What in your opinion is the worst song ever written?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gold Penguin, Apr 15, 2021.

1. BrPhil

BrPhil Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    Cincinnati, OH
    That was my pick, but glad you already made that choice.

Xochi2 and Robbie like this.
  2. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Just looking at this thing gave me Vietnam flashbacks, and I wasn't even alive back then!

MotorCentaur and Landshark2020 like this.
  3. BrPhil

BrPhil Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    Cincinnati, OH
    Looks like Yummy, Yummy, Yummy got the most mentions so far. It's not the lyrics are so inane, but the track is sung is such a self-depricating style as if reading the words were nauseating enough. Now strange enough, Artie Resnick, one of the co-writers, is also responsible for "Under the Boardwalk" and "Good Lovin'". Go Figure! However, Joey Levine, the partner in this musical conspiracy is a Schlock Pop, Bubble Gum music guru and composer of popular advertising jingles such as "The Bud's for You!" Another ear worm composer-genius.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  4. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

"I love Rock 'n' Roll"; the Joan Jett version. That absolutely SUCKS!

5. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

"Hotel California" was pretty good at first, but like so many others (Stairway, Free Bird, Won't get fooled again), it's been waaay overplayed...

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. afire

afire Country Gent

I was listening to an interview with veteran rock journalist Lisa Robinson and she was saying that of all the acts she's spent time with over 40 years, Tears for Fears was the only band she simply disliked. A bunch of jerks, I guess.

I've heard that sax riff a million times in isolation, but wasn't actually familiar with the whole song. I heard it for the first time (that I can recall) last summer and was amused to no end that that sax break was married to such a pathetic meek vocal. What a mismatch.

[​IMG]

stevo and MotorCentaur like this.
  7. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I can't give one song that dubious distinction.

8. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I don't mind Sugar Sugar. It's cute, it's kind of catchy and hell, Andy Kim follows me on Twitter. I have no idea why. I haven't released anything in years. No idea how he even found me but Sugar Sugar is ok in my books.

Louie Louie on the other hand... ugh.

CaliforniaSlim and MotorCentaur like this.
  9. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    Rockin' Robin by The Jackson 5, e.g. Michael Jackson. I used to punch in 5 plays on the Jukebox at Shakey's Pizza Parlor just before leaving!

10. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    A buddy and I used to do the same thing with the extended version of "I Love a Rainy Night"!

Gold Penguin and azrielle like this.
  11. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    Most of the songs listed herein as worst are among my favorites, almost worthy of a compilation MP3! The following are some of the most ANNOYING songs to me:
    Rockin' Robin, Ring My Bell, Colorado Sunrise (3Oh!3), Slowly Turning Into You (White Stripes), The Hustle, One Tin Soldier, practically anything by Sly & the Family Stone.

CaliforniaSlim and Gold Penguin like this.
  12. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Cherokee Nation,,, :mad::(:(;):(:(:confused:

13. Greenman Wood

Greenman Wood Electromatic

Jul 27, 2020
    Noo Yawk
    "Hot Blooded" by Foreigner. The cheesiest, pseudo-macho, utterly lameass drivel ever committed to tape.

Gold Penguin and gtttrrr like this.
  14. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    Wow! You guys are just scratching the surface here. Most of these songs I wouldn't even categorize as "Bad" -- they are more "Meh!" or "Frickin' Irritating!"

If you want to plumb the depths of Badness you have to take a trip across the pond and sample some Surrender Monkey music.

15. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I might end up getting banned for posting this song.... :p

A seriously annoying disco group, who everyone quickly learned were all a bunch of "pickle puffers":

16. afire

afire Country Gent

Oh, that's a great call. That song makes me want to stab my ears with a rusty icepick.

gtttrrr likes this.
  17. Joe90

Joe90 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Canada
    I kind of like Michael Doucet and Cajun Brew's version.

18. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Kara for Kids is horrible and it’s on Fox News Sirius about every 5 minutes along with Patriot Software but John Basedows Fitness Made Simple still is worse.

19. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Being from the Boston Area, the Bird runs in our blood. Larry is King well Prince now that TB12 took over and our favorite Rhode Islander "Peter" kills it often.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  20. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Hands down it has to be “Life” by Des’Ree ... featuring weighty lyrics examining important social issues, such as:

I don't want to see a ghost,
    It's a sight that I fear most
    I'd rather have a piece of toast

And who can forget the emotionally charged Chorus refrain:

Life, oh life, oh life, oh life,
    Doo, doot doot dooo.

The fact that this song exists (and someone got paid to record it!) genuinely makes me angry.

new6659 and MrWookiee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.