What was the deal with the G5420T Black models?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by BohemianLikeMe, Oct 21, 2020.

1. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    What was up with these?

[​IMG]

I've seen these pop up on image searches quite a bit, but I've never seen one on Reverb or available in stores in the EU. Were they a FSR or something? I'd love to grab one as a cheaper alternative to my 6120.

Also, why isn't Gretsch making more of them? :D:p

2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    That looks cool, I agree that they should be in the current line up.

3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    The headstock shows that is not a current model and has to be at least 3 or 4 years old? I'm not sure, others know the history better than I.
    Just like any discontinued model, you've got to grab one when you find it.

And I think the black looks great!

Edit: Thought I found one in England for you but it says OOS in small letters. https://abbey-road-music.com/shop/gretsch-g5420t-electromatic-black/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    MyGirlGretta and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  4. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Yeah, I'm in no position to buy another guitar at the moment, just kind of bummed that you can't find a black 5420 anywhere. It's such a classic look! :D And honestly, I like it a lot more than that the current special edition with the gold hardware.

I always thought the Black Falcons looked great, if a bit too big. And the BSSS in black is way too pricey.

Edit: the tombstone inlays make me think it was an FSR, but I can't seem to find anything about it.

Also weirdly enough, there does seem to be a production model LEFTY with all the same finish options.

5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And I think there are some black G5120Ts out there too. Look the same but older (discontinued 2013) and likely less expensive.
    The G5129T in my avatar is a 2004 I was lucky to find this past summer.

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Its not that easy to find a black 6120 either.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    They do have a current black but it's got that fugly gold hardware on it rather than the classy and understated chrome as in the pic.

*ducks*

33Jayman, Groutsch and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  8. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    That's a G5420 from the first roll out I believe. Still had the vertical electromatic script at that time. Replaced the G5120 that I have and also came out with the Blacktops installed when gretsch started making those again.

9. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Exactly! It's an early G5420 with BT pickups. The later version came with the smaller headstock and the elimination of the vertical "Electromatic" logo on the headstock.

10. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    So these weren't a special run? Good to know, that makes hunting one down eventually a lot easier. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I'm back in the US (probably this coming summer).

I love the bound F-holes too. Really nice touch there.

11. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I guess they stopped the black model eventually when they updated to the next version which was the 5420's. Maybe it just wasn't a big seller, which is evident in the assorted colors now offered.

12. SWoody

SWoody Gretschie

Aug 27, 2018
    PA
    Check Reverb, Ebay, and Gtr Ctr used. There's always 1 or 2 black ones for sale.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.