. I perform most often with my Luna Weissenborn copy (taropatch 6 tuning). I’ve been rediscovering my Rickenbacher Model 59 for C6. The Fender Champ is in B11 tuning, and the Stringmaster D8 has C6 and C#m7 (Santo Farina’s Sleep Walk tuning).

I use a lot of slide in my island band :)

Here’s the Rickenbacher. People tell me it’s from 1939. You can see the PRS One next to it. B5A9B20C-D1B2-4536-B2A0-EB10B56A6E42.jpeg

9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Dig the big ol' Ric horseshoe pickup! NICE!

Waxhead and Tele295 like this.
  10. goostah

goostah Electromatic

Jun 25, 2017
    HK
    I don't have one but I want one. This would be it for me:

[​IMG]

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    On lapsteels the one I've been wanting for 5 yrs is one of these Cole Clark models

http://coleclarkguitars.com/products/lap-steels/lapsteels/

I'd prefer the "lapdog" model myself with 1 humbucker :D
    But they cost A$1300 :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Electromatic Blue

Electromatic Blue Electromatic

Sep 24, 2018
    The south end of Hell
    SHOW OFF!! I Love that hat! God bless you for wearing THAT HAT!! It's one of my favourites. And you can't wrong with one of the cheap Kay guitars from back in the day. Even Eddie Van Halen had one when he was younger. It's too bad that they no longer make the Kelvinator style guitars - those made great slide guitars too!

tartanphantom likes this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    If you pull the pickup on that Ric it will be stuffed with newspaper from when it was made. I used to have one just like it, my first steel. Also a big fan of those Manaloff Bakelite bars.

Tele295 likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    20190604_141738.jpg Lapdog

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

We looked at the newspapers when we opened it up to clean the pots some years ago. Carefully put them back....

new6659 likes this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok so this is my new slide geetar but I can see a Cole Clark Lapdog in my future too :)

[​IMG]

wildeman likes this.
  18. lectric

lectric Electromatic

Apr 7, 2020
    Belgium
    I saw the thread and thought to immediately refer to Harley Benton, but wanted to read everything first. Anyway, Harley Benton is the house brand of Thomann in Germany, and only for sale at Thomann. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Harley Bentons. I've decided for myself on my first electric guitar but i'll have to wait for a few more weeks to order it because it's not available at the moment. Anyway, here you go: https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_dc_custom_cherry.htm. You can always contact them. If you don't like the guitar, if I'm not mistaken there's a 30 days money back guarantee.

19. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

82A29071-8BFC-4766-8033-AFDA30B255A3.jpeg

tartanphantom likes this.
  20. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Actually, I got the idea for the deerstalker from Don Craine of The Downliners Sect.
    I don't wear it all the time, but every now and then I'll break it out for a gig. ;)

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice