Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What's my next pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by J Bird, Feb 4, 2017.

1. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I think you need a Sonic Maximizer!:D

2. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    I'll get a JHS Morning Glory next week to end my infinite collection of boosts/ODs.

3. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Just a quick note on this topic. I just recently acquired a BOSS GE-7 seven band EQ pedal, and have been experimenting with it by placing it in front of my overdrives (e.g. tube screamer). WHOA, what a revelation! For example, need to tighten the bass? Just roll off 200 Hz and below. Want to bump up the mids for a solo? Increase the 800 and 1.6K Hz bands. Need a solo volume boost? Just increase the level and adjust the frequencies to taste. For boost applications, you can experiment with placing the EQ in your effects loop. Or just place it in your effects loop to shape the tone going to your power amp.

Finally, need a quick acoustic simulator? Bump up the low and high frequencies and scoop the mids (works great with my Telecaster!).

[​IMG]
    More ideas here...

J Bird and Ricochet like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Derek Irving

Derek Irving Electromatic

Nov 8, 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm thinking between Catalinbread Topanga or Surfy Bear DIY reverb.

6. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    The Topanga has a great splash. It's close to the onboard TR tank sound, but with more parameters--I run it brighter sounding than the Twin's. Now, keep in mind that the level knob is on all the time and this pedal will automatically flavor your sound, on or off. Actually, iirc, there is an internal bypass switch, but I haven't switched it from 'trails.' Once, I put it at the end of a longer chain with an fx processor and it was not good. Perhaps it's level was too high, something to watch for.

I also have Catalinbread's Belle Epoch. Really nice for slapback, it too has a flavored preamp, but you set the internal gain to about unity and leave it. When pushing the feedback echoes, the transition from multitudes of echoes to an harmonic feedback loop is too sudden--at one o'clock ish. I'm more used to the boss dsd3 tapered pot where there is an hesitation before the swell of a feedback loop. Also, the BE tends to loop into one tone, maybe dependent on the rate or some other parameter.

Enough with the reviews, let's get on to the good news.
    I bought an Atomic Brain, it'll be here by Monday (thanks wafflej).
    I'm getting pretty excited!

7. allmodcons

allmodcons Electromatic

Oct 9, 2008
    Halfmoon Bay,B.C.
    To paraphrase Frank_NH.....:cool:
    The Boss GE-7 is my number one pedal. BUT-- it really needs an easily done mod to quiet the hiss down---after that it is just great. Want to play filtertrons through your 5E3? Just a mid-range scoop,and it sounds awesome. Need to tame a blackface and Tele combo? Just drop the high freqs. a bit. Need a subtle solo boost without changing tone??..... . The GE-7 would be my next pedal...and I already have one!

8. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Gretschie

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada