What did you do today that was guitar or music related?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Bearskindrum

Bearskindrum Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    New Zealand
    Went to the movies with my wife and saw 'Mick Fleetwood and Friends' the tribute to the music of Peter Green and the early Fleetwood Mac...easily the best recorded and filmed music concert I have ever seen...amazing list of players and songs in a brilliant tribute to one of the creative masters of music...seen on the big screen is absolutely awesome....See this Film!

M

2. Taco Cat

Taco Cat Electromatic

Oct 30, 2020
    Utah
    Watched La La Land with my daughter last night, and have had some of the jazz bits stuck in my head. Ended up getting the trumpet out for the first time in several years, and spent an hour today trying to re-learn how to play the thing. Kinda forgot how tiring it can be if your lips aren't in shape.

Archtops likes this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I learned Le Freak...
    Funk is fun!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  4. Taco Cat

Taco Cat Electromatic

Oct 30, 2020
    Utah
    C'est chic!

speedicut likes this.
  5. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    Transcribed the electric guitar part to Thin Lizzy’s ‘Whiskey In The Jar’ into standard notation for a new cover band project. I had previously learned the Metallica version but hadn’t realised how different they are in structure!

Also made sure I had mp3s of all the songs I need to learn on bass for a new country band I’m hoping to play with.

Currently listening to George Strait’s album ‘Somewhere Down In Texas’ - it’s pretty darned fine!

6. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Played surf guitar (unplugged) on my 5120. Bigsby tappin’ fun!!

Viking Power and Archtops like this.
  7. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Not today, but Sunday I took two guitars, a bass and two cheapo pedals to GC for a trade in. Something I have been lusting after awhile. Yes it's a Gretsch. But I'll post a NGD when I can post pics. Should be here Friday, but knowing UPS, probably Monday.

Archtops likes this.
  8. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Just installed a Blend pot in place of the three way switch on my Yamaha 2024X Bass.

Don't know why manufacturers put out any two pickup bass with a switch. to my ears the sweet spot is always off centre either way. But then, I'm a Jazz Bass man.

T he blend pot is at the bottm with a different knob. :rolleyes::)

2024X.jpg

9. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Tried figure out where the fuse goes on my Gibson Skylark. Stand by for updates.

10. m_n_b

m_n_b Electromatic

Feb 29, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    I procrastinated disassembling my nearly new Gretsch Bobtail resonator to fix some buzzing and played it instead.

I’ve only recently started exploring the world of open tuning and slide guitar. I fell quickly into delta blues style, but discovered you can do some interesting stuff that isn’t blues if you just avoid the flat 5 and of course the slide from minor third to 2nd on the bottom string cuz that just soooooo blues. But it’s soooo sexy, too!

I was very surprised how incredibly heavy the Bobtail is. But it sounds good and plus pretty well. Other than the buzz it picked up. This is the 2nd buzz, but the first was fixed by just tightening the outer plate a tad. The new buzz is annoying but I still love the guitar. Probably not as much as my White Falcon or Midnight Sapphire Penguin.

Archtops likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I need to pull my trumpet and trombone out. My cheeks ache more on the trumpet.

Taco Cat likes this.
  12. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Started setting up my garage shop in our new residence for some guitar builds.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  13. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Researched the functionality of the no-load tone knob or delta tone system on my strat.
    Had an in person lesson that covered so much ground! Part of it consisted of starting to learn two songs: Dead Flowers by The Stones and Wipeout by The Surfaris.
    It’s been a good day.

montereyjack66 likes this.
  14. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Country Gent

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I sold this to a terrific guy with a nice, bluesy feel to his playing, and who I knew would provide it with a loving home...

2017 Agile AL-2500 TC VWH.jpg

Archtops likes this.
  15. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Tried to do the Up-Down-Up(mute) rhythm part strum pattern for Sultans of Swing. More work required.

Archtops likes this.
  16. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Working on a new song.

17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Drums and drum tuning mostly. Although I started a thread on a stringed instrument tuning that is eluding me. So staying musical to some extent.

Archtops likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Concluded the Marshall Lead20 deserves a better speaker, and the J&D mini Tele tuners suck rotten eggs. Won't spent any money on gear though, so went window shopping for a new hat instead(it's were all the tone is anyway).

Archtops likes this.
  19. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Electromatic

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Picked up my Hofner from the shop. There's an electronics wiz here in town and the electronics needed some work. Now, I'm going to restring it and... not drive the neighbours crazy. We're in an apartment and my amps never go over three. :(

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Head hat or hi hat? I have both. Just upgraded to 16” Meinl Byzance vintage pure. Very very nice, everything I was hoping it would be and more. Or for head hats may I suggest a nice bowler?

Attached Files:

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.