What guitar is still needed to comfy?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by loudnlousy, Jun 24, 2020.

1. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    That's gorgeous! I never realized they were neck through.

AMP360, it is not a neck through. It is a set neck. If you look at the pick of the back and neck you can see the joint where they come together.

Jim SANY0005.JPG

amp360 and loudnlousy like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Today's comfort.

20200527_161248.jpg 20191015_152307.jpg

This Bird and I have had our struggles together. Love it, but kept struggling with it, trying to get the strings to feel just right.

I started with 11's, and went to 10's, but it still just wasn't quite "there."

I refused to go any lighter. Yep, I'm old and stubborn.

I'll come clean. I finally and stubbornly put on a set of XL120's, 9-42's.

Bingo. I've never been happier with it, and it ain't going nowhere. I know, I'm a stubborn old fool, but with a big grin.

Feels and plays perfect for me now.

3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Gretschie

Apr 28, 2019
    Metro Detroit
    I could get by with one electric and one acoustic if I absolutely had to. And if I were playing at home, that's likely all I'd have.

But I play a lot of different kind of music on stage and in the studio, so I have more guitars.

I have some guitars I favor for gigs and others I favor for the studio. I use various tunings and prefer to have guitars set aside for each (standard, a full step down, DADGAD, Open E, Open G, Gambale). And especially for studio work, I prefer to have various options for electrics (I have Strat, Tele, LP, hollow-body covered). And I have a couple of hybrids I use as swiss army knives on stage.

FWIW, I don't have any "holy grail" guitars that I'm pining for. By and large I see guitars as tools and if I have a guitar than covers what I need, I'm good.

loudnlousy likes this.
  4. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    All I need are guitar strings, boat paint, and this year's Pulitzer winner.

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The most I have ever had is a dozen guitars and I am down to four now. I started collecting but am not wired that way. Now I only have my 355, Panther, LP Special with P90’s and a Reverend PA-1 with P90’s. I think I’m all set for everything I play, with these four. No mistake there are lots I want to buy, like a nice Penguin.
    To avoid a long post I’ll just say I need the bond I create with a “main” player and tend to play one guitar for a long period of time and get to know its every nuance. There has been so much time spent tweaking these four guitars that now any could be my #1. Currently my old standby, 355, is ergonomically uncomfortable/painful to play due to hand and wrist tendinitis and the little LP has stepped up and I’m enjoying it a lot.

Waxhead and loudnlousy like this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I can understand your point of view. Here is mine:
    In "normal times" I have a main-band and some sideprojects. Some of them are set up to play live. Some of them are only recording-projects.
    When I am playing outside of my main band I have to deal with some very different demands on my guitarsound. (That was the reason I own a Mesa which is a super versatile amp whereas my main-amps are the trusty Reußenzehns which happen to be a one-trick-pony). So if I don`t want to lend me e.g. a Fender Strat or a Gibson solidbody for a certain job I have to have one of these in my own stable. Even if they are only played every now and then. (You can accumulate a lot of guitars because of that reason alone.)
    During the last 35 years there were so many mishaps on stage that I want to be prepared as good as I can.
    I have to admit that the frequency of live-shows went dramatically south during the last decade but
    for stage-use I still feel far more secure and comfortable when there is at least one backup of every piece of gear on board: Two identical amp-heads, two speaker-cabs, two wahs, two tuners, spare cables and two identical guitars.
    In my case I had the opportunity to even build a third guitar identical to the two others from spares just in case one of the other two gets sick and has some time off with my luthier (this used to happen at least once per year.)
    No, sadly they do not sound exactly the same but they are quite close. But they feel and weight the same so there is no problem interchanging them during a show.

If I was mainly playing live my 6119 or my Flying or any other guitar I would have to buy a spare for it and would probably sell two of my above mentioned Strats. ( In former times I would not think about selling them but today I would do it for economical reasons.)

And yes: I spend a lot of time on changing strings....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Mr Swisher and Waxhead like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok so you're prepared for almost anything - 7 guitars it is for you then :D

I'm not as picky as you.
    I take 2 guitars to gigs but actually prefer that they're both different provided both can do everything I need ok. And I like the tonal variety of 2 different guitars.

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I used to own up to 35+ of them.....Think that I am on a far modest level now.;)

Another thing that helps me feeling prepared is transporting most of my gear in flightcases.

I am that way...:rolleyes:

Waxhead likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I see what I wrote here and it is all luxury and I do not need any of them to be comfortable. I could live with just a strat or my Penguin and my 000-18GE. Or if pushed just the Little Martin. So all I need to be comfortable is two, one electric one acoustic and my triple xxx super forty amp. Push comes to shove everything else could go, but I really don’t want it to. My four electrics all sound different and all three acoustics sound quite different. Even the amps all have their own thing going. So for variety I have them. I don’t bar hop party drink much smoke etc so this is generally where any extra income goes this and tools. But like I said I could be comfortable with just two and a amp. Hell if things were real tight just the 000 and I would be quite happy. When I got it I didn’t touch an electric for three years!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    loudnlousy and G5422T like this.
  10. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Best answer to the changing strings before their time issue that I could find is playing one guitar at a time for at least a solid week. At or slightly after the 6 month mark start shopping for the sales on purchases of 6 or more sets of strings. Restringing time is a great time to check the set-up, polish frets, oil the neck and clean and polish the guitar. Repeat.

Mr Swisher and loudnlousy like this.
  11. Tomcat

Tomcat Electromatic

Jun 20, 2020
    NC
    Yeah I looove the Dove too!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.