Join Gretsch-Talk Today

What pickups to put in my 5420t?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by EasyKill, Feb 15, 2017.

1. EasyKill

EasyKill Electromatic

Feb 15, 2017
    Long Island
    Thanks for the welcome and advice everybody. It's looking like the TV Classic & TV Classic Plus is going to be the move. Wish me luck.

wildeman likes this.
  2. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    no love for Brian Setzer Signatures?

3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome EasyKill! I like what you are aiming for, dark surf especially. As a single-coil guy, Filters have a way of 'blurring' things and making things less distinct to my ears. A standard HS Filtertron is a 'high output' pickup for me, it tends to clobber my single coil amp settings. That's a good thing, though, but I always bump the treble a bit when I need to switch to a Filter.

I do like all the current Filter offerings from Gretsch, including the BT, and as most people do, I like TV Classics. Too me, they are all slight variations on a single theme--a bright, articulate humbucker. When you say you need clarity, and I listen to your samples, its sounds to me like you either need more output, or more high end--and I think BTs are plenty bright when clean. I don't use high gain dirt with my Gretsches, but I bet the BTs aren't pushing your dirt pedal very well. So the TVJ move is a good one, but if that doesn't blow you away, consider an additional dirt pedal, or a clean boost/EQ dedicated to the Gretsch.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Current BTFTs:
    4.3k ohm (neck); 4.6k ohm (bridge)

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    If I had a 5420 or a 5422 I would want to install TV Jones T'Armonds in the Filtertron mount. I listened to all your samples and sample videos and I think these pickups will get you the tones you're searching for.

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  7. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here is a video clip of my old custom built Telemaster(Waterslide Guitars)with a TVJ Classic and a Plus.
    I am also a higher gain/punk-psychobilly/stoner rock guy and this combo was fantastic for all of my needs, from crunchy blues to manic distorted fuzzzzz.

8. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    I don't think the TVJ Universal Mounting Kit will work with HS Filter'trons. It appears from the following link, that it only works with TVJ pickups. See: http://www.tvjones.com/blog/the-new-patent-pending-tv-jones-universal-mount-system-is-here
    Hope all goes well. I'm sure you'll make the right decision! :- )

9. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think it could work (see left side of pic below) but one should confirm with TVJ, but if the HS Filterstrons have ears, you'll probably need to remove them.

[​IMG]

BorderRadio and emitex like this.
  10. emitex

emitex Gretschie

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Good follow-up, Henry. Thanks! :- )

11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting, but it might make sense to ask TVJ by mail before ordering, just to make sure ... and maybe even get tips.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    TV's are a hot commodity used too, so if you sell that guitar later you can just put the B.Ts back and sell the classics separately

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    TVJ will probably say 'no'--can one even buy the mount system separately?

I do see how it could work, though. Those little tabs on the mount look like they can be snipped off and the the screw tightened down enough. Put a two screw adapter on one side and it will be pretty stable.