What the @#$% was Fender thinking?!?!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by araT, Feb 28, 2011.

1. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  2. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    With the number of kids playing rockband, this is a good thing. It might be easier for them to learn at home this way.

3. Drewgrass

Drewgrass Country Gent

Dec 20, 2009
    Teesside ENGLAND
    I'm holding out for the Telecaster! :rolleyes::D

4. Manic

Manic Country Gent

Dec 5, 2009
    Too little, too late. Rockband is being discontinued as a game. Millions of people own it, of course, so isn't going to disappear, but the hype has died down. I wish Fender luck in selling enough of these to make their money back.

5. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I really don't see a point.. sell them a sqiuer starter pack, heck, put a 20% discount coupon in every copy of a rockband game, but building a crossover? they jumped the shark here.

6. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I read the Guitar Player mag write up. Nice controller, but a little late.

7. stixthedrummer

stixthedrummer Electromatic

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo
    I never saw the point of buying a kid a rockband game. As much time as I've seen some kids put into it, they could've started a rock band!

8. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Precisely!! ..why emulate what you can DO in the same environment, in the same amount of time, and for equal or less money!?

It's not like snowboarding where your location, weather & wallet determine whether you can do it or not.. all it takes is a $200 squier starter pack, which is actually cheaper than the console, game & controller!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    I've known kids that prefer to 'ride a bike down bike trails' on their video games INSTEAD OF riding Real bikes on Real (and EXCELLENT) Bike Trails! :rolleyes:

Tom - Stingker

10. JaygLongBeach

JaygLongBeach Country Gent

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern California
    My kids just put the rockband les Paul and strat in the donation box...
    The kids are doing Just Dance 2 on the Xbox kinect... no guitar required...
    I wonder what's going in the donation box next...

11. Dylanphile

Dylanphile Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2010
    Halifax, NS
    Two or three years too late. Too much time stuck in development me thinks. They probably $#!& themselves when they heard the game was being discontinued right before their big reveal.

12. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    Well, late as it is, they're probably gettin' ready for the next level in development, and don't plan to be late for that. - They'll use the knowledge they're gaining to develop the next stage, which will probably follow before too long. - That's my guess.

Tom - Stingker

13. MF_Dearmond

MF_Dearmond Gretschie

Sep 8, 2010
    Oregon
    If I was into the "wish I could play guitar" video games, this would be a welcome addition instead of a plastic controller guitar with 3 buttons. Maybe one day the consumer would switch to the real thing.

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'm with you Tara.

15. Thousanium

Thousanium Gretschie

Jan 17, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, I don't play any of these games but there are some misconceptions people seem to have about these games.

1) Guitar hero and Rockband are more similar to playing Dance Dance Revolution than playing a real instrument. They are rhythm games that are extremely social. People who enjoy the game more often than not have no interest in learning to play an instrument, the guitar is just a controller, and the game is just another reason to get together with friends around a tv.

2) As of late they are trying to transition their gameplay from strictly a rhythm game to a guitar education game, where the notes aren't arbitrary, but where frets correlate to the actual notes. This is why they are making these guitars. For the few people who are actually interested in playing guitar after they experienced the game, these guitars can be plugged into an amp like any other and played normally.

3) More likely than not kids already own a console and when they get bored of a certain game trade it for credit at EB or other game store, there is a pretty established system of exchange and trade.

But in the end none of this matters because you can still go into a music store and buy whatever you can afford, that guitar isn't taking anything away from you, if you don't like it ignore it and if that is not enough; that game style is on the decline anyway.

16. araT

araT Gretschified

Mar 24, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I'd rather those kids pick up cheapo guitars, sit around & jam together.. that's social too :) ..and when they outgrow that ol cheapo guitar they can trade it in for a better one, just like with a game ;)

What really gets my goat about the above guitar, and something I forgot to mention in prior posts (and you may not have noticed) is the plastic fretboard... ick!! how is anyone ever going to be inspired to learn a real instrument with that cheap nasty crap under their fingers!

17. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Synchromatic

Jan 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, California
    I can see it now on fleabay in 10 years "Vintage Fender guitar controller-minty" BIN $4000

18. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Synchromatic

Jan 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, California
    FWIW, I can't stand the term "minty"

19. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Kids don't want to play REAL guitar anymore? They want to be SIM guitar players? Just like they were SIM pilots back when flight sims were all the rage? What's next... girlfriend sims? Sex sims?

I can see where rock band/guitar hero is fun and all, especially for a little kid, but come on... if you want to play, LEARN TO PLAY. WAY cooler than pretending to play.

20. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    The thing about pretending to play is you won't ever get calouses on your left hand fingertips. You won't get sore fingers. There are no chords to learn, and no streching fingers over four frets. Same with "virtual" bike riding/snowboarding/driving/motorbikes/skateboarding and so on. When you crash, you reset the game - you don't get hurt and there's no physical cost.

As far as the plastic fretboard goes, guess what Hagstrom guitars use for their fretboards. It's like SX guitars and banjos with the non-existent "malapooka" they're made from - all plastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.