What TV Jones pickup to add to the mix?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Anacharsis, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I have four Pro Jets. In one, I've got a set of T-Armonds. In another, Vaughn Skow Holy Grail V-Trons (a strong effort at unaltered, faithful reproductions of original Filter'Trons). I may leave the Blacktop Filter'Trons in one of the four.

What (I presume from TV Jones' lineup, though I am open to others) suggestions do you all have to put in the last guitar? I'd like to maximize the overall range I am getting from the pickups chosen. No physical modifications (routing, etc) are in the cards for me, so they need to be Filter'Tron direct replacements. I already have the P90 sound more than covered with other guitars, so only the T-90s would be out of consideration for me from the Jones menu of options.

2. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I would recommend the Tv Jones Brian Setzer Pickup. Great all around pickup that is similar to the tv classic but just more of everything

xtcclassic and Anacharsis like this.
  3. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Power’Trons? I’d assume those would add a little diversity.

loudnlousy and Anacharsis like this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    TVJ Duo-Trons. Best combo of Filtertrons and Supertrons.

Anacharsis likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Without knowing what music your playing, what about maybe a single coil like the TV-HT? Or maybe a popular mixed set like TV Classic or SuperTron in the neck and Classic + in the bridge?

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    All good thoughts. Been thinking about the Power'Trons, as I already have DC SHTs in my 5622Ts (see avatar). Still, that's a good thought as well.

Merc likes this.
  7. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    As far as what I play, kind of an eclectic mix of moderate rock and experimentation. Some fuzzed out stuff, some dead clean, plenty in between.

8. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I have 3 Jets. One has a Setzer bridge and Classic neck, one has a Power’Tron bridge and Super’Tron neck, and one has a Power’Tron Plus bridge and Power’Tron neck. They all sound great and they all have their own thing going on, but there’s something about that Setzer bridge that just does it for me. Considering the pickups you have though, I might suggest a Classic Plus or Power’Tron for something a touch hotter since it sounds like you have the lower output thing covered. I have the Classic Plus in my 5422, it’s a killer pickup and a touch hotter and brighter than the Setzer. The Power’Tron is hotter still with a bit more mids but it still has a lot of Filter’Tron character. As for the neck, something tells me you’ll love the Super’Tron for both the fuzzed out stuff and the clean stuff. It has a really thick-but-clear thing going on.

I play loud, mid-gain rock stuff FWIW.

Anacharsis likes this.
  9. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I have to disagree about the classic plus, to me the setzer is way brighter and twangier and i much prefer the setzer.
    But the classic plus is still a good pickup, just a bit too modern for me ( in a hollowbody at least)

10. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    The Setzer is definitely bright and twangy, no doubt. It just has a bit thicker tone than the Plus due to the slight mid bump, the Plus has less mids so it comes off a bit more scooped to my ears. Maybe not brighter, just a touch less full sounding while at the same time being hotter if that makes sense. As I mentioned in my previous post, though, my 5232 with the Setzer bridge is probably my favorite Gretsch of the four.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.