What gear influences your playing style?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Stefan87, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    We all have the players that influence what we play and I was listening to an interview with Brad Paisley who made the comment that 'The gear you use can influence what you play' which I think is very true considering the new Schecter I have makes me want to drop the tuning and bang out heavy riffs even thought I'm not that type of a player.

So I thought it would be cool to ask the question here of what gear influences your playing style/sound/etc...?

I know you can play any thing on any instrument but for me this a basic run down of what I feel like playing predominantly when I pick up certain guitars.

G6119 - Classic Rock
    G6120 - Fingerpicking/Setzer/RHH style stuff (no surprise there lol)
    White Penguin - The popular guitar based 'hit' songs
    Black Penguin - Slow/Bluesy stuff
    Tele - Country
    G5230T - Modern fast rock
    Shecter C1+ - Modern punk/poppy 2000's stuff or Jazzy stuff

How about everyone else?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hands down ...it's who I am and part of my soul . My acoustics ( Martins ) and my harmonicas

DasherF, Archtops, MKunie and 3 others like this.
  3. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Any gear that enables me to be comfortable playing... thats first & foremost... l do love the Fender scale length too... most comfy there... a flat radius board & skinny high frets are beneficial as well.... My Jazz Bass & my Teles get the most play

Tony65x55, Mr Swisher and Stefan87 like this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Oh yeah I forgot about my Maton, great for the sing along campfire songs.

On a side note, was cleaning out the house over the weekend and found a Hohner big river harp in C that I don't even remember buying, so checking out some online lessons to see how I go with it.

thunder58 likes this.
  5. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I certainly notice that it's much easier to play fingerstyle on the longer scale Tele and Falcon than it is on the low-fast fretted Led Paul (12+ lbs.).

The Les Paul and other Gibsons certainly lend themselves to a heavier distortion/ riff-rock kind of playing.
    I keep my SG downtuned 3 semitones specifically for Black Sabbath songs...

Stefan87 likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I find that amps that for me. My Brownface likes to rock hard. My Vibrolux Reverb everything else.

Tony65x55 and Stefan87 like this.
  7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I like to play psychobilly on everything but my strat definitely makes me head more into surf territory with the longer scale, fat neck and heavier strings. My 6228 is the easiest playing guitar I’ve ever had and makes me just go punk/psycho/rockabilly/garage. Broadtrons through a Princeton may be my sound!

8. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Hmmm. I've never thought of it that way. I've always looked at it as what I'm in the mood to play influences which guitar I reach for.

That being said what's in my hands does influence me if I find myself messing about and wind up writing something from it.

9. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    I get influenced by... whatever I'm listening to that day. Since my gear is limited, I just play whatever I'm feeling that day.

Chmason85 and Stefan87 like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Ooooooold instruments!

JeffreyLeePierre and Stefan87 like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ll play the same tired ol blues lick on any of my electrics. Only when I grab an Acoustic, or start using fx will I change tune.

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes agree Stefan...

It's not just guitars though - it's also amps and pedals.

For example - if you don't own any amps or pedals that do distortion you won't be playing much heavy rock, punk or metal style. There'll also be a lots of standard rock you probly won't bother with either with no distortion to use. If you don't have distortion, or anything more than light overdrive, you've greatly reduced your musical options. And it doesn't matter what guitar you have either.

Same with pedals - not much point trying to play most U2 songs if you don't have a delay pedal.
    How would the Shadows sound with no reverb or EVH without Flanger.

JeffreyLeePierre and Stefan87 like this.
  13. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah exactly, anything really, from picks/cables/strings anything that makes you feel like playing a certain way is important to the player.

Waxhead and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    My gear very much influences me. Pedals tend to be the strongest part of the equation with delay pedals having a big impact. I've written several songs just from experimenting with delay times. But certain overdrives move me in different directions too. They may inspire me play without a pick or perhaps try a different pick. Having such a strong interest in sound engineering, I'm always on the search for something I hear in my head. I'll also pick up my baritone when I'm feeling in a creative rut and try to find something there. Stylistically speaking, I've always maintained that the mandolin is primarily a funk instrument. Likely because I never had the dexterity to play intricate runs on it but loved to play funky chop rhythms. That said, there was no interest in playing funk so we sold the mandolin some time ago.

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Guess I look at it as the instrument is the cake, the amp layers the cake, and any type of effect is the icing that brings it all together.

They all can set me in different moods and what I end up playing.

But real heaven is my Martin. @thunder58 can attest to that feeling or mood. Lol

Waxhead, thunder58 and Stefan87 like this.
  16. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I just want it to sound like an old archtop with a bigsby through a crankin’ Fender amp.

Stefan87 likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think I sound pretty much like me on any electric.

Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can’t say gear leads me to a certain genre but when I grab my Martin 000 I just tend to play arpeggios.

Archtops and Stefan87 like this.
  19. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

what influences my playing ? it's the guitar that I'm playing at the time. that's why I have the guitars that I have. my '59 Annie or my '75 Les Paul, or one of my Jets, or my Alverez acoustic. about the only effect I use is reverb.

Stefan87 and G5422T like this.
  20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Any gear I play heavily influences the way I play, then what I play.

An accoustic does not react the same way as an electric to types of chords (cowboy, barre, major, minor...), pick attack, palm mute.

All electrics doesn't react the same. I find cowboy chords ugly on my SG while they can be great on the G3140 or even G2655T. The Tele obviously is a special beast too.

And pedals! Now that I have a (cheap) tremolo, I like to crank the amp and play Link Wray's Ace of spade. With my (cheap) slapback always on, I use palm mute much more...

Several times, a new gear has inspired me to write one or several new songs too.

But I don't have any specific genre attached to one instrument, as listed in the OP.

Stefan87 and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.