What gauge strings do you use on your hollow body?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pete12string, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

10s for me and although I bend a lot especially country and blues, I don't often do more than a full step bend...hey, I'm 79 folks.

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I tend to use 11-48, but I do say that the 10-46 work just fine for me and easier on my old hands...

pete12string and Gregor like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    11-49 on everything including my 6120 and my 6136, and 12-52 on my Esquire.
    Bending the G is my only trick so I have to be able to do it on all my guitars.

pete12string likes this.
  4. The Eastman AR610, which is a acoustic hollow body , came with 12’s. I stuck with them a long time as you need them to shake that top and push air. But when i had the Barberra transducer installed, i went down to 11’s. I can play 12’s, but my fingers prefer 11. My hotrod now has 10’s, because it has pickups and is not meant for acoustic volume. As does my guild Stratford . Another guild i have has 11’s, which i deal with. When i got my takamine acoustic years ago, i always used 10’s. But one day i put on 11’s and the volume jumped. Not enough to make me go to 12, so 11 is the mid point for me. I know some archtop players using 13, and I believe i have seen thicker sets than that. Not sure how one plays 14’s and bends. I am guessing its for when you go back in time and play in a swing band before amps.

pete12string likes this.
  5. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    9/10/11. If the guitar has no nut issues, I just replace the same gauge it came with. All those work for me.

pete12string likes this.
  6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm not a string snob... Any set of 10s is fine. Currently using Brite Wires...

pete12string likes this.
  7. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Been using D'Addario Nickelwound XLs since forever mainly cause I can always go to Just Strings and order some up right quickly and they seem to do the job just fine. Plus just about any music store sells them. Back in the day I was a GHS Nickelwound Boomers guy but those got hard to find. The D'Addarios were commonplace so I switched.
    I pretty much run 10-46 on all my electric guitars, solid, semi, or hollow, with a few exceptions. For the Pro Jet 10s are just a bit slinkier than on the Telecaster, not a big deal to me. For stability with the Bigsby I kept 11-49s on the 24.75ish scale 5120(now moved on), and am currently running 10.5-48s on the 25.5 scale White Falcon. But I'm going back to 10-46s next time. With the pinned bridge I think it will be fine.

Flat top acoustics I like Elixer Nanowebs. Usually reg 12 light ga. unless I'm stringing up my D28 for a serious bluegrass situation, then I might go with 13s. They sound pretty good, they are consistent, and they last a long time. Didn't like the D'Addario coated ones. They sound harsh to me and didn't feel as nice, but their reg phosphor bronze is fine.
    For flatwounds, I really like the Tomastick Infied Jazz Swings.
    My bass has Labella Deep Talking Flats, love em.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    pete12string likes this.
  8. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I bend but not those big Tele country licks. Usually limited to 1/2 step on all but the first and second where I might occasionally go a full step. I use custom gauge pure nickel round cores by Curt Mangan (11-15-22w-30-42-50). They’re the longest lasting, most stable strings I’ve found for my taste. Great feel and tone. And they hold their pitch. Love them!

pete12string likes this.
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Right now my Tele’s get 9’s. I like to bend more than ever these days on Tele’s. All other guitars get 10s EXCEPT Gretsch guitars and any other hollow bodies. Those get 11’s, and currently the only fully hollow body in my stable sports 11 gauge flats.

pete12string likes this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    11s up to 13s depending on which archtop guitar. My 50xx and 60xx Gretsch's get 11 to 50s, currently i like the DR pure blues.

pete12string likes this.
  11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    There are some exceptions (a couple w/ NYXL .011-.049, a couple w/ TI flats .011-47) but mostly NYXL .010-.046. I still sub in an NYXL .018W for the 3rd string on a few of the Gretsches wearing bar bridges cut for them, but mostly just stick w/ the unwound 3rd from the pack otherwise.

pete12string likes this.
  12. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    11s Daddario on Gretsch 6122-62-

10s Daddario on 6120 sslvo and 5420

10s on Fender Strat Roadworn 60s

9-46 custom set on Les Paul

pete12string likes this.
  13. MichaelRopp

MichaelRopp Electromatic

Jan 20, 2021
    Albuquerque
    I use Labella Jazz Flats. I have an Epiphone Joe Pass strung with 12's, and a G6120T Setzer Nashville strung with 11's. I've used D'Addario Chromes often as well and really like those.

pete12string likes this.
  14. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    In my active bass playing days I was picky though. I used Maxima Gold Strings. Don't know if they still exist.

They were bit more expensive as they were indeed gold plated. But they lasted way longer than normal strings. At least for Ric bass played with pick that brightness is something you want.

pete12string likes this.
  15. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

10's on acoustic electrics and 9's on my Jets. That just seems right to me;)

pete12string likes this.
  16. Naveall

Naveall Electromatic

Jul 29, 2021
    St John, WA
    Where do get flat wounds at best kind I use darreo (spelt wrong) on all mine

pete12string likes this.
  17. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Not sure if you are asking where to get flat wounds, but if you are, here you go:
    https://m.juststrings.com/guitarflatwound.html

18. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I use the bottom three from this set with a .010”, .013” and .017” D’Addario plain steel singles up top. I use Strings By Mail and with Thomastiks there is no price penalty for buying individual strings.

radd and pete12string like this.
  19. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Hybrid Slinkies in all electrics...

D'addario flatwound on Gretsch. This one:

Screenshot_20210816-110301~2.png

Cazza64 and pete12string like this.
  20. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Generally a gauge heavier than the solid bodies, 11 or even 12s.
    I figure the top has to move to sound like a hollow body. Also I wanted the strings to act as a deterrent for frivolous and unnecessary(my middle name) bends. Kinda works. Of course I stopped playing hollow bodies altogether. :rolleyes:

pete12string likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.