What exactly makes Hawaiian music-well Hawaiian?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GVDobler, Oct 22, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'll see your Don Ho and raise you a Sol Ho'opi'i.

thunder58, GVDobler and dougmon like this.
  2. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    topic- What exactly makes Hawaiian music-well Hawaiian?
    Maybe it should be what is it about non-Hawaiian music that has a Hawaiian influence?
    There's a whole other influence on 'race' music as well, and that is Native (continental) American music. The Netflix documentary Rumble brings this to light.
    It is all so interesting to me, and, well, typically American around the 19th and 20th centuries.

3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Here is a great traditional style player, one of the best around imo. This is the way!

Lucky Jim, thunder58 and Londoner like this.
  4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Gretschie

Dec 29, 2012
    Aberdeen
    Lap steel in a 6 or 9 tuning.

5. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    6th definitely.
    Not sure about 9th. I think that's mainly used on pedal steels?

6. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Jerry Byrd did a lot to promote Hawaiian steel guitar music. If I remember correctly his tuning was C6/A7 which was like regular C6 but with the bottom string tuned to C#.

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Speaking in only the most general of terms, what I hear in Hawaiian guitar is very consonant, with few, if any, sharp corners (harmonically speaking). I would think that the C6 tuning would be a natural for this sound.

That’s an interesting tuning. I could imagine that tuning would give you a lot of options.

8. Paul Kemper

Paul Kemper Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    Sonora, CA
    Starting in the 1930's Oahu Music Company started selling their Hawaiian guitar method to music teachers all across the USA. In 1950 at the age of ten I started taking lessons. We started on a six string acoustic guitar with a raised metal nut and a flat steel bar, a year or so later we transitioned to an electric lap steel. Mom and dad bought me a Magnatone guitar and a small practice amp both of which sounded very nice.

I discovered girls at 14 and stored my guitar and amp in the attic and eventually sold them many years later. In early 2000 I bought a Chandler Studio 6 lap steel and started playing again, but eventually sold that too as I wanted (and still do) an 8 string lap steel.

We learned E7, A6 and C#m7 tunings. The C#m7 sounded spooky but so nice. I believe E7 would be the easiest to learn for someone transitioning from guitar in standard tuning. While eliminating many bar slants, C6 just sounds too shrill and treble to my old ears.

If anybody knows of a Fender Stringmaster 8 for sale please let me know.

Regards,
    Paul

GVDobler likes this.
  9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    Here's a great example of Hawaiian music played on a lap steel guitar. Very tasteful player, indeed.

The lap steel guitar is much more prevalent in Hawaiian music than is the pedal steel guitar, which came along much later.

GVDobler likes this.
  10. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Electromatic

Mar 13, 2016
    Texas Panhandle
    Here's a cool tune covered by Dwight Yoakam, showcasing lap steel played by Greg Leisz. Greg was my next door neighbor for ten years and we were garage bandmates growing up together in Fullerton, California.

JustNorm and GVDobler like this.
  11. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Nobody mentioned hula girls?

Charles Conner and GVDobler like this.
  12. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    25 or 30 years ago I played with a group in the northern Va., Wash.DC area called;" The Royal Polynesians"... To help me learn the material, the leader, Tony Loupe a fire dancer from Hawaii, born in Samoa, gave me some guitar recordings that were made in Hawaii, It's hard to explain the music played by excellent Polynesian musicians, even covers of some American guitar music like "Pipe line"or some of the Ventures music had a Polynesian accent. I tried hard to capture that "accent"(must be in the touch)....Using my stratocaster with the wammy bar and reverb helped with the steel guitar sounds that I also needed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  13. LeSainte

LeSainte Electromatic

Oct 4, 2021
    New York
    I'm probably not adding anything no-one else has said... But Hawaiian music me to me is the distinct mix of ukulele and steel guitar.

Oh, God do I hate the ukulele.

14. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    A Group I worked with "The Royal Polynesians ", had real hula girl dancers and their blouses were, wait for it ..... made with a coconuts cut in half....

wabash slim and new6659 like this.
  15. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There's a '57 Stringmaster for sale on the Reso hangout forum, looks pretty cool.

16. JustNorm

JustNorm Electromatic

Mar 25, 2017
    Alberta
    Thanks for the thread everyone. I found it very entertaining to play the various youtube cuts and listen to the distinctive sounds. Nice wake up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.