What's in your cup?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by mr coffee, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I love the good stuff but refuse to pay a lot for it.
    I've known people who stopped for a fancy cup every morning and paid what, $5 a day? Can anyone help me with the math?? LOL That's a Fender Pro series or pair of Electromatics every year.

My parents loved 8 O-Clock coffee when I was young and surprisingly that is what I still buy 60+ years later. There is one retailer that sells it for an incredibly low price, costs me about 45 cents a day.
    I like their "Expresso" bake as it's dark and strong. Whole bean cause I grind it myself.
    Some say it is heresy but I love the flavored creamers. Some sort of Mocha is my favorite but I also like a little Mint in there and even French Vanilla when I'm out of the others.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    gretsch-to-go likes this.
  2. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    Trying something different these days, an Israeli brand coffee cooked in a traditional style middle eastern coffee cooking pot (think Greek or Turkish style). This particular coffee (green label package) has cardamom seeds ground into it, and my good friend Avi from Tel Aviv brought me a dozen packages when he visited because he knows it's my favorite coffee drink whenever I visit there.

IMG_3192.JPG

Ando, stevo, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah, I can do Turkish coffee but I'm not a fan of cardamom. Good in a rice dish, as long as I don't bite into a pod. Not so good in my coffee.

-m

Wavey likes this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I like making coffee with an ibrik. It's naturally sweet. But it's also hard to find a grinder that will get that fine, have to buy it pre ground.

Wavey likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    8-o'clock coffee is way underrated. I used to see it at A&P grocery stores at first, then everywhere. Check this out from Wikipedia:

"In the 1930s, Eight O'Clock coffee had gained over a quarter of the U.S. market share. By 1930, it was the most popular brand of coffee in the United States."

gretsch-to-go likes this.
  6. Luthier47

Luthier47 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2021
    East coast USA
    Gee, surprised to find this education coffee section here…but it confirms my methods for brewing. I have a 50oz French press and load it with 5 of those cone shaped spoons and let the corse grind bloom for about 30 seconds before filling with 200 degree water for 4 minutes. If there is a better technique…I’m open to it.

As for k-cups, I fill my own and heard ideally 7grams of ground coffee per 6 ounces makes a good cup but if it’s early, I just fill it by eye

mr coffee likes this.
  7. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    The ice was bigger when I started...

180442253_2496433347169770_3513041219112609257_n.jpg
    -m

8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Ehtiopian Yirgacheffe, roasted yesterday, espresso today:

64156585937__87797C2C-396A-4B87-A31F-C8D5E8D38C22.jpeg

mr coffee likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Never tried that. Preferred?

mr coffee likes this.
  10. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Good stuff when you can find it! Reasonably priced, as well.

-m

stevo likes this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    8 O'Clock coffee was one of the cheapest coffees you could find. A&P and Kroger carried it. It was the only one that you could buy in beans in the '50s. Thee stores had a grinder so you ground it to your own tastes at the time, or, take it home and grind it there. (The finer the grind, the better---it's all about surface area when the water passes thru.) Coffee is always best if you grind the beans just before you brew. Even when sealed in a can, coffee ages. Once opened, it ages quickly.
    The New Yorkers here know about Choc Full O' Nuts coffee. It's one of the cheapest brands out there, yet the flavor (mocha java) is always consistent. Just wish I could get it in the bean. Seattle's Best is another good quality coffee. Best coffee I ever had was a Columbian that I got for Christmas one year from my brother. He told me where he'd found it (a little coffee shop in Zionsville IN) and I went and bought the last three pounds they had. Some folks didn't like it, but those that did raved about it. Too bad we'll never see those exact growing and harvesting conditions again. Just glad that I had it for a short time.

Anyone remember when a pound of coffee was a whole actual 16 ounces, not 12 or 13? It changed in the '80s or '90s. Just another way to gouge the consumers.

gretsch-to-go and mr coffee like this.
  12. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I’m mostly off coffee right now, what I had been drinking was iced coffee, as ordered from Starbucks, “Vente Iced Coffee, unsweetened, no milk.”

I tried getting that from Tim Hortons, but they would variously give me coffee with ice or some sugar drink.

I was getting it from Starbucks, but there is only one 24-hour Starbucks in town and it is in a hospital. If you arrived to Starbucks in the last hour-and-a-half they were open, they often wouldn’t give you an iced coffee because they didn’t want to start a new jug.

I tried the Starbucks from the supermarket, but the only unsweetened one available is cold brew, and they use a different bean in that.

Someone bought me a cold brewer. I found it bitter and fussy.

I was most happy drinking this carton from Vancouver, JJ Bean Cold Brew, it is very good.

[​IMG]

And then the pandemic hit and I no longer needed coffee. My head hurt so bad, I couldn’t figure out why at first, but I finally put 2 and 2 together. I slowly reduced my intake, and then for many months I would take an ounce or two, like medicine. I haven’t needed it in a couple of weeks now.

The JJ Bean is hard to come by at the moment. I guess Vancouver is drinking it all.

If you are drinking lots of strong coffee and you decide to stop, do it carefully!

13. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I've reduced my caffeine intake somewhat, I usually mix up my own half-caff from regular and decaf, whether it's beans or instant. For me, coffee is as much to do with the ritual of sitting over my breakfast with a mug of something warm.

-m

14. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Brazilian dark roast from the local deli.

mr coffee likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    IMGUR had a long post today about the history of coffee, and the history of the world coffee helped to make. Good read!

mr coffee likes this.
  16. A little salt sprinkled into your coffee is supposed to cut bitterness.
    I dunno. Now I’m bitter because my coffee tastes salty.

Gold Penguin and mr coffee like this.
  17. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    It seems like I've heard of salt in coffee before, but I'm thinking it would have to be a very small amount. I've known guys to salt their beer...not something I'm crazy about, although I do like a good michelada from time to time, refreshing on a hot day.

-m

18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Supposed to be just a pinch of salt in the coffee. A bit of eggshell, too.
    The real trick is fresh water, and freshly ground beans.

With camp or Turkish coffee, a couple of pebbles added to the mix are supposed to keep the grounds at the bottom of the pot and not in the cup.

For all that's holy, never boil or reheat coffee.

Salt in the beer is supposed to take some of the carbonation out.
    Easier just to not drink cheap beer.

mr coffee likes this.
  19. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Seems like I knew that about the pebbles.

-m

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.