What did you do today that was guitar or music related?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Chris MC

Chris MC Gretschie

Oct 27, 2014
    Orange, Aus
    Finger picking patterns with the metronome.

2. dspellman

dspellman Electromatic

Jul 4, 2020
    Los Angeles
    I began the weekly humiliation of my guitars.

Same, right?

3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Picked my accoustic after a long homeworking day, and started to warm up. But I felt that was too ugly, no sense of rhythm at all, seemed like a wrong day and I did not insist.

Just noodled parts of:
    All Night Long, a song I wrote 25 years ago just to find again the chord sequence which I had forgotten;
    Mystery Train (Elvis);
    Slave (the last Rolling Stones' decent riff), and that one was really terrible;
    Apache (just to practice it in Am);
    Femme Fatale (Velvet Underground), I'm happy I had the idea for the very first time to try and find the right arpeggio on the chorus' final E (which actually is the simplest one can imagine);
    Mother of Earth (Gun Club), not even decent;
    Primitive (the Cramps' way);
    Who Loves The Sun (Velvet Underground), almost decently but now I prefer to play it electric with a heavy tremolo, kinda like the Cramps do Lonesome Town.

And that was it. No longer than 20 minutes I suppose.

Xochi2 likes this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Quintuple LOL!
    Genius!

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  5. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Let's see, since Monday ...

Got the Janglebox I bought from Thunder58 - sounds great with the Rics of course, really extra happy with how good it makes my Guild 12-string acoustic/electric sound. Running that thru a stereo rig - a '65 DRRI and a Rumble 25 bass amp to add a little more bottom end. Sounds amazing!

Today, I dinkered around on the Dirty 30's parlor guitar while I watched a documentary on Jaco Pastorius.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Cut a curved-depth truss rod slot in a maple neck blank and fabricated a truss rod for it (I hate doing that).

7. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Drove two hours to the west. Played: soccer, baseball, keep the balloon off of the floor, shagged soft baseball hit with a tennis racket, walked along side grandsons who were on bikes, watched "The Sandlot," all this with three grandsons (ages 2.5-7 YRS. old), will play a few licks on PRS Paul Allender (unplugged) that I brought along after I finish some photo post processing.

Dana Rudd likes this.
  8. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Too funny!:D My daughter even laughed.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  9. El TEl

El TEl Electromatic

Mar 12, 2021
    Staffordshire England
    Thursday was my busy day musically this week with a one hour set on Facebook live at a sports bar followed by a short set in the evening on a folk club Zoom. Thank god for the internet till we can get out gigging again

10. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

I entered some new drum & rhythym tracks into my Boss DR-01s drum machine (a great little unit!). Then I practiced some songs that were already in there.

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    Did my usual cycle round the various guitar and amp forums I'm on.
    Had a look at the used sections of all the guitar shops I can think of.

Debated which guitar and amp to play through...picked the band set up: Marshall Mini Jubilee, pedalboard and grabbed my Tele since it was already in the living room and played for 1.5 hours, including the band set list.

Debated sneaking upstairs and having another play/practice on my recording set up via headphones on another guitar, so as not to annoy the rest of the locked down household too much. Made a coffee instead.

By a factor of 3 to 1 (and it's mid afternoon here still, so room for more idle reading yet!) I read more about playing guitars than I do actually playing them. :oops::D

I might restring one of my guitars later and take some photos of gear I plan to try to sell, then I can...

Do my usual cycle round the various guitar and amp forums I'm on.
    Have a look at the used sections of all the guitar shops I can think of. :D

EDIT: I did restring one of my guitars and managed to spend 2 hours polishing the frets, fingerboard and taking a bit off the top of the nut so the strings aren't 'buried' in deep slots. Plays great now too. :) Now back to my usual cycle...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    new6659 and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  12. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    I've had the same problem with FedEx. I don't trust them!

13. dougmon

dougmon Synchromatic

Jan 9, 2013
    California
    The person to whom the guitar was actually delivered took the time to bring it over to my house! I'm trying to think of something nice to get them right now.

14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Put some clear coats on my Jazzmaster build in Mary Kay Pink.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  15. BootlegGreacer

BootlegGreacer Electromatic

Feb 27, 2020
    Sweden
    Today i ordered a rocking bar bridge for my g2420t (not sure if it will fit, pray for me:confused:) and a mic for both recording guitar and possibly singing. Both as gifts for my upcoming birthday.

16. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Played my Falcon through my Supro and started back on my search for an acoustic around $600.. I tried the Jim Dandy (Fail) And Alvarez which was nice but I was over charged around $300 and a Taylor GS-mini which is going back. I am searching, Any help would be greatly appreciated, I also created a post with my 2 last choices for now! THANKS!!!!!

17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Guitar related......I ran through all the music one last time for tomorrow’s 3 Easter services. I marveled at the Firefly 338 that I love and got brand new for $189(and laughed at how out of all of my guitars that cost so much more, I chose it for Easter services!).

Un-guitar related yet still musical, I spent time with my Father-In-Law and his new keyboard showing him ways to connect chords and make his playing more efficient and fluent. It impresses me that at 73 yrs old he is ready to work on becoming a player.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  18. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Unfortunately nothing. Got my first covid shot today. The plan was to take it easy and noodle all afternoon. But my arm is too sore for that. So maybe Netflix has something music related...

19. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    I played my Gibson historic fat neck 59 ES 335 through a couple of overdrive pedals i picked up.
    I got a Jetter Gold which sounds great and a Wampler Plexi drive deluxe which I really am digging. And I played through my 1975 Princeton reverb my Dad got me for Christmas back in 1975. The rig sounds phenomenal.
    16174982607552145425155.jpg

20. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Fired up the Axe FX & Cubase and started experimenting with the workflow for recording DI tracks alongside processed tracks, then reamping the DI tracks and recording the output. It's cool, because I can load a template, crank out ideas and not worry much about tone in the moment. Didn't record anything too serious, just playing with the process for the moment.

-m

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.