What is it with TV these days?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by YaDaddy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I am the best you can get
    Have you guessed me yet?
    I am the slime oozin' out
    From your TV set

~ Frank Zappa

2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Until he explained it, I thought the first pic was a Poltergeist movie reenactment.
    poltergeist.jpg

r0de0 and MrWookiee like this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Maybe get a small red throw rug for the floor in front of the TV and teach the game of HOT LAVA! Keep off the rug.

we get a couple of OTA stations that seem to stay on most of the time for good old reruns MeTV and HandI. My kids actually enjoy MASH, Hogans Heros, MacGyver, and Star Trek, Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle, and Green Acres, Monk, Greatest American Hero...

Randy99CL likes this.
  4. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have access to 300+ channels, but it never fails that I sit down for a minute to catch the news, and all 300+ channels are nothing but commercials.

wabash slim and MrWookiee like this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    That Hot Lava rug idea is brilliant!!

When I did have cable 3o+ years ago I spent a lot of time with nothing interesting to watch so quit the $100 per month bill. How much have I saved in 30 years??? Enough to buy a new car, even at today's prices.

I am lucky to get local H&I (Heroes and Icons) channel. All the Star Trek series, in order from 6pm to 11pm 6 nights a week have been on for more than a year. I've gotten to see every episode in every series, many I had missed. They had carried NYPD Blue for a couple of years and I saw every one more than once. Great show.
    When I first moved here 6 years ago the Drew Carey Show was on often and I've probably seen every one of those. Love that show, especially with Joe Walsh.

I would like to see some of the series I've missed, like GOT, but eventually I'll get to watch them on disc for free from the local library. That's how I watched Breaking Bad, on DVD from the library.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  6. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Streaming services often drop content or change things after a while though. One time I was watching a series on Amazon Prime that was included free with Amazon Prime, and then suddenly they started charging extra for that show. Some shows get dropped altogether, and sometimes are carried in one country but not another. So you still might not be able to watch what you want on streaming services.

*cough*BitTorrent*cough*Plex*cough*...

Runamok likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    "You make a better door than you do a window"

Sabato likes this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, I've seen things go, but generally speaking there's warning when that's coming and if it's something I'm interested in, can squeeze it in before it goes.
    As for the country restrictions... I have a VPN and I know how to use it. ;)

9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I've heard Netflix has started cracking down on VPN use. Apparently they can detect if you're using a VPN and get your real location. Other services might start doing that as well.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Bummer, is it legal to bind services to geo location instead of an apparatus?
    I have Netflix here, but when I’m over in SEA I would (need to) use VPN to get access.

As to the original question. These days? It’s been this way since the TV’s inception. The illusion of reality is just getting bigger in size. The Romans said give them bread and circuses. Might as well been bread and TV.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    It depends on your VPN. I was able to watch Season 5 of Better Call Saul already by spoofing a UK IP address.

12. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah there’s a much taller 7 year old that does this too and sometimes they pair up. I’d have to put the TV close to the ceiling to make it worth the effort. LOL

13. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Gave up on that one too, it only hurts me. “YaDaddy Jr.” will continue to stare at the reflection on the dark screen. Last night we had an internet interruption and the Apple TV just had a spinning series of dots on a black background. After about a minute I had to ask the two little addicts: “Are you aware that you’re just watching dots go in a circle?”

new6659 likes this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Network TV these days is awful and cable isn't much better.
    I don't watch TV much these days and most of my life I played live and was never home to watch it anyway.
    These days if I do watch it I watch reruns of old shows.
    Hollywood has an agenda and it doesn't appeal to me.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  15. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    I miss the Grand Ole Oprey. Cliffy Stone Show. I liked the music of the old shows, not just "cowboy music" as my Dad called it but all the genre, blues, jazz you name it. I like music.
    In the 50's we also had some of the best cartoon shows, Disneyland and cowboy shows.

16. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm gonna be like that kid and glued to the screen as soon as the first episode of the new Punky Brewster comes out!!!

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Without cable here, we get two stations that are competing to see which one can be worse.
    Going to streaming services is getting nearly as expensive as cable. Having to pay for a monthly streaming service just to get one show is useless. Cable would be fine if I only paid for the things I watch. I don't need any sports, two thirds of the news/opinion networks, 24 hour commercials, game shows, soap operas, sleaze dating shows, millionaire TV preachers, aliens, Nat'l. Geo's prison stories, survival of the naked, or most home repair shows. 67 channels and there's nothing on, indeed. Stations rerun the same movies over and over and over, and the movies I want I can't find online. I can access any news I need online, and there is a lot of content available there as well, but it's not nearly everything I'd like to watch. As I'm housebound, I watch a lot of TV. That and the internet are my connections to the outside world. I'm stuck with what's there.

Regular network broadcast programming has gone downhill. I want news, not opinions. I'll make up my own mind, thank you. We don't have anyone left like Walter Cronkite or Tom Brokaw these days. Instead of decent comedies or dramas, it's gone to generic talent shows, and things like the Masked Dancer. They're all made to feature a C level star and contestants, all at the fraction of the price of a quality program; and the programs they do run are copies of what's gone before. It's all formulaic, copycat, unoriginal vestiges of what once was. Thankfully, I've got a fairly decent sized collection of DVDs to pick from.

lathoto, new6659 and MotorCentaur like this.
  18. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    YD,

Ya...Howdy Doody's not on any more...I wondered why...then I looked in the mirror.

BIB.

Howdy Doody.jpg

PlumaBlanca likes this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I gave up on TV, when I established my own household. I was married to someone that insisted on having cable, so I was exposed to it for a while, but I haven’t watched broadcast, cable or sat TV in a very long time.

The problem is that in order to fill 24 hours a day, and compete with other channels, it’s necessary to produce a lot of content. Content is advertiser driven and there is no ethical standard for quality. Face it, if they thought that people would watch, they’d have a channel devoted to pouring urine out of a bucket.

The same thing is happening to YouTube, BTW. I’ve seen channels start out good, then deteriorate into making videos that aren’t worth watching, because they have to keep pumping out the content, or risk losing viewers.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  20. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Long time ago got tired of paying kings ransom every month for the crap content the cable providers dish out. For several years went without TV not even OTA. Then I got into Android streaming TV. The service I use now has access to damn near 8000 channels and it costs about 10 bucks a month. It has a big selection of 24/7 channels, some of my favs are 24/7 Clint Eastwood movies, 24/7 Fawlty Towers, 24/7 Home Improvement, and others.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.