What guitar is still needed to comfy?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by loudnlousy, Jun 24, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    After decades of owning cool stuff I ask myself what is still needed /to own to feel completely comfortable.

I have a cool Gibson V from the seventies.
    I got the coolest Gresch with my 6119 1959RI.
    I got three incredibly cool identical Super-strats for stage-use.
    And a JH Fender Signature Strat. (Nearly super great but not the absolute best option.)

I decided to look for these guitars on my to-die-for list:
    A cool vintage LP Junior. (Any vintage Junior would be o.k. with me being a single- or double-cut from the fiveties or a SG style junior from the sixties.)
    Any early Fender Esquire.
    An early 70ies lightweight Ikea Strat. (I would trade my cool Strat for that plus a little bonus.)
    And a Les Paul Custom from the late sixties would be great.
    That`s my whish-list. /Trade-list.

What is your`s?
    I feel that I am almost there. I do not need dozends of guitars anymore. Just a few. (Admittedly quite expensive ones. But I am willing to save up to them.)

Defib Tim, new6659, Henry and 3 others like this.
  2. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I’m with you @loudnlousy. That was my quest over the last eighteen months. Sold a few, even some I loved, so that I could get the ideal grouping. And it feels great. No gas. I even went to Chicago Music Exchange today and played a couple of great older telecasters....but I’m comfy. I have the ones for me.

loudnlousy and Stefan87 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I thought I would get a nice acoustic to round up the collection like a Larrivee or Dowina, but with my arm problems I'm not so sure. Besides I already have a great Larrivee L02, but it doesn't have a cutaway. :-/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    loudnlousy likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    For me the only thing I want to own to the point where I will buy is a double anniversary, it will most likely be my last guitar, unless I all of a sudden find my self with lots of sustainable disposable income but then still couldn't really justify it.

Even then I could possibly thin down what I have to 1 x hollow body, 1 x jet, my squier tele, 1 x schecter and my maton accoustic and be comfortable, I just couldn't pick what ones to get rid of.

A 6228 and a MIJ/american tele would be nice but would have to be a 'too good to pass up deal' for me to actually get them.

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    A nice Rickenbacker would give your collection some variety....

loudnlousy and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    None really. I'm still "fine tuning" on a couple that I own.

.......................Coming from the guy who considered trading the Phoenix for that beautiful Champagne Sparkle Jet. Lol

It all worked out well, and everyone is happy.

Spent most of the day playing the Phoenix, and very glad that it's still with me.

loudnlousy likes this.
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    For you: Ric w/ Hi-gains (actually their HBs sound phenomenal in the 650C to me too if you want a thicker yet still semi Ric-like sound). I'm blown away by the 330 into anything British for maximum R&R sounds so far. It's a different experience playing it than most any other guitar I've had aside from the 350V63, but it's seemed worth adapting to when I can manage it.

For me: I'm missing a comfy six string acoustic that I like the feel & sound of, but haven't taken the most active role in figuring out what I'm looking for. There's not a lot else that feels like an active acquisition target for me at the moment, but I'm sure I'll know the next one when I see it... :)

loudnlousy likes this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I’m not sure what you mean by “position cut.” However, because of arm issues, I sold some great Larrivees and bought an Alvarez AG60AR. They have a beautifully-executed beveled armrest and punch WAY above their weight: solid top (and very nice on mine), scalloped/shifted bracing, bone nut and saddle, well-made, and you can find them “open box” for not much over $300, or brand new under $400. No, they aren’t the same caliber as a Larrivee, but like I said, they are a lot more guitar than the price might suggest.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    For electrics I'm honestly leaning towards a custom build based on the 6122Jr.

I'm also gassing for a Duesenberg Slide, but I suspect it is something that may potentially sit unplayed after the honeymoon.

For acoustics, thinking about a nice parlor, maybe Maton.

TSims1 and loudnlousy like this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I don’t need much, last time I performed was about 40 yrs ago. I have more than I really need and 3 or 4 are going to go.

I will be keeping:
    Highly modded MIM Tele
    Clapton strat
    Eastman thinline
    15 yr old modded Epi Les Paul gold top 56 W/ P 90’s
    Gretsch 5420

Only addition, a quality dreadnought acoustic to replace my hand made Japanese ProLine Takamine. Very good chance it will be a Martin

11. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I need to cut way back to free up some room. So far, I traded one for a 2620T, sold four more, and bought a 6120 Smoke.

Really, the Smoke is tough to justify, but it was about as close as I could get to what I would order custom.

I still need to sell some more. Except for a few that belonged to my father, the goal is to end up with only guitars that I play often. I don’t need case queens.

12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    If your "Smoke" is as good as my -59QM, it'll be with you a long time.

I couldn't have bought a Custom Shop and be any happier than I am with it.

Now that I'm retired, mine gets played every day. It's my #1 of my Gretsches.

20191130_134356.jpg 20200307_125123.jpg 20191101_161608.jpg SAM_0131_zps9yasrzyv.jpg

lathoto, Defib Tim, section2 and 9 others like this.
  13. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    That is gorgeous! Love the quilted maple!

The Smoke is my favorite and I play it almost every day. With a just a few minor tweaks to the 2420 (ABM bridge, removing half of the pole screws, and some filing on the nut), it's still no 6120, but it's a lot of fun and pulls the always-out duty for when I just have a few minutes. Retirement is not far off though!

OLDBOLDDIVER, loudnlousy and G5422T like this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Position cut= cutaway(brain fart)

I have been looking at acoustics with an arm bevel. Not sure it's gonna make the difference, but I'll add the Alvarez to the list, tnx!

loudnlousy likes this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    There is a cutaway version, though it only comes with electronics: the AG60CEAR. I haven't seen one in person to try.

loudnlousy and Ricochet like this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Remember when people got by with one guitar?

lathoto, Robbie and loudnlousy like this.
  17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Three guitars come to mind immediately as my "wish list": a two-tone green Anniversary, a black 6128 with dynasonics, and an Eman T-style.

Too bad I can't afford any of them.

loudnlousy likes this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    That was a long time ago! For me, that was before the internet.

loudnlousy likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Still a viable point.

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Yes, it is. I gigged for about 20 years owning only 1 electric, 1 acoustic and 1 bass. Then I discovered the internet and everything changed.

loudnlousy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.