What is the worst song that ever made #1

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pilgrim, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    In the UK it's not easy... We have a history of buying cheesy crap!

But this makes my number one for worst number one in history!

All those from outside Britain meet Mr Blobby and... I'm sorry you have to see this! :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37KQu64RY4&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37KQu64RY4&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

2. Fallen Saint

Fallen Saint Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    "You light up my life" - Debbie Boone

3. foppy

foppy Electromatic

Feb 15, 2010
    Boston suburb
    I take exception to much of this thread.

But I really won't sit idly by while somebody bad-mouths Leslie Gore. Her one #1 (according to Wikipedia) is "It's My Party" which is the greatest ill-tempered teenage girl song in history.

And then there's "You Don't Own Me" at #2, which is a teenage-feminist anthem if I ever heard one. And of course there are the many wonderful coded lesbian messages scattered throughout her oeuvre.

Lay off LG!

4. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Anything by Slipknot

Big Ron

5. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    Don't be hating on Mary Weiss, the original rock and roll bad girl.

6. LittleRedRooster

LittleRedRooster Synchromatic

Dec 10, 2009
    Falls Church VA
    +1 on Lesley Gore

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Ok I'll bite. "My Diing A Ling" by Chuck Berry.

Why is it the worst?

This guy was one of the originators of rock and roll, an influence to The Beatles, Rolling Stones and a host of other students of rock and this was his only hit (#1 in 1972 on the US charts). This vacuous piece of crap surrounds a very childish double entendre, wrapped in a meleody one would find in an episode of Barney or New Zoo Review.

In the words of Orson Welles, "Meaningless, unrewarding."

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    You do know that was an invention of Shadow Morton, right?

9. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    And those hits were produced by Quincy Jones. Not a slouch in the arrangement department. Go back and listen.

10. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    Actually the song I was gonna see if anyone would bring up was MacArthur Park by Jim Webb, put out first by Richard Harris, but was the only Grammy Waylon ever won.
    For ONE week the disco version by Donna Summers was #1. That was the worst!
    By the way Richard Harris's version lasted 7:22, it got air play because Hey Jude went over 7 min., kinda breaking the 3:14 rule on pop radio.

11. Buxbaum666

Buxbaum666 Gretschie

May 18, 2010
    Germany
    I don't care about chart positions. It has rarely to do with the quality, it's all about marketing. It's been revealed several times that producers hired people to bulk-buy the records of their protégés in order to boost sales numbers and I wonder how often this practice goes unnoticed.
    My least favourite Beatles album is the superfluous compilation of #1 songs. These songs are also the reason for quite some people to dismiss the band completely.

Yes, well, I've long come to the conclusion that most people like crap.* :D Also: read above.

I actually don't know the original but I love the Raveonettes' version.

*Do I feel superior? Yes. I'm sure I like some crap, too, but that's okay because it's awesome crap. :D But seriously, radio stations get away with rotating the same 20-ish songs every day, over and over... and they stay in business so people have to like it. Hence: people like crap. Quod erat demonstrandum.

12. vjf1968

vjf1968 Former Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    What makes it the "worst song" though?

For me it is the overblown arrangement and the length. It is bascially like driving a car from point A to B. Only, your in a traffic jam and you can see your destination but you can't get to it.

It also got airplay becuase Jimmy Webb was riding high at the time with Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix".
    The 5th Dimension with "Up, Up And Away", "Magic Garden", "Paper Cup" and "Carpet Man". Johnny Maestro & The Brooklyn Bridge "Worst That Could Happen". And slew of other hits. He was basically a one man Lennon/McCartney. So anything with the Webb name would get airplay.

Side note. "MacArthur Park" was written by Webb for The Association when he was comissioned by the band to write them some material. They rejected it.

13. megabutter

megabutter Country Gent

Mar 22, 2010
    California
    I'm not sure about number one, but I'm pretty sure this is just the worst song ever made. ...ever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhq7fidBd4"]YouTube - School Gyrls "Going To The Mall" music video[/ame]

LOL, it makes me laugh to torture you guys with this. :D:D

14. mshehan

mshehan Electromatic

Aug 20, 2010
    SW Iowa
    "Don't Worry, Be Happy" - Bobby McFerrin - It's ironic that a song that was probably intended to make someone happy has the exact opposite effect on me. hmm - maybe it's me

15. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    LittleRedRooster, Frankly, I don't see why you'd call Mary Weiss "the original rock and roll bad girl."

