Jul 23, 2019
WA
I wouldn’t mind one of these:

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
If you can find a '58 Explorer for cheap, it's prolly a good investment 😁
Honestly, I think the guitar/investment portfolio thing is done. There's gonna be some oddballs that appreciate but regular stuff will be just that, a 2006 Strat ain't going to be vintage..

Teledriver

Country Gent
Feb 12, 2011
Iowa City, IA
I looked at those Hello Kitty guitars a month or so ago on Reverb, and eBay too I think, after some chatter about how good little guitars they actually were. Never played one, but decided to do as the OP did and see the going rate.
No explanation, but if they are actually good, and this isn't something the young girls are going for because of some Tik-Tok thing or whatever, then I guess I missed out. I have noticed since Covid, that although Fender and Gibson have huge sales as usual, so do most if not all off-brands. Those that can afford, buy big accordingly. The rest of us go for good, quality instruments that do, in fact, play and look and work exceptionally well. "Cheap" seems to no longer exist as a term, unless talking about Wally World guitars (maybe? haven't looked recently). Even "inexpensive" is vague. The term now is "affordable". This last term implies quality, form, finish, and function are a given and not do be doubted, because the components are better than they were in the past and that the workmanship is at the highest level it is ever been.

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
The best investment guitar is the one you buy because it inspires you… to practice, to be creative, to try something new. The highest potential return on investment is the investment you make in yourself.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I looked at those Hello Kitty guitars a month or so ago on Reverb, and eBay too I think, after some chatter about how good little guitars they actually were. Never played one, but decided to do as the OP did and see the going rate.
No explanation, but if they are actually good, and this isn't something the young girls are going for because of some Tik-Tok thing or whatever, then I guess I missed out. I have noticed since Covid, that although Fender and Gibson have huge sales as usual, so do most if not all off-brands. Those that can afford, buy big accordingly. The rest of us go for good, quality instruments that do, in fact, play and look and work exceptionally well. "Cheap" seems to no longer exist as a term, unless talking about Wally World guitars (maybe? haven't looked recently). Even "inexpensive" is vague. The term now is "affordable". This last term implies quality, form, finish, and function are a given and not do be doubted, because the components are better than they were in the past and that the workmanship is at the highest level it is ever been.

I think the guitars usually get modded. So I can’t imagine the electronics being too good. Although it could simply be players want to make it theirs.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Not a Gibson, noooo... according to Reverb it's the Squier Hello Kitty Strat.

They're selling for over $700, and being listed for more than $1,000.

🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱
I think the one you passed up on, for something more worthy was the best investment.

An afternoon on the dock, with the line in the water with no bait on the hook is a pretty good investment.

When I was in high school and half the class was ducking into the washrooms to catch a few drags off their favorite ciggie between classes, I had already decided I would never be a smoker.

One of the best investments I ever made...and still paying dividends.

Not to mention, marrying the best girl in the world...made me wealthy in more ways than I can describe.

Best,

BIB.

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
fe01f.png
And then there’s this one, I hadn’t seen before, the trem arm is the cat’s tail!
What?!
I know! right?

Highroller

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
I don't know that from a financial standpoint, these would have been a good investment. First off, they weren't really players in the normal sense. You'd need the full set - in their original boxes - for them to really be worth anything. And I can't imagine ever doing that.

But I'm still kind of regretting that I never moved on at least one or two of these Americana Series guitars from a few years ago. Probably the Sunset Serenade, at least. Just for fun, if nothing else.

I see 'em pop up on Reverb every once in a while, usually around $200 each, which is up a little from their original prices ... but when you factor in inflation, not really.

I dunno, I keep passing on 'em. It could be a fun way to throw away $200, but then I think of something I can actually use and buy that instead! 🤷‍♂️

Gretsch Americana Series.jpg

Anybody here have the full set? I bet somebody does! 👍

---

Last edited:

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
Not a Gibson, noooo... according to Reverb it's the Squier Hello Kitty Strat.

They're selling for over $700, and being listed for more than $1,000.

🐱🐱🐱🐱🐱
MK,

The best investment doesn't necessarily mean the most valuable, or the one which ''you hope'' may give you the best investment $$$ return.

To me, it's that one ''go to special'' the one that draws you like a magnet, the one that's comfortable like your favorite pair of jeans.

I'm fortunate enough to have a few of those.

Sometimes investment value has absolutely nothing to do with money.

Best,

BIB.

loopy reed

Electromatic
Nov 7, 2022
Nashville TN
All guitars are pretty bad investments when adjusted for inflation. Especially if they aren't maintained properly, like a lot of "collections" and "investments" are.

MadKaw

Gretschie
Apr 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
Sadly, everyone seems to be missing my point... OK, in all fairness I suppose I was being obtuse and not terribly pointy.
I was not advising people to invest in Hello Kitty guitars. I am just bemused and befuddled by the rapid rise in price of what is essentially a kids beginner guitar with a sticker on it. Personally, I'd just as soon have a pet rock. But as long as they're not using taxpayer money to buy them, people can do what people do.
For that matter, if you'd like to put a Hello Kitty sticker on your White Falcon... go for it. Whatever makes you happy.
Hello-Kitty-Decal_1200x1200.jpg

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I recently found a 2017 reverb-overview of -then- current prices of vintage sunburst (no custom colours) Stratocasters.
The most expensive ones were 50ies models in pristine condition: USD 28.000. I had to smile. 5 years later the prices have doubled although everybody is telling you that the vintage-guitar-craze has come to an end since 2008.