What's the most satisfying sound?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Apart from bean farts, cause those are hard to beat?
I’m halfway up a mountain. If I take a particular road for about 1 hour the signal of my mobile phone goes dead. I find myself in a tropical rainforest. The silence is deafening. Only punctuated by the sound of flying bugs, crickets, frogs and such.
The highlight happens if it starts to rain. Hearing a monsoon rain hitting large leaf foliage is a cochlear tintillating experience. I feel like I should have brought a pretty girlfriend, have a lie down under a make shift bamboo shelter whilst applying copious amounts of Diethyl-m-toluamide to our naked bodies. Or maybe not.

Rain, that’s the word I was looking for.

Floo

Country Gent
Dec 16, 2012
Elmshorn, Germany
Although I enjoy rain (but it should be a warm summer rain), waves on a beach and my wife laughing - the most satisfying sound was the loud plopping sound when I opnened my new homebrew. My third brew, and it worked out fine. Very satisfying.

SLICKFASTER

Country Gent
Dec 29, 2009
USA
The swoosh of a completely flushed toilet. The sound of my car starting on the first crank. The call of the local red tail hawks. The crashing of the ocean when the wind is blowing hard enough to carry the sound to my home..👍👍👍

Last edited:

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Ugh, there are so many it is impossible to name only one.

A forest at night.
Rain.
A turbulent river or ocean waves.
The howl or cry of any of a million different animals.
The cylinder of a revolver being closed or a shotgun being pumped.
The sound of a flat-plane crank engine.
The sound of any warbird, but particularly a P-51 Mustang.

I could go on forever, but as you might have noticed I like the sounds of nature and those of mankind's most impressive machinery.

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
The hollow echoing-reverb sensory overload of getting barreled (tubed) by an ocean wave. The most addicting thing I’ve ever experienced. 🤯

Attachments

• C2531A8E-97EB-464A-B4B1-20081A51A16F.jpeg
    C2531A8E-97EB-464A-B4B1-20081A51A16F.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 4

Ando

Synchromatic
Aug 7, 2013
Seoul
A kitty cat exhaling a loud series of purrs.

Having morning song birds be the ones to wake you up while out camping in the mountains.

The quiet "fweeeeeoop" the ketchup pump at the burger place makes.

Learning to enjoy the song diversity of a male northern mockingbird's 100+ tunes on a warm summer night.

A full five seconds of carbonated soda bubbles settling down in a glass over ice, telling you that you can sip now.

David Schelzel digging into the HiLotrons of his old G6118 thru a modulated reverb pedal into big Fender amp.

Alright, "the most joy" is a huge overstatement, but they are nonetheless rather satisfying to hear.

stevo

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
I like a gentle creek or even a nice waterfall from the right distance.

But I have to say, nothing soothes me like a couple mile long express train going by. The sound of the horn alerts me that one of my favorite sounds is coming - the sound of hundreds of cars rolling by with a bit of rhythmic clacking. My Grandmother's house was 80 feet from a main line of the L&N and nothing will make me feel better than that sound.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
What noise or sound gives you the most joy?

Oh, many ! One of the most notable is the complete silence that I could hear in the Kyzylkum Desert (Uzbekistan) - as in any large desert, I guess... This is really impressive and finally quite rare nowadays : you are alone, in the pure silence, but in the immensity of the landscape.

A+!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Thunderstorms. The sound of rain can be relaxing.

Trains. Grew up 1/4 mile from some busy tracks. The sound of steam engines (yeah, I'm old) and their whistles always stirs my blood. The South Shore (America's last interurban) has horns that are unique. The sound of them rushing by at nearly 90mph was special.

Radial aircraft engines. Nothing else makes such a sound.

Toddlers laughing. Happiest sound on Earth.