What Pick Do You Use, and Why?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Wjensen, Jul 25, 2020.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I ordered a couple of these to try out. The ONLY thing wrong with them I found is that it sticks out too far from my thumb. I can't really do pinch harmonics with it. I need to trim the tip back.
    However, about 8 years ago I started playing with Chris Broderick's pick clip. A metal guitar virtuoso, formerly of Megadeth, and now in a band called Act of Defiance beset with a terrible frontman. This thing is great. I haven't stopped using it.
    I've mentioned it many times on this site for people interested in Fingerpicking. Works fantastically.
    http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/store/
    pick-clip001.jpg
    pick-clip002.jpg pick-clip003.jpg

Gregor likes this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    +1 on the Star Picks. My dry hands appreciate the extra purchase and the tone is good.

Cdb1961 likes this.
  3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

My favorite picks for electrics are Fender 351 celluloid (medium and 1.0 heavy), and Dunlop Nylon Max Grip .73 for acoustic and occasionally for electric. I also have Fender 351 thins, a couple of jazz picks and various other manufacturers and thicknesses, including a thumb pick that I tried out a number of years ago.

I don't throw out picks that I don't currently use, because I never know when I might get a better understanding about something as I go along. I keep all my extra picks in a divided plastic case.

Wjensen likes this.
  4. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I´m currently using dunlop nylon in 0,88mm or 1mm.
    A friend gave one of these to me and i really liked them ...
    before i always used the tortex

5. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    V-Pick Tradition UL's are my favorites right now.

These are Fender 351 Medium-sized.

[​IMG]

rob batz likes this.
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Which way is the wind blowing? :)

I use a Fred Kelly Slick Pick much of the time. It’s a thumb pick that lends itself well to being gripped. I can do almost anything with these that I could do with a flat pick, and then use it for fingerstyle. But wait, there’s more! :)

I have a collection of V-Picks and they make some great sounds. My favorite is the Bullseye, in 2.8mm. I also have some as thick as 4mm. I have some acrylic 351 sized picks and have been known, on occasion, to use a Jim Dunlop, 205, which is about perfect for a small pick.

A slightly rounded tip seems to be the main thing I desire in a flat pick. I find that if I use a sharply pointed tip, the sound gets too choppy.

That Pro Plec looks interesting.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    These Nutone brand picks purportedly mimic the sound of real tortoise shell. I think that they sound very good, don't warp (like their Fender counterparts), have a good grip and are slightly larger than a 351 shaped pick, whih is a + for me.

upload_2020-7-28_1-30-17.png

8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ve always used fender medium picks. I bought them by the gross, until I tried these gravity picks from Tavo. He had some made with the Nocturne logo on them. I was surprised at how much I like them. They are thick and almost seem like they would’ve brittle but they aren’t at all. They last a long time and really have a good tone
    89B9803F-87A3-4939-8C2F-B41C03848167.jpeg

9. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    My buddy in the last band I had in riverside used them, and begged me to try one one sunday. I really didnt want to use an acrylic pick as I was happy w my tortex 1mm. But I said yes to the 1.5mm gravity pick and was really impressed for two reasons: The pick absolutely doesnt slip or spin in my hand (thumb and index) plus I felt like I was able to exert less energy in my attack but got the same dynamic response. Totally impressed. Thus I reached out to Gravity and have been having them make me up batches. The green glow so they are easy to find if you drop them, they have polished edges so they have that neon glow.

nickurso likes this.
  10. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree they absolutely don’t slip in my hand. And yes you can find them because they do glow. The non slip thing is something I forgot to mention and it’s weird because you would think they would slip but they grip better than textured picks

11. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    a bass pick because it doesn't fly out of my hand, i don't know how anyone holds on to a standard pick! these last forever 1501508585Dunlop_Tortex_Triangle_114mm.jpg

12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Like I mentioned above I use the Blue Chip picks now but I have tried and it made a fair few over the years. These are some I kept because I liked them or really didn’t like them. I think it’s good to go through picks everyone and then to mess with my packing hand and appreciate the good ones more.
    let’s see the yellow pick is dog poo cheap terrible and way to bendy, the ones on the computer are from acoustic music works work well sound good odd shape you can get used to, the stubby and little stubby sounded good and I like hentip and thickness but they created so much string noise for me. The long one is pick guard nitro cellulose I shaped into a type of mandolin pick that makes you rethink how you pick. The Dunlop’s sound ok feel ok no issues with them really just not what I prefer. The different colored Nocturne also sound ok and feel ok not what I’m after the glowing Gravity Nocturnes sound good and feel good if I wasn’t hooked on the BC picks these would be used a lot. And that pick that says cool with sand paper on it meh. Most of these are just meh anymore except the the homemade and the green glow gravity from Nocturne.
    DE2BC80D-5C72-443F-8022-8CC044E7AA08.jpeg A7040E8A-7C14-44E1-B2A3-6597ACEC762E.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    nickurso likes this.
  13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Gold Herco Flex 50.

Why? I like the feel.

I have a few other sizes/types but i like the Flex 50 the best.

14. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I use Wegen Big City picks, because they feel exactly right, have very good grip and last a lifetime. Until they're lost I mean, yes that still happens with these picks. They're made a few kilometers from where I live, but that's only because I moved 1,5 years ago. Not that the Netherlands is very big, but still.
    Anyhow, here's the link:
    https://www.wegenpicks.com

And a pic of the pick:
    bigcitypicks.jpg

15. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Electromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    The Alaska finger picks look interesting but I haven't tried them (or other finger picks) yet. Has anyone here used them?

16. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Fender 351 medium. I've tried other styles over the years, but the 351 just feels "right" to me.

Fender 351.jpg

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve tried finger picks and have some steel ones for lap-steel playing, but I really prefer not to use fingerpicks for guitar work.

18. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Canada
    I use the Dunlop Gator Grip .58 for Acoustic and the 1.14 for Electric. I like the feel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Novelwriter333

Novelwriter333 Electromatic

May 4, 2015
    Houston, Texas USA
    To keep the pick from slipping between my fingers, I use Juratex Cool Pics with a light, sandy grain imbedded in the blue plastic area. When I'm playing on light strings, I use the .50 gauge. On heavier strings, such as on my acoustic guitars, I use the .80 gauge. I've been using them for 15 years and have yet to have one slip out of my fingers. Picks.jpg

20. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Electromatic

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    I don't have a photo but Dunlop Max-Grip .88 are the best I've found. Great grip while sweating or cold hands, the grip lasts as long as the "sharpness" pick itself does. I usually have 3 ready per show. Some of the other picks on this thread seem pretty similar but the Dunlops are available in Canada, the US, Europe and Japan and I prefer to be able to pick them up wherever I'm touring.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.