What Pick Do You Use, and Why?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Wjensen, Jul 25, 2020.

1. tpwaterhouse

tpwaterhouse Electromatic

Nov 5, 2010
    san luis obispo, ca

2. tpwaterhouse

tpwaterhouse Electromatic

Nov 5, 2010
    san luis obispo, ca
    Jim Dunlop Nylon 1MM. Good grip and they last. I'm primarily a rhythm player. Tortex didn't last. Used Clayton Thomas .63MM for years until a friend had me try the Dunlops. Just wish they offered a brighter color instead of only black. Ever drop a pick on dark stage?:cool:

Wjensen likes this.
  3. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    I play rhythm guitar mostly with light gauge strings. I like the standard shaped Fender thin picks and the Dunlop 46mm Delrin picks. 21041046112.MAIN__39488.1576897451.jpg

Trash Kidd likes this.
  4. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Well, this pick subject changes for me from time to time. Currently, I always have a choice of two picks to grab on stage. One is the old black Dunlop 1.omm nylon that I've had for many years, and the other is a blue Dunlop Tortex that feels like 1.omm but all the lettering is worn off so I'm not sure.
    The lightest pick I can use anymore is the grey Dunlop .88mm, and I keep a few of them around for the strumming stuff.
    At home I have an assortment to use depending on my mood and what I'm playing. I sometimes grab a few of my V-Picks and mess with them, most often their Tradition Lite in blue. I don't often like them on stage because through in-ear monitors I can hear them click on the strings and find that annoying.

5. benderb9

benderb9 Electromatic

Dec 10, 2019
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Blue Chip .40 though I have a .60 in a carrier on my keychain. I have a TAD .40 I Stupid Glued on a fracture and it's like new.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Current favorite, Blue Chip Jazz 100. But after losing it for 24 hours in the grass, I won't use it on a lawn! Mass produced favkrites are the Stubby 3.0 and Jazz III - my Bkue Chip is basically the perfect combination of those two picks.
    2020-07-29 21.19.04.jpg

Wjensen and Bertotti like this.
  7. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    Dunlop Ultex sharp 2.0.png I had been using picks before, but never really thought about deliberately choosing one. When the time came to buy my own and get my first 'real' pick (maybe 6 years ago), I walked into the local guitar shop, had a look at what they had, and grabbed a few that looked like they 'coulda been a contender'. Different colours, thicknesses and shapes. They were all 'good' more or less, but the Dunlop 2.0s were a distinct stand-out for me. I'm not really sure why, they just seem to do the job as well or better than the others, and I was more 'unaware' of having them in my hand. So I decided in these, have a stash of them at home now, and don't feel a need to look elsewhere. It struck me as weird that I would have a fairly definite favourite when there was so much similarity between them, but I did, and this was it.

Wjensen likes this.
  8. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
  9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
  10. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I like the Fender heavies - the clear kind. The clear ones are less "clicky" than the opaque kind. And if you turn them around and pick with one of the other two rounded edges they're great for jazz.

11. GreatGretsch

GreatGretsch Country Gent

Jun 25, 2008
    Pittsburgh suburbs
    Clayton-Celluloid -0.72 AF2A3000-1587-42FF-BC26-CA2836109037.jpeg

12. dougmon

dougmon Gretschie

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    Until I read your post, I didn't know these came in a larger size. Or I did and I forgot. :rolleyes:

Gave these a try, and they've replaced the smaller Jazz III that I was using.

Thanks, RomanS!

RomanS likes this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.