What do you miss...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Feb 9, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Skiing, movies at the theatre with my kids, dinner parties, family gatherings, dropping into the pub for a quick pint.

2. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Playing pool and having a beer with my friends at our Royal British Legion club.
    The club has lost so much money over the last 10 months that it likely won't reopen, so those days will be gone forever.

pmac11, radd and Merc like this.
  3. manunk

manunk Gretschie

Missing my brothers and sisters, and going to guitar shops especially since I want to try and buy an amp.

4. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I didn’t realize people still did that. I think today most are too busy holding their phones than to catch and carry you.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    lathoto and OzzPocket like this.
  5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Mostly friends & family. Not having to emote only w/ my eyes. Spending less than 12 hours a day at a desk during the week. Leaving the house more than a few times a week.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I miss canoodling with my wife and seeing my kids grow up most, 8 months and counting now. They’re on another continent, and the authorities have me jumping through hoops trying to get back.

audept, pmac11, radd and 1 other person like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The thing I miss the most is having people over to our house. I love to cook for other people and sitting around having a few drinks and a meal with friends and family is part of what makes life worth living. We've done a few outdoor fire pit gatherings and that was good, but getting together more regularly and for longer times will be nice.

8. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I'm a bit of a hermit, I don't miss anything, in fact, one of my fantasies is to be like Harry Belafonte as the last man on earth in:
    The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959 film)

Merc and JC higgy like this.
  9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I miss going out without a mask.
    I miss concerts - lives shows, monster trucks, fairs, festivals, and being normal.
    I don't like the virtual world - talking to doctors over the phone instead of in person is a joke and a rip off. Can't look down your throat, in you ears, listen to your heart and lungs.
    The whole deal stinks for me.

Merc and JC higgy like this.
  10. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Thinking about it, what do I really miss? Actually, a lot of things happend in these times that haven't been too bad in my opinion. Less traffic, people washing their hands regularly, less crowded shops...
    But I do miss rehearsing with the band, attending and playing live concerts, recording our own music and meeting the few friends that are worthwhile. Not too much really, but that are the things that make life worth living to me.

Merc and Sabato like this.
  11. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Having a nice BBQ with friends and family :(

Merc and pmac11 like this.
  12. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I'm not sure.

I miss common sense, but there's nothing new about it ... or, lowering the demands - a bit of common sense like the distinction between stuff that is known and stuff that isn't ... a basic little bit of intellectual dignity.

Mostly - being spontaneous. Deciding to do something and just doing it, without much planning or preparing. And, of course - concerts!

I don't miss living with a cat anymore.

new6659, Merc, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am missing hugging my friends and my mum.

new6659, Merc, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  14. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Dispatch all day, every day for my companies. I miss when people could communicate properly & had manners.

michelb, Merc, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    For the kids: School and all their extracurricular activities. I mean, they did not get a senior prom or graduation or sports, etc. and the college experiences. The kids really have missed out on a lot, we older folks are lucky to have had those things and sure we miss things, but they have totally missed out.

Merc and pmac11 like this.
  16. afire

afire Country Gent

Precious little. I never ate out much, don't love traveling (like the destinations, but don't like the journey), have been to one concert in the last 15 years, don't really care for hugging or any human contact outside of my family, and am in a band more out of a sense of obligation than anything, so a couple of gigs a year is great for me. When I spell that out, it sounds like a miserable existence, but it's not. I'm just a homebody only interested in family and close friends.

What I do miss is entertaining. I'm an avid cook and before this I probably had company over for a big dinner at least once a week. Our house was locked down from March to May, expanded to my wife's sister and her family and one other family over the summer (they locked back down in the fall). So we've had people over maybe once every couple of weeks, and we're back down to one family that we interact with. I've only seen my parents a few times in the last year, which is a bummer too.

Not so much an issue anymore, but in the beginning, when you had no idea what was or wasn't okay to do, I missed grocery shopping more than anything. I used to go to the store at least once a day, twice on weekends. For a couple of months we were doing massive curbside runs every week or two. But it's gradually come back to nearly every day, especially after having COVID. So, life for me at this point isn't all that different than it was a year ago. And I never stopped going to work other than when I had it.

17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When was that? for me it would be pre-1970 in the small Mayberry town that I grew up in. Surely nothing to do with the pandemic.

Merc likes this.
  18. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    notice a very harsh change , say last 5 years..thread title.."what do you miss",
    you coulda passed right on by me..

19. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

Merc,

I miss live theatre which my wife and I enjoy immensely, Niagara on the Lake, and Stratford Ontario.

I also miss scuba diving, and my favorite dive destination, Tobermory Ontario.

Me on the wooden ship wreck of the Barque schooner ''Arabia''

BIB.

Screenshot (12).png Screenshot (16).png

thunder58, Merc, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Another hermit here, so not missing much.
    In fact i actually enjoyed the first lock down last year during April,May June,everything was so peaceful and quiet,bless!

But i do miss going to see a doctor in person,and just popping into a barbers without having to make an appointment .And another thing,i haven't been to my dentist since September 2019,they've only been taking emergency's ,no check ups ,as of today anyway.

Been looking at used cars and usually enjoy walking around having a look at them,but over here all dealers are closed to the public so you can only buy over the phone and contact-less, so the first time you see your new/used car is when they hand it over,which isn't even aloud at the dealer facility! So no test drives,that's a deal breaker for me.
    But i don't think much will change after lock down ,other than a quick test drive,because this way the dealer holds all the cards.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.