What guitars have you " never " played ?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by thunder58, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I know I know, but hey they are on the list of 'want to' play at least and if I was in the market for a new high end acoustic that's were I would be.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

I suppose there are countless guitars I've never played. I'd love to try a Wandre on for size just to know what they feel like. But I'll stick to the major, readily available models.

Never played any of the offbeat Gibsons like an Explorer, Flying V, Firebird. There are tons of classic Gibson hollowbodies that I've never played because I've never had a chance to come across them. I think I've played most core Fenders, Gretsches, and Rickenbackers. There are a lot of classic Guilds that I've never played. In fact, the only one I really ever had is a '61 T-100D that I owned. I'd love to try an original Aristocrat or DeArmond Starfire III.

GlenP likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    In this case, it is easier to say which I have played. I have played Strats, American, Mexican, and Japanese. Own a MIM and CIJ, Gretsch Penguin acoustic and electric, Minarick Lotus, Ibanez AG75, Played an LTD that looked kind of like an LP, Martin, Taylor, a couple of other acoustic I don't remember and that's it. Literally could probably count on both hands the guitars I have played and they all fit into the names I mentioned except a couple of unknown or locally built acoustic.

oops I forgot one, my first was a plastic dime-store special and my second was a Sears SG knock-off.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  4. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I worked in a couple of big guitar shops for an 18 year span and I can’t (with any real level of confidence) name a guitar that I haven’t at least strummed a few chords on at some point.

5. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    You probably believe Johnny Cash hasn’t been everywhere man.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Excalibur from Wayne’s World, I just have to “live in the now.”

7. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Vinnie Vincent Jackson or Kramer Grim Reaper but would buy one in a heartbeat just to say I had one!

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My problem is that I find something to like about every guitar I touch, then I want to keep it. I've bought too many already.

I've only strummed one acoustic, I ordered a cheap one at a sale price that I couldn't resist but the neck was twisted so badly that it was comical. I can't imagine how that thing got so messed up, it is like they built it with wet wood and in the dry air here it had no chance. Returned it.
    I'm just not interested in owning an acoustic guitar. I guess that bad experience with a cheap import 50 years ago left a scar, LOL. I don't plan to sit around a campfire anytime soon (joking!) and my G5129 and G2622s sound great unplugged here in my living room. If I ever need one I'll buy one.

I've never touched any Gretsch solidbody or PRS or Ric or any brand shredder or unusual-shaped guitar.
    I own 10 brands and have only tried a few more so there are like a million I've not touched.

9. JBacklund

JBacklund Gretschie

I've never played a Stratocaster, SG, or a Less Paul, either original or clone.

If course there are many, many....many guitar models and brands that I've never played, but those three major types are what really surprises people.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. Winkels

Winkels Electromatic

Jun 23, 2018
    Canada
    I've never played the pointy headstock '80s style guitars (Jackson, Kramer, Charvel, et al) or anything with a Floyd Rose. It was the complete antithesis of what I was into back-in-the-day, and picking one of now would be like forcing my lumpy potato of a torso into a pair of leather trousers.

11. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    From NYC 48th St. back in the 70s to Guitar Showcase in SJ CA to the various GCs and mom/pop stores around the country and music shoppes around the world that I've visited, I think I've tried 'em all at one time or another...

...well except for a Doug Irwin that is.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Now there's a guitar I never played ..... a Backlund Guitar

JBacklund likes this.
  13. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Electromatic

May 16, 2011
    Ohio
    I have never played any metal genre guitars of any stripe (Ibanez, ESP, etc.). No PRS, Mosrite (I don't think), Steinberger, Deusenberg, D'Angelico, D'Aquisto, and a bunch of other brands I can't think of.
    I have played and owned the following: Telecasters (including a B bender), Stratocasters, LPs, ES 335, ES 339, LP Jr., Melody Makers, Chandler baritone, various lap steels, Gretsch hollowbody electric, Gretsch Duo Jet (Japanese), Reverend Flatroc, Eastman jazz guitars, Gibson J45s, Yamaha D15 acoustic, Framus acoustic, Hofner Club bass, resonator guitar with steel body, mandolin, Gold Tone square neck resonator.
    One I have played briefly but never owned but always wanted was a Rickenbacker. Still get the itch now and then for a Ric. But I think I am done buying at this point. All future guitar ventures should be sales.

14. JBacklund

JBacklund Gretschie

I've never played a few of them either.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    JeffreyLeePierre and thunder58 like this.
  15. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    I've had alot of guitars through the years including a Rickenbacker 6 string but I've always wanted to play A Rickenbacker 12 string and never have had the chance.

16. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    A Gibson Corvus, it was a hideous looking guitar.
    Looked like some kinda big ugly can opener. Screenshot_20210423-143444.jpg

17. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    I wouldn't mind spending some decent time on a Ricky 4003 Bass & a Spector Euro 4 string. ... thats Bass wise.

Wouldn't mind trying a Centre block Falcon or Junior Falcon.

Still looking for my dream Tele thinline with all my fave features.... i'd say it will need to be a Custom build.....

I have gassed over the first edition HS Anderson Prince styled Tele forever.....
    If l had to choose one guitar to try ; it would be one of those.

18. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    So you've played a Kramer Grim Reaper? I'm impressed!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.