What do you know about a Gretsch Alligator?

Bob Perrone

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2017
allentown, pa
When you get a good one (which most are) they have a nice bark in the tone - the biscuit bridge does that. Perfect blues picker. The more recent runs are excellent - don't know the year of manufacture of that one though

Runamok

Country Gent
Saw one on a bandstand the other day.
I dunno if it ever got played.

There are posts here about them. I have one.
What do you need to know?

I would not rave about the guitar.
Bought new, sight unseen—I keep mine because I like the body scale & 1.75 fretboard. Not the fretboard wood, just its width at the nut. The guitar just feels good in my lap. 12 frets to the body.

It doesn’t hold its tuning remarkably well, but at my price point was good enough, given the scant choices at that time. (Mine may have flirted with being a Lemon sub-variant. Details elsewhere in the forum).

Recognize that the 9240 has no pickup. Check Sweetwater prices. If its in top shape, $300 works. Me: I wouldn’t go higher without knowing where its been.

There are a bunch of identical-looking guitars like this out there. Fender branded even makes one which, from photos— identical to it now. Recording King too.

Last edited:

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
@Wood Hollow . Funny this came up . I just watched a video : cannonball by Kolby Cooper and thought of this thread . I think the same guitar is featured but I'm not sure

Wood Hollow

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Indiana
You have one word across 2 posts.
I wrote you a novel.

The Craigslist guy found comments about the guitar online. Did he pick it up at a garage sale?

If its a consignment item at a music store (which it appears to be), ask the store to comment vs an anonymous seller. Unless its off the back of a truck.
Thanks for the novel… 🙄 I really don’t understand your response. I only reposted after 5 days of not receiving any responses!
The “Craigslist guy” is a semi-local pawn shop. At least that’s what their sign says. It’s more of a resale shop. Personally, I wouldn’t believe a word he says. I was hoping for some personal accounts here from actual owners.

Runamok

Country Gent
Thanks for the novel… 🙄 I really don’t understand your response. I only reposted after 5 days of not receiving any responses!
The “Craigslist guy” is a semi-local pawn shop. At least that’s what their sign says. It’s more of a resale shop. Personally, I wouldn’t believe a word he says. I was hoping for some personal accounts here from actual owners.
I’m not complaining about the followup. Been there too—with no responses. We get used to answers on demand like we are OWED responses, spilling all is known.

Just pointing out your investment in the original post was quite spare.

If its local, examine the goods, imo.

My thing is to change the strings. That made a world of difference to me, as far as liking the tone I got. It an ok guitar, but just not fabulous. I haven’t played the guitar much in some time, but I think I have d’Addario NBs on it now, giving a fuller palette & more sustain.

I wish my Republics has this neck.

Limited time offer on $50 off is a gimmick coming from a pawn shop. What are they going to do—RAISE the price for quick sale end of day today if it doesn’t move?

There are old posts here about these guitars, some like them alot. The samples above are very “country.” Me: I don’t want country. Not special, but its a keeper. I love the form factor as a thin O-size. The new price on these is up $150 for this base model since ~2017 w/o pickups, when buying new. (Did your legwork for you).

(I am) No expert on this. Depends upon your expectations & how you feel about buying used goods you haven’t put hands on.

Last edited:

Latest posts