What gauge strings do you use on your hollow body?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pete12string, Aug 15, 2021.

1. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    All of my Fenders and Gibsons use .010’s. I have a used G6120 on its way that’s got .011’s on it. I had .011’s on a Strat for a while and I could still bend up a whole step but I do find .010’s more comfortable. Probably leave .011’s on the 6120, at least for a while.

What are you using on your hollow body and do you bend a lot? Just curious since I’m new to hollow bodies.

2. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Gretschie

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    I use Martin 80/20 (12-54) on mine. I’ve tried lighter, but I felt I was losing a lot of projection. Something about the construction of an archtop hollowbody, you put some heavy strings on it and it’s like shooting notes from a bow and arrow.

3. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I use regular Slinkys on my Flying Vs and on my hollow bodies. They seem to give enough push back on the action and enough slinky for bending.

Many have told me that I am not suppose to be bending strings on a hollowbody. I Usually tell them it was decriminalized in the 70s.

LongJohn, Runamok, maystudios and 4 others like this.
  4. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    My preference for string brands is Elixir, D'Addario or Ernie Ball.

I like to bend so it's 9-42's on my Strats.
    Tried 11-46 on Gretsch....yeah, beefier sound on the plain strings....but prefer the feel of 10-46, so that's what I use.

I've got fat, muscly, tradie-like fingers so it's not that string gauge is an issue, I think I just like the feel of light gauge. Call me a softie, frankly, I don't give a damn. :cool:

BTW: Damn....this forum is addictive!

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    010-046 Boomers on my Hollow. 009 sets on my Solids.
    But I am considering to put 009 on my Hollow next time I will change strings on her. Why not?

pete12string and ZackyDog like this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    yup. Rehab is down the hall, 4th door on the right.

7. THISISDINOSAUR

THISISDINOSAUR Electromatic

Oct 21, 2019
    London
    Craig Encinitas and pete12string like this.
  8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Stringjoy Balanced 10s. When I buy them three packs at a time, even with shipping they're only slightly more spendy than NYXLs, but I find they last longer.

pete12string, ZackyDog and rake_ether like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ...first step is admitting the problem

10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I follow the Guitar George model ("it's strictly rhythm; he doesn't wanna make it cry or sing"), so I don't do much bending.

I use Elixir 10s on all of my electrics (6120 Jr hollow, 5620 semi-hollow, and Pro Jet). I like the tone and feel. 11s will drive the top a little harder, giving you a louder acoustic sound, but 10s sound just fine to my ears.

pete12string and MrWookiee like this.
  11. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Gretschie

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    I put D'Addario NYXL - 10-46 Regular Lights on my Setzer Smoke and Ernie Ball Slinky Nickel Wound - 09-42 Supers on my EJ Strat. I have had the guitars for only a couple of months; haven't worn out the strings yet so I have nothing to compare.

I like the feel of Elixers for the first week or so; after the poly starts to wear off the appearance bugs me. I also think they 'dull' more quickly than non-coated strings. I reserve the right to be completely wrong about everything all the time.

Back to your original question: I think the strings on my Smoke sound perfect run through either of my amps.

Craig Encinitas and pete12string like this.
  12. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Stringjoy 10.5-50

pete12string likes this.
  13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
  14. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I meant to try a set on my G2627T and ordered Bebops by mistake. They're not flats but I do like the way they sound!

pete12string and radd like this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Usually 10's, but I like a wound third string on anything with a Bigsby, which is pretty much all my hollowbodies but one, so you gotta consider that.

Never anything lighter. I'm not a big string bender, so that's not an issue for me.

Johnny ray and pete12string like this.
  16. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I use d’addario 11-50. Bending isn’t any harder than it is with 10’s and I like the thumps-er bottom end with the 50 on the low e

EarleG, MichaelRopp, TSims1 and 2 others like this.
  17. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    11s, 10s break a lot with my playing style

Viking Power and pete12string like this.
  18. Alpine11

Alpine11 Electromatic

Aug 3, 2021
    Spokane,WA
    I just got a 5422 and did not like the 11s it came with, I like to bend so I changed to some DR Blues 10s and for me it sounds the same but a big improvement in bending ease, but I'm 68 years old, maybe you young studs can handle the heavier stuff with no problem.

19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    My Gibson LP came with a hybrid set (9-46) that I wasn't aware of, I took it for granted that they were 10-46 until I checked them. It plays and sounds great so I bought a few sets to try on my other non-25.5" guitars.
    My fingers appreciate the lighter strings.

Johnny ray and pete12string like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.