What did you do today that was guitar or music related?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jelly Roll Horton, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Well, you just reminded me. I've spent an hour or two playing my new Sire Marcus Miller V7 Bass.

I guess this is as good a place as any to show a NBD!

MM Bass.jpg

Hard to tell in the photo but it is a lovely one piece ash body in a blonde finish. Can't believe the value for money here.

Apart from that I picked up a used Alesis SR-16 because I'm sick and tired of the drummer in our 10 piece orchestra not turning up for practice.

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    After nearly one year of owning it I would like to dig a little deeper into the functions of my Spark amp today.
    Let`s see whether my wife has other plans what to do with my day off...

radd likes this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Put some serious time in playing my guitar without a pick. Not to be confused with finger picking. It’s a process I want to learn and I hope at some point to play 75% of time without a pick. Essentially I’d like play the same without a pick.....if that makes any sense. Would also relieve some pressure from my thumb joint.

mbkri, radd and new6659 like this.
  4. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Backtrack to Sunday and we continued mixing our album.
    It has been so long since i heard the proper versions of our songs and by golly was i annoyed with how amateur i sounded!
    I re recorded some parts and tweaked a few bits. Now i’m thinking i should redo more. The original studio recordings were done in a large room and i had to fight the guitar, this little studio we’re mixing in (the guys front room) makes things much easier to play and feel comfortable with. I thought my demoitis was cured.....

5. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    My day started with Josh on YouTube doing a cover of John Martyn’s May you never, so I followed that up with a John Martyn indulgence from the music collection. Then weekly band practice, just me and the two singers this week. I always feel better after a few hours with the band. Now some Gretsch Talk to finish off the day, and off to the guitar shop to get some fresh strings, remove the scratchy noise from the pots, and get an opinion on the different ease of turning on the machine heads tomorrow.

6. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    ...packed up every bit of music gear I have - guitars, drums, rig, pedals, etc - and stashed it away for two months in preparation for a home sale and moving. It's gonna be a depressing few months. But I'm transporting all of it (and firearms) 1000 miles myself. It's all about custody, and it will be a freezing day in Hades before I leave my valuables in the custody of a moving company for several days. It will be like Christmas when I crack it all open again.

:(

7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good luck. The one thing I learned from moving is you’ll know how to prioritise your belongings quick. Screw comfy couches LOL.

AZBrahma likes this.
  8. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Preparing to get new pickups into my epiphone wildkat 20210330_150545.jpg

9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ll take that as a vote for the black pickguard then, haha. I’d rather leave the rosewood natural than darken it. But I really do favor darker boards. At least it’s rosewood. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ricochet likes this.
  10. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It looks so good already I wouldn't change anything based on looking for a visual improvement.

Merc likes this.
  11. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
  12. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    If posting and reading on here and the GDP counts ,then there ya go.
    Oh ,and searching the web for deals on used geets that i can't afford because i just blew all my geet money at the end of last month.Funny how many there is ,now that i can't afford them...:rolleyes:
    I try to get a quick strum in too.

mbkri, new6659 and Jelly Roll Horton like this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I haven’t picked up my guitar in a month. Been playing violin and drums and a touch of mando. Today practicing drums. I think it is about the best way to really get a handle on rhythm. New line up of Meinl cymbals this year and snares and I’m making them work. Mando and guitar will be fire up again on about a month if not a week or two.

14. collama

collama Gretschie

Sep 4, 2017
    Colorado
    About 90 min of practice, but a lot of it unstructured. Mostly messing with chord progressions I’m working on and melodies to go with them. Also spent some time figuring out and playing along with some easy songs, like Dylan’s Everything is Broken. Convinced myself NOT to buy another OD pedal.

15. JustAskN93

JustAskN93 Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Washington, MO
    I had a guitar lesson and also worked on recording parts for a song I wrote

16. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Looked for a soft/hard case , like the baby taylor, that would fit my Gin Ricky acoustic. Any suggestions?

17. THE BALD REVEREND

THE BALD REVEREND Electromatic

Jul 14, 2020
    MILAN - ITALY
    Practicing on my very very raw look slide , for which i have planned to spend Easter weekend in sandpapering surface to make it ready for following step : coloring by wax layer and complete
    refretting ( even if no frets are on the fretboard ) . In case i save some room , a bit of fun with my 5120 , 5230 and Fender amp .
    Ohhhh , and a skype dobro lesson with my teacher Paolo Ercoli ( a great one ! ) .
    Happy Easter from Italy !

Archtops likes this.
  18. NewbieBob

NewbieBob Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    New York City
    Kept working on fingerstyle blues lessons from Activemelody on my Streamliner G2420 through Spark amp with a Duane Eddy voicing with reverb and tremelo. Sounds and feels fantastic.

bhatta likes this.
  19. Blewzman

Blewzman Electromatic

Dec 7, 2017
    Bella Visa
    Listened to the set list for Easter services, getting them into my head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.