In the song 'Leader of the Pack,' she immediately abandons her boyfriend when Daddy tells her to 'find someone new,' so she couldn't have Really Loved him in the first place. If exemplifying slutty sleaziness is what you mean by 'bad girl,' I'd go along with that, but that doesn't endear me to the song, or to her, in the slightest. This stuff was clearly understood and talked about by many Rock'n'Rollers of the Day.

Exemplifying the appropriate form of Rock'n'Roll 'badness' was The Crystals's 'He's a Rebel' (written by Gene Pitney), from about a year-and-a-half earlier. This song was much more running against the grain of the strong anti-Rock'n'Roll forces of the time. The message here is to stick to True Love, even when it's against the opinions of others (including Daddy!*). 'Leader of the Pack' was very much the opposite! - Sticking to True Love was the Real Hard Core message of Rock'n'Roll, the spontaneious deepest desires of the emerging youth.

He's a Rebel

See the way he walks down the street
    Watch the way he shuffles his feet
    My, he holds his head up high
    When he goes walking by
    He's my guy

When he holds my hand, I'm so proud
    'Cause he's not just one of the crowd
    My baby's always the one
    To try the things they've never done
    And just because of that, they say

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
    He's a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should
    But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does,
    That's no reason why I can't give him all my love
    He's always good to me,
    Always treats me tenderly
    'Cause he's not a rebel, oh no no no
    He's not a rebel, oh no no no, to me

If they don't like him that way,
    They won't like me after today
    And I'll be standing right by his side when they say

He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
    He's a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should
    But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does,
    That's no reason why we can't share a love
    He's always good to me
    Good to him, I try to be
    'Cause he's not a rebel, oh no no no
    He's not a rebel, oh no no no, to me
    Oh! (He's not a rebel, oh no no no)

Tom - Stingker

* Check the words to Sue Thompson's 'James - Hold the Ladder Steady' - which also pre-dated 'Leader of the Pack,' - by about two years.

Similarly, Here's Del Shannon's Keep Searchin'

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  16. stixthedrummer

stixthedrummer Electromatic

Feb 5, 2011
    hannibal, mo

This has to be a close second...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0"]YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)[/ame]

17. Raspy

Raspy Country Gent

Jun 7, 2008
    extreme no. ca.
    Anything disco.

=====================

<><> Raspy <><>

18. mikante

mikante Country Gent

Aug 11, 2009
    italy
    anything that goes on mtv!

19. Raconteur

Raconteur Gretschie

Nov 12, 2010
    Utah, USA
    OH MY GOSH... My cousin posted that on facebook the other day. I honestly couldn't tell if it was a joke making fun of todays music or if she was serious. It's totally serious!! How can ANYone consider this crap to be MUSIC?! My five year old could be a better lyricist!!

20. chilton

chilton Gretschie

Nov 2, 2010
    Finland
    Here's some food for thought for those of you who hate everything on MTV, or, for that matter, Rebecca Black's Friday.

A couple of years ago I got the chance to do an interview with a very successful songwriter.
    He had been through hard times a a working musician, with a solo career that went nowhere, cover bands, total disillusion with the music biz. I'm sure some of you have been there. I know I have.
    When he turned 30 he quit playing and went back to school.

Then, fast forward through a series of fairy tale-like coincidences, he got to work with some of the biggest pop songwriters/producers of the day, getting a writing credit on Britney Spears' first album and then going on to ever bigger success.

None of the million selling pop records that he's written or co-written mean anything to us here at Gretsch Talk because we don't listen to that type of music. So you could say he's the enemy, working for the suits.
    But here's the thing - five minutes after I met him I could tell he was just like you and me. He was always in it for the music. Writing chart pop for others finally gave him the satisfaction and financial security that his own music couldn't provide.

Now anytime I hear one of his songs, no matter how calculated and mechanical it sounds, it gives me a good feeling.
    Would I buy any of those songs? No.
    Would I do what he did, given the chance? Hell yes.
    I think you would too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.