Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What's my next pedal?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by J Bird, Feb 4, 2017.

1. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Here's my wisdom for you. Sell all of that, get a Nocturne Shrunken Brain(or a Mystery Brain if you want the most incredible tape echo emulator thrown in on the deal). Add one nice touch sensitive OD pedal(I use the Rockett Archer Ikon)afterwards. Pump all of that through a good 15-20 watt tube amp set to the edge of breakup and be done with it. That setup right there will give you just about any sound you want using only your volume and tone knob.

You're welcome!! ;)

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  2. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Many thanks, especially TSims for taking interest.
    I don't think I'll ever sell my twin and buy another combo. With two power tubes removed, 1 speaker disconnected and, most importantly, a 12ay7 in v2 my twin is glorious in the living room, with another guitar and a bass. Think a 54w twin reverb (I imagine this is what an 85w blackface sounds like)(go ahead and curse me).

So, now I'm going rook>belle>joyo American. Belle is slapback, always on, Rook fills out the bass and brightness, American does 5e3 and speaker emulation. Whoa Daddy!

So, I thought a dynobrain would would give me more on the front end. Tavo suggested a billy, for a master volume twin. Then I started thinking, maybe an atomic...

Now I'm back to square one. I've got sick tone, and I don't know what to do with it.

TSims1 likes this.
  3. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Well now, look what I went and did.
    [​IMG]
    So, even though I've just overextended my budget, I now need a couple more pedals.
    I'm thinking Topanga, tremolo, Dynobrain and an eq, in that order.
    I may order that Woody Topanga from that one dealer (see 'reverb' thread). I had a Grand Wagoneer for years, so I dig that cheesey wood grain.
    I know y'all (I'm looking at you Tsims) are going to say "Brain first." But, I'm still having a hard time deciding which one.

TSims1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    For what you seem to want, a "soul Food" is a great pedal at a reasonably modest price. And you'll be able to afford that bottle of rum too!

Robbie likes this.
  6. ChrsGuit

ChrsGuit Electromatic

Jul 21, 2016
    East Tn
    I use a Way Huge Green Rhino.
    Excellent pedal with a T.S style circuit but with more tweakable eq and db options.
    May I also suggest a Matthews Effects Astronomer ... it is a hall-shimmer reverb and is impeccable with a Gretsch for getting ambient and "secret agent" style reverb sounds.

JimmyB1982 likes this.
  7. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    It's a real piece of wood. I ordered one just to have. I have a mystery brain on the way.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    J Bird and emicad like this.
  8. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    Me too... :rolleyes:

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Have you guys seen the new Belle Epoch(deLuxe) yet?? :p

Srellim1 and emicad like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok but no light OD pedals like tube screamers growl or howl imo.
    BD2 certainly not.
    TS9 is much better but still just a good light OD pedal.

If you want real howl and scream you should be looking at distortion pedals with med to high gain.
    There's 100s of good ones around but none made by Boss imo :)

11. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    C'mon. It's only... a month... away...

12. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    I got other pedals in the meanwhile, so I'll keep myself busy until it arrives. :)

13. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Perhaps give the EHX Soul Food a try. I stack two of them (low to high) and does a very nice job. I hear good things about the EHX Crayon as well.

14. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    Doh! The Woody Topanga sold out. I could get one direct from Catalinbread for the full retail price. Instead, I ordered the standard model off eBay. I can't wait to see how it stacks up against the twin's onboard tank.

Really, I'm all set with drives, in fact, I could get rid of a few. Once I do that, then, I can look for an archer, Tim or something similar. I guess growl and howl are relative to each person's ear. Basically, I'm not into high gain.

15. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For rhythm and growl but not a lot of gain, I like the Rook. Do you already have a preamp like a Brain or EP Booster? This is essential I believe. Timmy is another good choice that can take you a long way.

16. emicad

emicad Synchromatic

Jul 14, 2015
    Rome, Italy
    What about a Morning Glory V4? Never played one but seems interesting.

17. JimmyB1982

JimmyB1982 Country Gent

Jul 5, 2012
    Saugus, CA
    Have you hear of Mr. Black Effects? He makes a lot of psychedelic modulated pedals, but his drives and fuzzes are really pretty impressive! Unlike a lot of builders out there today he's not copying and tweaking circuits he's actually designing these, and building them here in the USA. Worth checking out.

And to echo my precious post, and the posts of others:

BUY A BRAIN!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mag3 likes this.
  18. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    NPD, yesterday, the Topanga arrived! I like it. Haven't put it head to head, so to speak, with the Twin's reverb, yet. But, without having done so, the Topanga sounds real, real familiar.

Again, the question arises, except this time we've all got to consider that it'll be going into a 5e3, what's my next pedal?

I still think it's a tremolo.

And then, which brain suits the 5e3 the best. I'm really leaning towards the Dynobrain (for 5e3 or Twin).

Thanks again everyone. I've always enjoyed the sounds of early rock and roll and enjoyed playing it. I'd say, overall, my interest has grown at an increasing rate, and you all have only helped.

19. Mag3

Mag3 Electromatic

Nov 22, 2016
    Boston, MA

20. J Bird

J Bird Electromatic

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    The Topanga sounds great, definitely a keeper.

I think I see a Keeley Dynatrem in my future. I may wait a bit in order to get one on sale. There aren't many used out there, which I take as a sign of a high rate of customer satisfaction.

I know everyone is anxious for me to get a Brain, now. I've almost ordered one on several occasions. I'll probably end up getting a Dynobrain.

Thanks for all of your input, I have been checking out all of the suggestions offered. It certainly is a fun and, at times, dizzying moment in history to be shopping for pedals.

21. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Me too! After extensive detective nerd investigations I went for the Soul Food for my Link Wray style thing. Sounds killer