...What Even Is This?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by Duo Slinger, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    r0de0 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tenor guitar---D, G, B, and hi E strings. Tenors used to be far more common. Scatman Crothers was a well known player. Great for small hands, I guess.

3. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Huh. Cool. I've never heard of one before.

4. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    $3700 for 2/3 of a guitar? Crazy!

Duo Slinger likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I haven't heard that name in years . He was quite the entertainer

cowmoo, Landshark2020 and MrWookiee like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    oh and that smile .........

cowmoo and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Tiny Grimes, famous jump blues tenor player.

drmilktruck and dougmon like this.
  8. afire

afire Country Gent

Their relative popularity way back when was that they were an easy way for out-of-fashion banjo players to transition to guitar.

9. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    I doubt it's a '56... most of these mini-batches of Tenor Jets were made in the 1954 model year. A couple groups of 15 or so each (educated guess) have surfaced. There were one-off Tenor Jets from later model years, but they are obviously uncommon. Gretsch catalogs promised that they would make ANY model in the 4-string tenor format as a custom order. Elvis Costello owns a 4-string 1958 6120.

loudnlousy and drmilktruck like this.
  10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    He was in "The Shining" where he got axed, and in the Kick The Can episode of The Twilight Zone '90s remake. But he was best known for his music---Scat-man, get it?

After watching those videos, I noticed the guitar he played was a Martin. Tenor seems a bit like a large ukulele.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    GlenP likes this.
  11. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    One of the Kingston Trio played rhythm on a tenor, while the other 2 guys alternated between 6 string & banjo.
    Dhani Harrison plays tenor a lot.

12. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    Saw that at the Manhattan GC when I bought my '60 6131. Bullet truss rod cover and plain (no arrow or 'G') knobs. You'd know better what year that puts it in but definitely pre '55. What year did the non script logo start?

13. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    BTW I adore how hard GC/MF makes it to find stuff. Click the "in store vintage button, you know, the section this is listed in, and it says they have nothing. When I bought the Jet it wasn't listed when entering Gretsch in GC's vintage section online, nor when manually looking through every vintage piece within 100 miles of me. It only showed up when I searched for Jet - they had it listed as a Gretsch Fire Jet. Don't understand why a Gretsch search didn't bring it up.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I love my tenors, they're banjos but same de same.... 20210108_141619.jpg 20201229_170918.jpg

dougmon, speedicut and bhatta like this.
  15. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Script logo... debut batch of 150 Jets in late 1953, T-roof logo and first fret inlay for '54, arrow knobs for '55.

16. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Neko Case plays a tenor SG on a regular basis. You might even say she's been on a crusade to bring them back. And not entirely unsuccessful either. Fender brought out a Tenor Tele last year as part of their "Alternate Reality" series. I was intrigued for a while, but when I finally played one, it had sort of a Squier vibe to it. Just didn't seem like the build quality was there. I passed on it.

Probably should have got it. They only made them the one year, and oddballs like that are sort of instant collectors items.

01-25.jpg

Eastwood looks like they make some tenors, you can even order a seafoam green Map. Why am I not surprised? Ha!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  17. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    By Ed Ball, hmmmm that name sounds familiar. I was unaware that the script logos were limited to the original run.

Here’s a few unexciting pics I snapped when at GC but you can see the plain top knobs and the typical GC “I can just put the bridge anywhere, right?”

Attached Files:

18. jump

jump Electromatic

Feb 21, 2021
    Texas
    Eastwood makes tenors. they make a semi hollow body that I had thought about but I kinda need to hold it and feel it before I shell out $700. last year they were $100 less.

19. Have two tenors left. My wife plays one. Tuned CGDA, which is like mandolin tuning. You can find the right strings and tune it DGBE, but that is frowned upon in the tuned in fifths community. Fifths tuning is different than evil guitar tuning. I learned guitar first, then tried fifths years later. I like fifths, it’s actually simpler than standard guitar tuning when first starting out. But now that guitar tuning has been burned into my brain, I struggle at times to consider the mandolin/tenor tuning. There fore guitar tuning is evil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.