What would be your choice?

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by UlisesV, Sep 3, 2021.

1. UlisesV

UlisesV Electromatic

Apr 27, 2019
    Monterrey, Mexico
    Hello all....
    D'Angelico Premier Series EXL-1 Hollowbody, vs Gretsch G100 CE Synchromatic, vs Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin Archtop Hollowbody.

What would be your choice to play general fingerstyle music, from Bach to Ragtime?

I know being this forum about Gretsch guitars, answers may be kind of biased... :) ... oh well... :)

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Godin 5th Ave is a treat. Beautiful instruments.

NJDevil and section2 like this.
  3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I like the looks of the Gretsch, but I've never played one. I'd like to. I've played a couple of Godins and they are very nice. I'm not a huge fan of the D'Angelico, the headstock in particular just kinda...ew.

-m

4. Have you considered a Guild Starfire.

NJDevil likes this.
  5. Have you considered the Guild Starfire?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sorry for an answer not contemplated in your question, but I would look hard at the Eastman lineup.

radd likes this.
  7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @UlisesV , although I do not own a D'Angelico , I have been to the D'Angelico showroom a few years ago in New York City . I'll say this much .......
    Their doing something right . There a great guitar , in fact , it was a very tough choice when I was looking at 12 strings . Although I purchased the Martin D12-28 ( acoustic ) and a Gretsch G5422G-12 FSR ( electric ) the decision was a difficult one as the D'Angelico is a fine product

8. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    The only one I've had my hands on is the Godin, and it's a great instrument but the neck is pretty chunky, which is a deal breaker for me. Another one you might look at is the Loar, they have a couple of models that are ES-125 copies, the cheaper on is the 309, but I think they also have one further up their line.

9. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Gretschie

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    Henry and CBHScott like this.
  10. david garcia

david garcia Electromatic

Jan 29, 2021
    Arizona
    Well I’ve owned eastman both their higher end and lower end and Gretsch of course but to be honest the eastmans in my collection just blow away the gretches In build quality and playability as well as overall tone
    I own both a t49/varnish (es-175 style) and I can say for a fact it’s the best hollowbody I’ve ever played
    Came perfectly intonated from the box with a perfect low set up and stays in tune flawlessly
    I also own a T58/amber varnish and it’s obviously copying a gretsch g6120 Chet Atkins model I genuinely feel like the Eastman beats out my own Gretsch 6120 for a few reasons
    But not without some work
    It came with a standard buzz o matic and would go out of time the second I bent a string or used the bigsby, that was fixed by getting better tuners and a rocking bar bridge, it’s a real deal floating tune in matic arch top guitar with now pins but since the finish is unique to Eastman it doesn’t move around even with 11’s and my heavy handedness it also has a solid spruce top and flame maple back and sides as well a flame maple binding but that may just be that I got lucky because it’s not on the spec sheet
    It’s excessively loud acoustic voice is actually incredible because it sounds like a hollow body so it has that higher register sweetness and the nice snap and attack in the lows that we love from arch tops but to each his own
    It doesn’t have the same cool factor my Chet has but it has its own cool factor
    I like it’s inspired by by not a blatant copy
    The first thing I played was my own transcription of Mr.sandman and wow it sounds just like the original recording with that incredible sweet top end but all the fidelity in the world
    I sold all 3 of my 5420’s to fund this guitar as none of them really felt as good as my 6120 but that’s just me
    You really do get what you pay for

radd likes this.
  11. david garcia

david garcia Electromatic

Jan 29, 2021
    Arizona
    Really off topic but if I were you I would get a classic guitar with a cutaway, that would be prefect for you, classic to ragtime, that’s your ticket

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.