What do y'all think about this one?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Jeff67, Nov 21, 2020.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I don’t get a chance to show off often. So here’s a few pics of my Steven Stern knotty pine roundup. The 3 flathead screws on the Synchrosonic are recent mods for palm muting. I was playing it for a couple of hours yesterday and wondering if there was anything that could be improved at all. No. It’s perfect. Well worth the money. But the guitar in the OP doesnt seem right at all. Just an odd mix of ingredients and choices. As i tell my design students, Theres a difference between an original idea and a good idea

AC334283-EF74-45A8-B8DB-EC36BF8697DD.jpeg

CE565178-B549-45E8-98B4-2C0219B0E9AA.jpeg

CDEBDC24-1DB0-466D-80D1-CDE9B61F5A41.jpeg
    If this weren’t aged I’d be too scared to play it. But because its so well done i have no fear of strumming the living daylights out of it. Relic guitars aren’t for everyone but i think this is absolutely stunning and I could never find let alone afford a real ‘55.
    9A636030-D1A9-4216-BC6C-1F66AB6163C2.jpeg
    My only mod to mr Stern’s work. Three flathead screws.

loudnlousy, Scott, mrfixitmi and 9 others like this.
  2. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I think it’s the new deal of Jets... B5 and tone knob, no single pickup volume. I saw another new production non-chambered Special Jet like that on Reverb... basically an high-end Junior Jet.
    A bit like when they replaced B6 on Broadkasters for B7. Maybe is a trend.
    Love the color and the finish, but when it comes to P90s the other G brand does the job better if you ask me. I bet my ‘64 SG Special soapbars could give this 4300 dollars guitar a fight.;)

Jeff67 and LivingMyDream like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    dak55 and mbkri like this.
  4. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Somebody fill me in...what does the "Jr" imply on a Gretsch? I've known the brand, the models, but still learning the sub-models.

Jeff67 likes this.
  5. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    First thing that came to my mind was, "The Custom Shop's trying to give further legitimacy to the 2210/15."
    But I agree - B50 on a G2215 wouldn't be that expensive, and would be a heap of fun.

Jeff67 and Stefan87 like this.
  6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah, they look like a really cool moding platform.

Tadhg likes this.
  7. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Gorgeous

8. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

My guess is scale length.

9. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I was wondering about that, too.

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I thought Jr meant a smaller body size compared to the bigger sibling.

Henry likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    The only thing I can think off with the jets is that similar to the Gibson versions, which is stripped down/basic as the one pictured in the OP only looks to have a master volume and tone control not the standard electronic layout, but they again didn't Gibson call their beginner guitars juniors as they were cheaper less frills guitars to the standard ones?

12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    On hollow and semi-hollow Gretsches, "Junior" denotes a smaller body size. For example: the 6120 has a 16" lower bout, while the 6120 Jr has a 14" lower bout. The Broadkaster Jr has a smaller body than the Broadkaster; the 2655 Streamliner Jr has a smaller body than the 2622 Streamliner; etc. They all have the same 24.6" scale length.

I've never seen a Jr Jet before. From what I can tell, they're stripped-down Jets: flat tops, fewer knobs, unbound necks. Not sure why anyone would want a Custom Shop guitar with fewer bells and whistles, but there you have it.

Jeff67, Stefan87 and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.