What would you say is an equal to this? low wattage amp

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Apr 19, 2012.

1. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    so yesterday I felt like doing some more research on a smaller amp. I took my modded 5120 (hot Nashville/bridge, surf90s/neck) to my local mom & pop music store (I was also looking for a flanger) and told the store owner what I had in mind. They used to carry Orange amps and thats kinda what I wanted to check out but they didnt have any he told me that stopped carrying them cause they were not the British made one but the junk Chinese ones. He then pointed me to a Marshall MG50FX. which I thought was odd cause I play a Gretsch and....i want a tube amp. The only tube amp he has in stock is a vintage 1950s Gibson LP amp for around 2K, ok Im not buying THAT! So any way I plug in my Gretsch and.....DAMN! that flippin lil 50watter made my Gretsch sing like Ive NEVER known possible! I mean it really brought out the character of my guitar! Im still blown away by it! Im pretty sure that Im going to trade in my 100 watt Fender Frontman 212R for this Marshall but again I havta wait till after I get my DC59-M, I will be going back to play on this amp to make sure that its not just a one off fluke but yesterday this thing sounded amazing!

2. mike77rios

mike77rios Gretschie

Nov 13, 2011
    san Diego
    Looking to sell 6 month old Red 100 watt Fender Frontman 212R, has less than 50 hrs playing time you can pick it up in San Diego CA.
    PM me for more details,

3. I can appreciate the need to sell and buy, but a lot more people would like to see this, just post it in the for sale section.

4. Has anyone been able to try/purchase one of these yet? I haven't yet, I am trying to hold out till i see one in person.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I kind a friend that ones a music store and he has two on order but they are yet to arrive.

6. Hey all! Just checking back in to see if anyone else tried the Excelsior out. Its looking like there are more on line to buy, but still no sign of them in any of the big chains. Its itching me, as I have been taking my bassman reissue to some practices, and its still too loud. I makes me rely to much on the tim to get the break up sound at low levels. At 4 or so, the amp sings, but its too loud for the places I am currently playing. So, still looking for more input on this amp, as the only way i will ever see one is if I buy it. The local GC and SA said they will most likely not stock it.

7. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    Last week the Fender rep around here demo'd the Excellsior using a 6120. Before he plugged in I was a bit skeptical how such an inexpensive tube amp would sound. I was amazed! Very clean sound on the guitar input, slightly darker on the accordion input and the mic input is when the tubes started to break up with volume. That 15" speaker with the 6120 is a perfect combination, for clean clear tones and overall volume. The amp is quite light and back saving. The fender rep was keeping this sample for his own use, he loved it so much. And he did say there was a supply issue with delivery eta's unknown. I'd say no worries if you bought one sight unseen.

8. Would the clean sound cut through with a drummer, in a small club? Or would you say it had to be miked?

9. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    If the Excelsior came with reverb, but was still being aimed at that rather rockbottom price range, then the reverb wouldn't be up to much. Simpler to add your own outboard reverb of choice.

The very nature of this amp suggests the speaker will be a bit bargain basement, although that gnarly cheapo sound when wound up might be just what you want if you like the sounds of 1950s Maxwell Street, Chicago (I do). However, I'd also like to hear an Excelsior fitted with a better 15-inch speaker: no need for a JBL, which would probably cost as much as the amp, but one of Eminence's better offerings might be interesting.

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    13 Watts isn't what I would consider low wattage. Given that the amp has very little in the signal path, I think it's going to be quite loud. 2 6V6 tubes are quite a bit of power when driven through a single volume control. Granted, there's only one 12AX7 in the preamp, but still...

I have a Brownface Deluxe clone and when I run it at 11 watts, (using 6k6 instead of 6v6 tubes) it will blister your ears. If I put in 6L6 tubes, it's unbearable in my basement at full volume.

And remember that 50 watts isn't 1/2 the loudness of 100 watts. It's only 3dB down in loudness.

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Don't forget that most of the original speakers you find in the old Fenders weren't expensive at all. A total misnomer, guitar speakers need not be expensive to sound good. That being said, I have no idea what the speaker is like in the Excelsior.

12. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    From what I heard the amp has sufficient volume to cut thru with a drummer in small clubs. But, depending on how hard your drummer pounds the skins or how rowdy the audience is..better bring a mic just in case. I don't know if you have one, but consider using an amp stand to get that 15" speaker to really project.

13. Been using the bassman reissue, which I usually just put on the floor. i can scrounge up a stand, or hire someone to hold it up.

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sounds like a plan.

Sent using G-T Forum app

15. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Freddy, I have had my eye on these since they were announced!

I did pick up a Blues Jr NOS last month and really dig it for quieter practicing and as a small grab and go amp to save my two regular gigging amps. But man, that bias tremolo makes my mouth water! I know the Excelsior might still come home with me someday.

I just saw this thread a few minutes ago and was so terribly bummed to get here to the bottom and not find out you'd picked one up! LOL I was ready to make a trip to come try it out!

If you hear of them hitting the GC over in the Burg, lemme know. I promise to do the same. I'm dying to try it out!

16. Will do. I did have Musicians friend on the phone a while back, but a few things didn't work out, which is a shame, cause they offered 15 percent off!

17. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Freddy, I played it!!!!! I played it at the GC in Fredneck's Burg! I was the very first one to put some bad notes through it! Marcus plugged it in just for me. Looks like it had just come out of it's box a few minutes before hand.

If I hadn't been laid off two weeks ago, that bastadge would be mine today! It sounded good. I loved it. I may slide back over this morning, against my better judgement, with one of my guitars... Just to hear it.

I WANT.

18. Thanks for the tip! Sorry to hear about your job. I am going out to Stafford this evening to rehearse a bit with a mandolin player, I might stop in and check it out.

19. Shot you a PM.

20. I finally played one this afternoon. If money was falling out of my pockets, i would have taken it home. But I have to let one thing go, to get this. I played it with a strat, a sg with p90's, and for giggles, a 5120. The place was busy, so I didn't want to be one of those that cranks the amp. On low settings, it didn't break up. I kept the bright switch on dark, as i thought the bright was tinny. I am guessing it would hold up in a gig, without distorting, but my main interest was how it broke up. Not wanting to be the guy that everyone stares at, i made the clerk do it, He turned it up all the way. I would say 10, but there are no numbers. At full volume, chords were messy on the 5120 he used, but single notes sang. While he made noise, i turned the volume up and down. Didn't notice a big difference between what would be 6 and 10. It does have a good blues bite a high levels, but it would still be loud at that setting, enough so, that I couldn't rehearse with it at that level, without complaints, and would still need to use my tim and such. The downside for the store, was that it was right in front of a baseman, like i have at home. So, i played both,. back to back. I don't need to tell you that the sound is not comparible. The bassman sounds full, and the excelsior sounds thin, next to it. But we are talking apples and grapes, . I did the comparison, to see if I could justify selling the baseman to buy this, and pocketing the rest of the cash for an sg down the road, but I couldn't get myself to make the sacrifice. Like i said, if cash was not an issue, its a great amp at that price range, and I would have gotten it. If time permits, i will go back with the atomic brain, and see if it livens up the amp any.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.