What do you think of this mod?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by juks, Jan 13, 2021 at 6:01 PM.

1. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Saw this used G5222 online, but noticed that previous owner had changed the v-tail to something else. Looks like it's a Gretsch original as it has a G on it. It's tempting but I am little concerned if who ever did it knew what they were doing. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

thunder58 likes this.
  2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    From what I can tell from the photo, it looks like a standard G cutout tailpiece. The mounts for the V tail are just sitting there, lonely, doing nothing. I like the G tail, but, it seems to be an experiment in change for change's sake alone. Should've left well enough alone. YMMV.

3. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    yep, it looks bit silly the two holes just sitting these.

4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Yeah, looks a little wonky with the post holes visible. I don't have a V tail guitar anymore to look at but I think you could put the V tail and posts back on, run the strings through it to the G tail. If the owner doesn't have it they are only about $25. I like the G tails a lot and I know it works on Gretsches with wrap around bridge/tail.
    IMG_20210109_120814.jpg

calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  5. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Had that tailpiece on my ‘08.
    Man, I miss that guitar!
    2F61E455-6E70-4106-906A-DBE49C9CAB36.jpeg

MyGirlGretta likes this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    As stated, nut’n wrong with the tail piece. The left over stop tail mount locations, not acceptable. I would pass on the guitar.

7. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Thanks guys. I have time to wait until a better one shows up. I do like that color. Gretsh has many nice colors IMO.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    All it needs is someone famous to play it and then people will put the two holes in on purpose (like the Malcom Young).

radd and dak55 like this.
  9. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I saw that one on GC's site. I thought it had a big gouge on the top or something til I enlarged it. Kinda curious about that B-52 sticker...:confused:

10. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Yea thats where I saw it. I didn't even realize it was a b-52, but so it is.

11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have NO interest in a guitar, especially a Gretsch guitar, with no Bigsby.
    That being said, this Jet is über cool!

dak55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.