What guitar brand have you owned the most of ?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    6 - Vox guitars. Owned all at the same time and a really fun comparison. Edited for photos. I love the CoAxe pickups on these.

89A1D4F7-8F54-428F-828E-A5014E0C6B32.jpeg

8D525338-2D3D-4D28-992B-69784D4271CE.jpeg

5 - Gretsch (only two at one time)
    4 - Fender (two at one time)
    3 - G&L

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Gretsch by a whisker.

Still owned
    Gretsch 2 - 6118 and 5622.
    Gibson 1 - J45
    Columbus 1 - 335 copy. Inherited and shortly to be donated to local school.

Parted with
    Ibanez 1 - AM205. Part exchanged for the J-45.
    Epiphone 1 - Acoustic. Wore out on the neck. Went to charity shop after getting my J-45.
    Fender 1 - Strat. Sold to raise funds while at university. Kept the Ibanez.
    Tokai 1 - Strat copy. PX'd for the Ibanez.
    Aria 1 - Full hollow body. Was faulty. Swapped for Tokai and a better amp.

Not a massive list but encompasses some years when I wasn't playing guitars.

LivingMyDream, radd and thunder58 like this.
  3. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I don't flip guitars like some folks do. I tend to keep what I buy, so the "total owned" wouldn't be all the different from the "current only" list...

4 - Gretsch
    2 each - Danelectro, Fender, Gibson, Guild, Rickenbacker

Everything else is a "one off", at least at the moment.

LivingMyDream and radd like this.
  4. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    9 Gibson
    2 Dean
    1 Epi
    1 strat
    2 fender Bass
    1 Ibby bass

oh just owned most of.. probably Gibson cause they come in & never leave

5. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Ibanez by far at 9, although most didn't survive the ride for one reason or another. I had an RS440 in the late 80s, I'd played it into the ground by the time I sold its remains for peanuts mid 90s. I had an SB70 that was modded to death, bits of it have lived on in other project builds. I had my beloved RG550/Jem7RB mongrel which was the only guitar I have ever deliberately destroyed - don't ask. I was in a really bad place at the time and yes, it hurt. I have my Jem777VBK which is in a state of semi-retirement after many years of being my main axe. I had an AEG20 which was sold to make room for other gear, not a devastating loss. I briefly owned an RG5EX1, but it was a lemon and the neck refused to go into anything resembling acceptable relief. I have my RG7321. I have an RS440 that I acquired out of nostalgia a couple years ago, it's mostly a wall decoration, especially since it's currently zip tied to a piece of gridwall. Last was an RG8004, which also had a wonky neck and weak pickups and went back after a few weeks.

I still see the occasional Ibby that catches my fancy but it's gotta be high end for me to bother at this point.

-m

173220338_1089064694909316_2101510300771383818_n.jpg

LivingMyDream and Merc like this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Gretsch is top of the list for me, including all instrument types (electrics, acoustics, basses, banjos & mandolins)-- current Gretsch count is 20 total. I also own 20-something other instruments of various brands, but none of them come close to my Gretsch stable.

7. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, over the years, since 1966, I've owned 6 Gretschs. But as far as a single brand is concerned, Fender has probably been the one. I lost track long ago of how many have come and gone, with 14 currently in the house.

8. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Gretsch with 9.

9. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Does my pre-catalogue, salesman’s sample, Jackson Professional count?
    9D8C7CB8-C5F3-4DDA-8867-B20E5DD30C29.jpeg

Attached Files:

10. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I've got a 3-way tie. One each of Gretsch, Ibanez, and the rcboals partscaster (tele). Four-way tie if you count the D'Angelico concert uke.

11. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Fenders for me. At the moment I have 14 Strats, 6 Teles and two Jaguars. As well, I sold one Gretsch so I'm down to 17. Like @Scamp I have 7 old Ovations, six of which are electric guitars, a pile of Epis,some Gibsons, Rickenbackers, EBMM and others. Fenders and Gretsch have been my main guitars since I was a kid.

Pannacotta, LivingMyDream and radd like this.
  12. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Thinking about the tenure award that's been mentioned more than once in this thread...in my herd, tenure award goes to the Old Grey Beast. When I got it used in August of '88, it was still pretty clean, a classic unbranded Schecter strat style job with a mahogany body and bubinga top. It has a hardtail bridge from Stars Guitars (San Francisco shop run by Ron Armstrong, a former Alembic employee, known for their brass hardware.) It was still loaded with the F400T pickguard and electronics at the time, and had a phenomenal neck with a birdseye fretboard, brass nut and Gotoh tuners. The electronics were traded out for humbuckers in my naive teenage quest for a cooler guitar. The neck was damaged irreparably after some years, and the leftover neck from my Ibanez SB70 went on, where it remains. Over the years, it's been painted and stripped numerous times, and been outfitted with a wide variety of electronics. The body is solid, but the neck has seen better days and I'm thinking about a Warmoth replacement one of these days. Even in the shape she's in, she still feels like home after all these years...

-m

Mike_Guitar_CCFC.jpg

13. Fat Bastid

Fat Bastid Gretschie

Jan 16, 2021
    England
    3 Fenders
    1 Squier
    1 Vintage
    1 Aria Pro II
    1 Eko
    & not forgetting
    1 Gretsch

14. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
  15. rze99

rze99 Gretschie

Aug 8, 2017
    London, England

Thank you. That one turned out really beautifully I’m pleased to say. As far as I can tell, unique too. I had months waiting for the body but it was all worth it. In the flesh it’s terrific. Seriously I have not picked up my custom shop 63 Tele after making this. Maybe I should sell it!

16. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I was surprised how many Guilds I have owned.

Guild - 12
    Ibanez - 7
    Gretsch - 5

j.s.c, LivingMyDream and radd like this.
  17. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    GreTsch at 26, but followed closely by Fender.

HopeB, j.s.c, LivingMyDream and 3 others like this.
  18. EttoreMenguzzo

EttoreMenguzzo Electromatic

Mar 27, 2021
    Italy
    Counting basses and acoustic guitars
    Fender (3), Ibanez (3), luthier made (3), Cort (2), Epiphone (2), Danelectro (2), Sandberg (2), D'Angelico, Gibson, G&L, Gretsch, Line6 Variax,

19. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    Tied with 8 apiece: Gibson and Squier! o_O

20. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Agile is first (about a dozen). Gibson and Carvin, ten and seven each. Line 6 Variax, 4. Moonstone (don't ask) 3.
    A lot of others in 2's and 3's.

One Fender. Two Gretschs (one truly ancient Synchromatic archtop, one brand new G5222). One Epiphone, a 1939 archtop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.