What Pick Do You Use, and Why?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Wjensen, Jul 25, 2020.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    C74C9EE9-0D1D-4107-9E55-F5D0D94F8D7B.jpeg I have some residual numbness in my right thumb from nerve impingement in my neck, so I’ve been using Snarling Dogs Brain picks for several years. The texture makes them easy to grip. I usually switch between the 0.73 (red) and the 0.88 (black) ones, depending on which guitar I’m playing and what style of music.

gtttrrr and chairman like this.
  2. OLDBOLDDIVER

OLDBOLDDIVER Electromatic

I find myself picking up these two the most. Dunlop Ultex .60 and Tusq .68 949725D7-B7D5-4EAB-AE9A-393B5DADAB2D.jpeg

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Wegen Bluegrass Picks 1.4 mm (too chicken to pay for a Blue Chip just yet). Tone for days. Great attack. Easy to hold. Works for every guitar I play. Nice bite and full-bodied.

IMG_2320.JPG

SAguitar likes this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    For my heavy rhythm strumming I favor the thinner 0.5mm, if I am doing any riffs or individual string picking patterns I use the slightly thicker 0.6mm, the Red and Orange Dunlop Tortex. If there is not good light, sometimes I have a hard time selecting the right color, so I pretty much use either one. Mostly I stick to the orange 0.60 mm. But for something like Pinball Wizard I will use the .50mm.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 2.15.27 PM.png

I do a lot of just thumb & fingerstyle, p,i,m,a but am trying to learn the hybrid plectrum held with p & i, and then finger pick with the m, a two free fingers, just not quite there yet.

Johnny ray and Trash Kidd like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I've had my Blue Chips for around five years. I guard them like a Marine looking after his rifle. I'm savings pennies for a thicker 100 jazz pick and a round one. Funny thing is with the change shortage maybe it will actually be worth something at some point.

6. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Dunlop Tortex 1.00 mm here: not too heavy but heavy enough to be stiff enough to be precise and correctly attack strings.

The only nostalgia I have about very thin and flexible ones is the pretty sound they make when strumming an accoustic guitar. I should buy one again to check why I stopped using them.

7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Good point. When I was in high school, I bought a $35 pair of Rayban Wayfarer's and while it seemed a little over the top, I did keep up with them for years. I've told myself if I can hang on to the Wegen's as if they were Blue Chips, I'd take the plunge. So maybe soon.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm with you, use the same but in the Jazz 3 size, I prefer heavier picks and just adjust playing style to suit.

loudnlousy likes this.
  9. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Just about anything other than the thin ones that the guitar stores print up and give away. Most often a Dunlop .96, but recently I tried the one on the left and it seems like the new favorite, with better control.

E3B42687-C48E-4654-AE6E-805B4B88252D.jpeg

10. sanhozay

sanhozay Electromatic

Mar 17, 2014
    usa
    usually jazz III ultex, or the green dunlop tortex but back to using a thumbpick, for now. that extra finger simplifies many things, but the thumbpick presents some other 'issues". fred kelly makes a lot of the ones i really like.

11. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'm another one that favors thin picks. I've been using Claytons for years now. 38mm acetate.

Now, the interesting thing is that I've been looking for a comparable thickness thumb pick almost as long and can't seem to find one. I've tried a bunch of different brands, Dunlop included. They're always thicker, even when advertised as thins. Closest I've found so far are the Fred Kelly Bumble Bees, which I'm guessing are about a 50mm, and not awful at all, but not quite what I'm looking for.

If anybody has any suggestions, let me know!

38mm.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Johnny ray likes this.
  12. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Electromatic

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    lathoto, rob batz and chairman like this.
  13. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I generally use the free gimme picks found at the various music stores.

14. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    For electric on rhythm I use orange tortex, lead the blue ones.
    Acoustic I use red tortex.
    Bass guitar I have some cow horn ones that work great.

15. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    My go to pick. I like to mix it up though per John Fogerty.

SAguitar and new6659 like this.
  16. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    +1 on these, I like the reds

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
  18. manunk

manunk Gretschie

I prefer thin firm picks, just a bit of flex. Dunlup 1.0 mm, Tusq ST 1.0, and some guitar store picks in that range. I need rough surfaces to prevent slipping so I'll score up any smooth pick. Lately I've preferred Gravity picks which have less flex but somehow give great tone and don't tire out my hand when I play the long hard leads. Dunlop medium thumb picks for the thumb, filed down so that only about an eight of an inch protrudes from the thumb. I also keep acrylic nails on 3 fingers plus thumb and that works very well too.

19. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    coolbetacarb.jpg These are my new favorites from Cool Picks - They're mysteriously "sticky" and really hard to drop.

20. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    IMG_20200727_172843.jpg

Dunlop Jazz III XL

They have the right amount of stiffness and thickness for fast runs, but are flexible enough for the occasional strummy part, or acoustic playing.
    I prefer them to the smaller original Jazz III size, because I do a lot of hybrid picking, and Travis picking with flatpick and middle and ring fingers, and found the small ones not ideal for that.

dougmon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.