What speaker ?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by cowmoo, Jun 28, 2020.

1. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I’ve got the 1x12” cab back. I’m going to sell the quad of v30’s i own and get something alnico in a 12” or make a new baffle and go 2x10”
    Looking on the net at celestion gold/cream, Jensen p12n or blackbird.
    Really fancy 2x10’s but what single 12 would work well in the cab, open or close back. 968D5DC2-2EEC-4DDC-A953-10227BE43D10.jpeg

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    All the Celestion Alnico speakers sound good. Bassman amps are hard on speakers so the Alnico Cream in my opinion would be the best for your situation. It's rated 90 watts. The gold is rated 40-50 watts. Forget about the Blue (my favorite speaker) unless you are going to use 4 of them (15 watts).
    The other thing to remember is the stock Bassman output transformers are rated 4 ohms so 2 8 ohm 10 or 12 inch speakers would be a better match.
    I have ran my Bassman through 8 ohm cabinets and it sounded okay but personally I think it sounds it's best through a 4 ohm cabinet.

loudnlousy and Ricochet like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Yes, Celestion Alnico Gold.

G5422T likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    +1 on the Gold.

Really like the tone of this speaker.

IMO, get your favorite speaker(s) in the cab of your choice.

This works well for adjusting "mismatch." I've had one for a couple of years now.

My ears don't hear anything added or taken away from tone with it hooked up.

https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Ricochet likes this.
  5. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

+3 on the Gold

G5422T likes this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I would love to have a 2-10" Gold cab set up too. Based on how I like the single 12," a pair of those 10's would sound good to my ears.

My present 1-12" Gold loaded cab on the bottom. (Yes the AC10C1 sounds huge through it.)

20190928_141207.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I would look at the Weber Gray Wolf alnico. Similar to a blue dog but capable of higher power and sounds like a more modern sounding BlueDog, pretty cool if you want a 2x10 or 1x12.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  8. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Thanks fellas!
    I have read up over the weekend and listened to many demo’s there were some concerns some had with the gold sounding raspy in reviews?
    Others say the cream is less aggressive in its attack but doesn’t have much character when pushed?
    I’ve still got two 2x12 cabs, one with the v30’s one with two Jensen p12r in.
    I’d rather convert to 2x10” and run at 4ohm but i am installing a switch to use the 8 ohm tap, so 1x12” if it sounds good and smooth with a tight bass and i don’t mind a scooped mid either will be good.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    As Bassmans are ballsy amps I would always opt for higher wattage speakers. There is a reason for Fender offering them in a 4x12 combo.
    Have you checked a setup with two of your V30 already? This should sound quite nice.

cowmoo likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I compared the stock Celestion with a V30, Neo vintage, Anniversary, Hot 100 and an Alnico Gold in a Marshall DSL401 and to my ears the Alnico Gold was the smoothest of them all.

Note I don't play at gigging volumes so maybe that would account for the rasp or lack there off. I did note the low end is a tad undefined under hi-gain, and because of lack of fizzy treble content the focus lies very much on the characterful mids(might make it raspy?)

I liked the Gold so much I got a couple for my other amps/cabs and even got the 10" version just before I left for the monkeys.

cowmoo likes this.
  11. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    EVM15L, hands down.

wabash slim likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Or an Altec D-120F or D-130F.

lathoto likes this.
  13. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    -Weber 12F150 or Silver Bell ceramic. You can order at 75 watts in either. if buying new you can order in 4 ohms to match the Bassman too. But I ran my Bassman with an 8 ohm speaker and it was great. I really like the Silver Bell 75 watt I had.
    -EV 12L would be cool.
    -An Emi Red White and Blues would be great, easy to find, inexpensive, and they are 150 watts.

I have a couple of EV Force 10 speakers I'm thinking of selling. But they are quite expensive speakers. :>)
    [​IMG]

cowmoo likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Worth every penny.

15. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I have been using either a 2x12 with v30’s or one with Jensens, I wanted this compact cab to make gigging less of a chore!

I’ve already got interest in my v30’s but only if they’re uk made (1 is) i can’t hear the difference tbh!

16. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I recently put a Celestion Cream alnico in my Princeton SE (12") and love it. Not raspy at all, it does have a beautiful, smooth breakup tone though (it's a Celestion). 90 watts, 100db, great alnico articulation and tons of headroom. In the Princeton the bass is nice and tight (big improvement) and it's a bit mid-scooped. That's in a '65 black faced Fender though.

cowmoo likes this.
  17. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Some reviews describe the cream as having a kind of bloom to the attack?

18. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Electromatic

Feb 17, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hellatone a50 is really good, and the Scumback m75 65w is great for a more Greenback tone.

cowmoo likes this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I know nothing about Weber speakers.
    Don't see many in Australia.
    But also see now they're lots cheaper than Celestions

Tone wise do you know how the 12" Weber Gray Wolf alnico compares with a Celestion Gold or Cream?
    I'm looking for cheaper good Celestion alnico alternatives.

Or maybe a better Q is - which of the Weber speakers sound closest to a Celestion Gold or Cream :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do not, I found no good online comparisons. I went on gut since I have five other Webers that lived up to their descriptions. I find the Greywolf is as well. A more modern-sounding version of the Blue Dog but still capable of old school tone if desired. It is the only alnico speaker I have. I generally like alnico until I hear it next to the same speaker with a ceramic mag. I always feel like the alnico version is missing something the ceramic has. But with this one, I like both equally. Different flavors.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.