What is it about the music that makes us smile ..........

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jan 15, 2022 at 7:43 AM.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So I just finished watching this video that @loudnlousy posted . I noticed how all the musicians in the video were always smiling ....until the end .... when the song was over . I don't know what it is about playing music , but I smile too :) , or at least feel so good about myself when I play . Watch the video again ... maybe it will bring a smile to you . Thanks @loudnlousy .
    So whats your answer to the title of this thread gang ?????

LeSainte, mrfixitmi and loudnlousy like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Making music on a level that does not demand massive concentration anymore is a very relaxing experience. It literally makes you smile when everything feels and sounds great.
    My biggest "smile-moments" are usually when we are jamming for hours being totally connected and the good vibes are all around us.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 8:38 AM
    NJDevil, Duo Slinger, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  3. KaHOnas

KaHOnas Electromatic

Oh jeez. Where to begin.

Playing alone, it's finding that tone or note that hits my soul just right.

Playing with others, when they're all feeling that note as well and everything builds perfectly off it.

I remember seeing a band open for John 5 a few months back. Jared James Nichols. August 25, 2021, to be precise. They were having fun. The bassist on stage right was smiling the entire show.

Trying to find a video...

Edit: ugh... YouTube is such a mess...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 9:21 AM
    mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I've always said ....." music ...it's part of my soul "

5. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    "When it's right it can turn goat p*ss into gasoline."---Duck Dunn

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast."

Music not only makes me smile, it can bring me to tears. I get cold chills and goose bumps from some songs. Some can put you into the deepest funk, others can make your spirit soar. The one constant is that everyone has some music that speaks to them, good or bad, happy or sad. And, if it doesn't, I feel sorry for you.

mrfixitmi, Duo Slinger and loudnlousy like this.
  6. I probably dont smile enough when i play. I tend to look very focused, which i know is not very rock n roll stage like. I do tend to smile more when i make mistakes playing out. Which is a more recent thing. In the past my serious focused look would turn into the I can’t believe we did that look. So i am making progress.

mrfixitmi and Duo Slinger like this.
  7. Like babies—Is it the GAS?

You can relate viscerally.
    A 3 minute emotion. (5:27 in this case).

I don’t think I smile.

thunder58 likes this.
  8. kdm1218

kdm1218 Electromatic

Jun 17, 2021
    TX
    What about music makes me smile?

-Always more to learn and explore
    -Fun to get in the groove with my band, especially in the spontaneous/jam times. And when you play something that you just really dig or impress yourself that you pulled it off.
    -Decompressing mentally and emotionally while my toddler is napping

thunder58 likes this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That’s what the people need!
    “…It ain’t so hard to do if you know how…”

“…people laughing really smiling, a man playing guitar…”

thunder58 likes this.
  10. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

There is definitely something to smile about when you are hitting on all cylinders and the crowd is responding (even if that's just family).

11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I have noticed that after I tune my guitar and just make a casual first single strum across all the strings, I always pause and smile and let it ring out. The sound is so satisfying, especially when it is one of my hollowbody Gretschs or a Dreadnought.

12. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    When I practice, or when I perform, I have an intensely deadpan face, because I'm concentrating and all I'm thinking about is the music, and that's what happens often when I'm playing in front of others. But sometimes... I don't know what it is, but I dig into something, start hitting the strings really hard and I just start smiling. It's kinda magical. Sometimes when I'm playing something harder or impressive looking in front of others, I start grinning like "yeah... I'm doing this... it's fun as hell"... Especially if I get a decent response.

13. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Sums it up for me and gives a reason we smile.
    music washes away from the soul, the dust of every day life, and says to each one; ‘thou art now no longer in thine office, or in the barracks, or in thy workshop’.
    Berthold Auerbach 1864

Now the business side of playing music....many a frown

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022 at 6:09 PM
    thunder58, new6659, section2 and 3 others like this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    The foundation of "the smile" is a combination of loving music and then creating it.

I do smile at times playing live and seeing the audience positively react....especially when the song as some "jump" to it and bit of dancing and shuffling is out there.

At home and creating and practicing and really enjoying myself......I don't smile but I feel such a warm sense of accomplishment, fun and peace. All worries are taken away and life is good. Music satisfies the soul and creating it expands on this. This level just feels warm, peaceful and valuable.

15. L Robbins

L Robbins Gretschie

May 3, 2017
    USA
    When I listen to myself play there is nothing to smile about.... but, then again I don't play for pleasure or money. I play for spite! :rolleyes:

16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Love the posts, music always takes me to that happy, satisfied, place.

thunder58, new6659 and section2 like this.
  17. You know I’m gonna steal that. :)

L Robbins and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.