What is it with TV these days?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by YaDaddy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Theater is Life
    Film is Art
    Television is Furniture

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  2. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    OK, sounds like it's man cave time. Cede the living room, make your own 'no kids' space. Or this is going to last another 15 years.

Sadly, this is a horribly out of date statement. Movies, unless you like teen horror or superheroes, are pretty nowhere right now. All those 'grown-up' stories have headed to TV, mostly through streaming services in limited series style.

Duo Slinger, wabash slim and Henry like this.
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I don't know if this works any more, but when I traveled internationally, I would download movies to my phone at home, and also while abroad. I would be able to watch the US downloads, even if not available where I am traveling, by forcing Netflix to stop / close, turning on "airplane" mode, then re-starting up Netflix - it won't know where you are. Once I start the US video, I could turn off airplane mode.

Once I got home, I could do the same with the downloads from abroad.

This of course only works until the download expires and requires a "check in" in the appropriate jurisdiction.

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Still seems like a bit of a hassle. For reasons like this, if there's a movie I really like, I still like to buy the movie on blu-ray (or DVD if a blu-ray is not available). I can then rip it myself and make a video file I can play anywhere and any time I want.

Henry likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It may be but it takes about 30 seconds per view and costs nothing.

It would take me a lot more time to buy and rip a DVD, and certainly more money, and I rarely buy movies.

6. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    As a youth, the can’t - miss serials for me, my brother and sister were :

“The Rifleman”. Great themes in these morality plays: good vs. evil; betrayal, and spiritual and physical courage.

“Leave it to Beaver”: A coming of age it’s- hard - being-a kid series that chronicled the awkwardness and insecurity, and the delight and disappointment of growing up. The rewards and the development of friendship was always fun to see, and learning to be responsible for your actions seemed to bookend most of the episodes.

A little later, we watched the hipster/ cops that were cool and tough when it counted. “The Mod Squad” was a crossover squad: Pete, Linc, and Julie were both the establishment, and outsiders , at the same time. They worked for The Man, but exercised their independence, and individuality, while managing to do good deeds for The People. The presentation of two contradictory ideas was a mighty paradox for young minds.

new6659 likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Which service do you use?

8. hawiian2

hawiian2 Gretschie

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    Well Right now I am sitting downstairs in my own private man cave. I am eating Pizza (The works) watching 2 and a half men on my 65" Toshiba. I am also surrounded by 16 of the guitars I have (I keep the rest upstairs) I ve got 3 amps down here, a bathroom with a pot, shower and sink.
    drinking a Dr. Pepper after a 14 hour day at my job where i have been for the last 37 years.
    The funny part of this is, I am afraid to say where I work ...

9. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Bring back The Twilight Zone!
    Twilight-zone-logo.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  10. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I don't know ... I've seen some great films lately.

Kodachrome and The Florida Project come to mind. Oh, and Mudbound was incredible.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    They did once in the '90s, all new shows, and the Grateful Dead did the theme music.

audept likes this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I pretty much stopped watching television about ten years ago. No matter how high I turned up the "brightness" knob, nothing happened.

Ricochet, wabash slim and new6659 like this.
  13. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I hear you on TV, very few things I watch anymore. The last series I watched was on Starz, it was "Black Sails", a series that was supposed to blossom into Treasure Island. So it was a Pirates of the Caribbean only not as stupid as the Johnny Depp/Captain Sparrow thing. They ended the series a season short, everyone was watching other historical fiction series though.

14. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I tried that when I was a kid. I couldn’t get away with it and neither did my kids.

15. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Let me think for a minute. Big TV or big amp? When I was 11 we had an 11 inch portable TV from Montgomery Wards. One night I stayed up till 11:00 pm watching the Marx Brothers. It's been downhill since.

16. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    There will be 500 episodes of any given TV show. I watch one of them but for some reason no more. Then 2 years later I'll see that show is on TV and think 'Ah yeah, I liked that when I watched it that one time, I'll watch another.' And the episode that comes on is the same one I watched before.

Rmccamey likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    TV used to be furniture. Fancy wooden cabinets, stereo hi=fi on the side, real classy. Not any more. Now, they're black panels bolted to the wall. Screens have gotten far larger thankfully. Our first TV had a 5" screen. I was happy with a 13" for years. Our Chicago made Zenith lasted us over 15 years.

When I was 7, one Friday night, after our usual trek to the local bar for the fish fry (Polish tradition, apparently) and after the Friday Night Fights, my Dad said, "You get to stay up late tonight. There's something special on TV." He and I sat up laughing our dupas off watching "Animal Crackers". Been a Groucho fan ever since. Watched his game show, and all of his movies. That's where I got my love of wordplay.

Rmccamey and lathoto like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    We watched them lot also.

19. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Today, Howdy be wearing that dew rag on his head faster than Keith Richards & a tube top.

20. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Wall mount that Marantz or Curtis-Mathes a little higher.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.