What is your favorite TV Jones Filtertron

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
So the pickup options are a plenty from TVJ. I was curious what everyone’s favorite filtertron pups were and why.

I’ll start. I think the new Brian Setzers are amazing. I haven’t heard the new Ray Butts yet but for me, the BS are less “twangy” than TVJ Classics and have a little more mid oomph.

I bought a Classic Plus as the bridge pickup for my G5222. More...uh...oomph than a standard Classic. Less Twang.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
So the pickup options are a plenty from TVJ. I was curious what everyone’s favorite filtertron pups were and why.

I’ll start. I think the new Brian Setzers are amazing. I haven’t heard the new Ray Butts yet but for me, the BS are less “twangy” than TVJ Classics and have a little more mid oomph.

They're all excellent imo.
Just depends on what flavour of great you prefer
My personal fav is the Classic/Classic Plus combo :)

BuddyHollywood

Synchromatic
Sep 11, 2009
Venice, CA
I just installed a Power'Tron Plus in the bridge position of my Duo Jet with a treble bleed on the individual volume so I'm able to get lower output Filtertron style sounds when I turn down the volume while getting so much extra juice on 10 that it surpasses the output of other Filtertrons. So while it may not be the "best" Filtertron style pickup for everyone, it is the most versatile for me which makes it my favorite.

KelvinS1965

Gretschie
Jan 11, 2019
Wokingham
I've only compared TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus to Gretsch Filtertrons (can't even remember exactly which model now). I swapped them over in my G5622T and then put the Gretsch Filtertrons back in. The G5622T came with some other pickups which I stupidly swapped out (and destroyed in the process as I needed some parts so I could fit the Gretsch ones).

I recently put the TV Jones Classic/Classic plus in my Cabronita build, which only has a 500K volume pot and no tone: I can engage some capacitors by pulling up on the volume knob for a 'fixed' tone effect, as per the Custom Shop Fender version. I need to change the caps on the bridge pickup though as they make it sound too 'honky' for want of a better word. I love how the Classics sound into my Marshall amps, haven't got round to trying this guitar into my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb yet though.

Pictures? Of course:
Finished 3 small.jpg

cvr31

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2013
just south of sanity
I've only tried the Classic and the Ray Butts. Classics are the louder of the two, with a more focused sound. The Ray Butts are lower output, but with a sweeter (to me), more open sound. I like them both equally for different reasons. I will likely play the Classics live, and likely play the Ray Butts in the recording studio.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Duo-Trons (a combo of Supertrons & Classics), Setzer Sigs and T-Armonds. I have one guitar with T-90s which sound awesome but tend to be a one-trick pony (but oh what a trick!!)

Outlaw

Country Gent
Jul 13, 2011
UK
Is 'sans wax' really 'sans wax' or just a short bath info the wax's pot ?
Not 100% sure what you meant but I remove the pickup covers a then give the pups the hair dryer treatment followed by a couple of hours in the naphia.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia

Having tried most of em my personal fav's are

1) Classic/Classic Plus combo
2) Setzer sigs
3) Gretsch HS Filtertrons
4) Classic/Classic
5) Powertrons