What is this little black thing called?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YaDaddy, Sep 16, 2020.

1. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    A stack of 3 or 4 small faucet washers could do the job, but your bag of tricks looks up to the task.

2. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    “You are contivo court composer.”

Check the following posts.

3. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yesterday I got into the sorting of my Ace hog wild haul of nylon spacers and I narrowed it down to the ones pictured below.
    Yeah I hate to go to Ace and use my check guard to buy less than dollar’s worth of stuff. I also hate going back repeatedly to solve a problem. It was a last minute “oh hey I’m close to Ace hardware” visit and I didn’t have the screw with me. I considered it an $11 donation to support a realish hardware store. My Ace is far too clean and organized to be considered a real hardware store. No old hound dog sitting in a corner and no ceiling fans blowing around that hardware store smell.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yesterday I got into the sorting of my Ace whole hog haul of nylon spacers and I narrowed it down to the ones pictured below.

12B90ECF-7CC0-46FD-B407-A6D1DF8EAB3A.jpeg

They are surprisingly easy to cut with an exacto knife, but hard to cut square, at least free hand like I was. After goofing around and screwing up the other ones by trying to cut them to size I decided to resort to the build to size with the washer approach.

7A1778B0-E57F-4169-A442-9C81B78BF4CF.jpeg

BBE34106-2905-4235-979C-D8FC13258915.jpeg

After sizing it to 3 or 4 washers I dabbed a little superglue On the sides of the stack and after lining them up I let it set. I could have skipped the glue and removed the pickguard assembly and just turned the washers on to the screw as the internal dimension is just small enough for them to hang on to the threads. This would give you lots of options. The now assembled set of 4 washers slid under the tip of the guard and with a little pressure the screw went down and it was done.

5DEAA570-787E-419D-81D9-50235C473E36.jpeg

If I had it to do over I would’ve acquired a bag of 100 black nylon washers with an OD of 1/4” and an ID of 4/32”. (Metric is 6.5mm x 3mm)
    The whites ones I used (Ace didn’t have black) are dead on 1mm thick or just a hair over 1/32”
    Conceivably you could go thicker or thinner and it wouldn’t matter a whole lot. It’s just a matter of having the right increments to get the height you need.

“This is the way.”

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Bertotti and Gregor like this.
  5. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Looks like you nailed it! Congrats.

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I remember the hardware store when I was little, late '60s early '70s it was just like that ceiling fan, hound dog, sweaty people in and out stuff hung up or laying around everywhere, bins of bulk nails everywhere wood plank floors all scarred up! The cabinet Pepsi or Coke or Rootbeer machine where you dropped a coin in and pulled a bottle up and out! I really want to find one of those to put in my shop! Loved that place!

7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Man, I do miss old school hardware stores. Wooden floors that creaked, THAT aroma, esoteric bits and pieces high up on dusty shelves, and old guys who knew how to fix anything and everything. I worked a similar place while in uni---it was the only place in town where you could get a water heater, all the needed fittings and tools, overalls to wear while working, and soap to clean up with on a Sunday at 7PM. If no one else had it a part, they were the place to go to. If they didn't have it, you didn't need it.

Bertotti likes this.
  8. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Didn't do Gluck a lot of good. ;)

9. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    “Well. There it is.”

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  10. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    So this morning YouTube recommendations serveup a documentary on YouTube about the making of the movie Amadeus. The doc is subtitled in Spanish and at one point the word ‘Contigo” pops in at the bottom of the screen and I think...you know I should check if I’m saying that quote correctly. I jump on the web and find the screenplay and sure enough...I’ve been saying it wrong all these years. It’s not contivo, it’s cattivo. Of course, I don’t know what’s more sad...that or the fact that as I’m typing this I realize that this is not the first time that I’ve realized that I’ve been saying it wrong all these years and I forgot that. That’s what’s really cool about getting older and your memory failing you. It’s like time travel and you just keep getting to enjoy the same realizations over and over again.

In my defense the word is not from my native language and I’ve been using the quote, since movie first came out in the early 80s. No Internet to check it with. Time ran out to edit it up there, so I will reiterate.

“You are cattivo, Court Composer.”

11. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    I stand connected. :p

12. roadjunkie

roadjunkie Country Gent

Jul 4, 2008
    Middletown,PA
    My niece Heather use to say every birthday and x-mas when opening presents " Oh no duct tape!"

tartanphantom likes this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Felt. It might have something to do with getting along with a lacquer finish better than other materials. IDK.

My 3 Prolines have felt washers. 2 are lacquer and one poly.

14. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Many correct terms here, yes. Grommet, spacer, standoff, pickguard front-end holder-upper... they all work. HA! It does look like just a short piece of rubber tubing... probably is. Several writers have correctly noted that some materials may discolor or affect the guitar's finish directly in contact with it, so perhaps a little research may help prevent that. I have a '66 Ric 360-12 on which many years ago, I wished to raise the pickups a bit. Those are mounted directly to the body, spaced and isolated by small black rubber grommets, which can compress and/or harden over time. Taking a couple of the original Ric grommets with me, I found my best solution in the plumbing dept at Home Depot. Got a couple bags of 'em for a couple bucks and they've been perfect. I keep the spares in the case accessory compartment. Also have a Ric 4001 bass, and the same grommets are used in several places on that, as well. Beautiful instruments, beautifully made, but it doesn't always mean they don't (or shouldn't) outsource some of their basic non-factory-made materials from lowest-cost providers!

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    you can also take the bigsby condom and shove it under there, at least it wouldnt be hangin off the tip of the wangy doodle :)

16. beep.click

beep.click Country Gent

Apr 30, 2009
    California
    The technical name for this part is “zlimwich.” I know because I just made it up.

17. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I Googled "Gretsch parts", came up with a bunch of links and the one link I opened looks to be part of a good day's resrarch...but, yeah, anything that takes up space (a spacer, indeed) will work. If you play it in a band, especially in a bar...who looks beyond the hotty?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.